Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distance to the moon . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
I've used these on a couple of our old Volvos:

Click to view attachment

During my post-MX check drive today, I noticed I'm within about 150 miles of needing one for the 914. w00t.gif

May have to see if I can get something like this made. Anybody else getting close?

Tom_T
My 2nd owner since 12/75 `73 914-2.0 is at +/- 172k, but I probably won't drive it as much after the resto/repair to ever reach that level.

However, our 2 DDs: original owner `88 Westy is at 225k+/- & OO `85 BMW 325e is at 200k+/- so they may soon "reach the moon."

Also, our son's `88 Honda Civic DX Hatchback is at 225K+/- & he drives it a lot as one of his/wife's DDs, & it has been in my wife's family since new with 2 of her 5 brothers as owners. so he's also close & does more annual miles than we do, so he'll hit it before us.

I'd love to get some of those decals, if you ever do them. Just send a PM or start a new Buy/GB topic on here.

PS - Since our Westy will hit it first, I'lll put it right next to this decal: biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
... ^ to the left is the Proud Parents of a Soldier" decal which peeled off & I need a new one, so "Moon" would go to the right or above the "0-60: 30 mins." one.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
anderssj
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 10 2017, 12:55 PM) *

I'd love to get some of those decals, if you ever do them. Just send a PM or start a new Buy/GB topic on here.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Will do! It will look nice shining down on the Westy biggrin.gif
911buff
I'm not sure which is more impressive, the 914 making 238K miles or the odometer actually working to record the event! rolleyes.gif

Thinking about it, would have to be the odometer... I have every confidence in a 914 lasting forever, just not the odometer. That might be a fun thread; "Who still has a working odometer?"
stugray
QUOTE(911buff @ Aug 10 2017, 12:57 PM) *

Thinking about it, would have to be the odometer... I have every confidence in a 914 lasting forever, just not the odometer. That might be a fun thread; "Who still has a working odometer?"

Wait! These Odometers were supposed TO WORK?

That is a new one on me..... In fact, I don't think Ive ever had a 914 that had a working speedometer.... who needs that?

I drove my first 914 for years with a missing angle drive on the trans.
Finally replaced the angle drive and broke the speedo cable in the first 10 miles.
Never replaced the cable after that...
Tom_T
Two things on the 914 odometers (& speedometers/etc. gear) -

1st - You have to log the 100,000s manually in a log book with a 5-digit odometer (i.e.: how many times it's "turned over");

2nd - stuff like the speedo/odo/cables/angle drives/ etc. can & will break over time - on ANY vehicle of any make or model - so you have to fix the stuff & check the entire system out after fixing one item (e.g.: Stu's speedo cable had probably seized before the break after years of disuse). And if you get your speedo rebuilt - like I did in 1982 - then you need to ask them to set it at the prior mileage to keep it accurate.

But I know a few members on here have "turned over" at least 3x for 300K - so our little 914s do have some longevity.

I think there are a few on here you have made the moon - perhaps even a few to the moon & back - maybe even Stu, but he doesn't know, nor really care I guess! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
anderssj
OK Tom,

I contacted Dave Barton who put together the original. He's already put together a generic version for non-Volvo folks:

Click to view attachment

I originally thought about "car"--but wasn't sure where your Westy would fit, so I suggested he use "vehicle" instead. A little broader, and I thought it sounded kind of "NASA goes to the moon" too. biggrin.gif

If you're interested, here's a link:

http://www.prancingmoose.com/carstickers.html#vehicle

BTW, I have no relationship with Dave or any of his products--I'm only in it for the sticker for the 914. smile.gif

Tom_T
Thanx Much Steve!

I can get them for both our Westy & son's Honda, & probably a couple of extras for the BMW (maybe 914?), & in case they peel/fade or I need to change a rear window, etc.

At +/- 30000 mi/yr per car at this point - what with both kids grown & gone, & wife working 2 mi away & me at home office + meetings/site visits/etc. out - it may take a few years to actually get to the 239K odo reading though with the Westy & BMW.

However, our son may make it within a year - depending upon how much He & wife drive the Honda DD after he gets his new Tesla S 75D later this month. He was doing +/-20K mi/yr with the Honda in local DD + 2 trips/yr of block leaves from Ft Carson/Colorado Springs to OC/SoCal & back. driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Frankvw
Easier to reach...problably with a working odo meter
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Aug 11 2017, 11:37 AM) *

Easier to reach...problably with a working odo meter
Click to view attachment

There are sellers on TheSamba.com who sell that &/or similar badges, FYI for anyone who wants one, but AFAIK not available in miles.

And I've almost earned 3 for my 914, 3 going on 4 for the Westy, & 3+ for the BMW - if there's a BMW equivalent! biggrin.gif

PS - To save you the time of googling for a conversion to miles > 100,000 km = 62,137.119 miles

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TheCabinetmaker
I've been to the moon and back
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 12 2017, 01:14 PM) *

I've been to the moon and back

Sorry Curt, those "trips" in Thailand don't count! laugh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TheCabinetmaker
Those trips were in Norman, ok. Lol. Aww! College in the seventies.
mankowski
Mine's had at least two odometer failures! A receipt from the original owner shows an odometer repair in Feb. '90 (167K) and then I repaired the gears after it stopped at 229K.

Now, there are just a few hundred more miles to go to get to the moon (currently at 236,837).

Thanks for telling us about this milestone in time for me to celebrate! And, count me in for one or two of the decals...

One of my Vanagons is getting close, too (224K). And it's odometer was broken when I bought it, so who knows how much more it may have.

And, my Tercel (245K) has been to the moon, but of course, lots of those make it there (and no broken odometers).

Most of my free time seems to go to keeping these vehicles running for their trip back to Earth!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.