Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barn Find - What Did I Do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I got a little excited piratenanner.gif ....I told a friend and he got excited piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif . Result?

We're the new owners of a (crustier than anticipated) dry.gif 1975 with 2.7 Subaru /6. I think we bit off more than we can deal with, not sure. Bought the car based on a few pictures and bought remotely. Car has been sitting for about 3 years. Engine is a 2.7 Subaru ER JDM SOHC . Car threw one of the timing belts and owner says he parked it.

Our intent was to get a decent car, fix it up a little drive it around for a few months; then maybe sell it and start again with a different car...friend is new to all this. SO as the car arrived and was put up on a lift at a friends shop; things unfold...

This one is probably toast or too old to deal with. May be missing the ECU. Probably looking at needing a new engine; can keep Subaru if easy or go small bock chevy. I don't know anything about Subaru engines so not sure if this mount and adaptor will work. Also this cable shifter looks complicated.

Just learned some of the car car work is documented here; maybe someone here knows the car....it's not in the database.

My first inclination is to sell it as is to somebody with the means to turn it into a cool car. PM me if this is your dream project....

So looking for any advice in regards to "what would you do if you were me". Very limited on budget, space, spousal cooperation, etc.

$.02 comment have validity so open to hear ideas.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Larmo63
It doesn't look horribly rusted....?
jd74914
That's one of the original conversions...always wondered where it ended up.
7TPorsh
No it's not rotted out at all. It's solid, it's all surface rust dust. It has a lot of potential but I'm not sure it something we can get into this deep. Looking for ideas....a buyer....

76-914
WTF.gif Is that front engine bar running through the oil pan? confused24.gif
Mueller
Wow, Eric Tischer, that sure brings back some memories.

I'd throw another Subaru motor in it and enjoy it.

7TPorsh
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 22 2017, 01:47 PM) *

Wow, Eric Tischer, that sure brings back some memories.

I'd throw another Subaru motor in it and enjoy it.

Any insight would be appreciated. I am thinking another sub motor. Another 6 or turbo 4? Will the motor mounts and adaptor be the same?
worn
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 22 2017, 02:45 PM) *

Any insight would be appreciated. I am thinking another sub motor. Another 6 or turbo 4? Will the motor mounts and adaptor be the same?

I find myself wondering what you had in mind when you bought the car. I mean I would be excited too. Looks like a really fun project. Still it might easily require money, space and spousal approval to unleash the fun. Good luck.
Chris H.
You might find this interesting...

etischer.com

Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 22 2017, 07:44 PM) *

etischer.com

He had that link on the 1st post of this subject smile.gif
7TPorsh
I think we're going to throw a belt on it and crank it up see if it spins. If yes then get the car running. If not then looking at a new engine...

Anyone know if the newer engines use the same mounting points?
mgp4591
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 23 2017, 08:49 AM) *

I think we're going to throw a belt on it and crank it up see if it spins. If yes then get the car running. If not then looking at a new engine...

Anyone know if the newer engines use the same mounting points?

I've never heard of a Subaru 2.7 - what's it out of? That would help you determine what you'd want to replace it with.
7TPorsh
ER27 engine was in the model XT6 shown here....

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Looking at KEP engine lists, it looks like you might be screwed unless you can find the same /6 engine.

I am guessing that the 5500 is there part number for the kit, so if that is true you need same 2.7 motor or an anemic 1800cc motor sad.gif

5500 Subaru 1800 OHC, Loyale, opposed, computer controlled engine. 85-97 HP or 115 turbo. LENGTH: 16"; HEIGHT: 12"

5500 Subaru 2.7 OHC, '91 XT6, 24 valve, opposed. 145 HP.

Example of other kit:
6500 Subaru 3.3 SVX, '92-96 24 valve, 3.0 opposed ; 230 HP; WEIGHT: 387 lbs.; LENGTH: 21"; HEIGHT: 15"

It couldn't hurt to call KEP, could just be a flywheel or just a plate instead of both and who knows maybe they have something laying around they could give you a deal on.
Andyrew
I remember that car as well, I think he gave me a ride in it a long time ago on one of the Roadglue drives.
stugray
Is that particular motor considered high performance?
(Is it a "Interference motor"?)

If it IS an interference motor, losing a timing belt while running means it is probably toast.

The good news IS: If it truly has a timing BELT and not a CHAIN, it likely is NOT an interference motor.

Good Luck!
rgalla9146
At least it has KYBs
914forme
Yes it is an interference engine. Not really a HP engine 150HP, but good enough to push a 914 along. Would I redo it, no, but that being said, I would find another and just put it in there and be done.

Chris H.
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 22 2017, 10:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 22 2017, 07:44 PM) *

etischer.com

He had that link on the 1st post of this subject smile.gif

I'm slow Mike, you know that by now biggrin.gif .

Hey I am finding evidence this might not be interference. The earlier Subaru engines were not. Several forums saying it specifically but I have not found the factory manual (yet). If it's in good shape and not internally damaged it might be worth considering buying a $50 ECU off e-bay and a timing belt (kinda weird that there are two of them!). 145 HP but more torquey than a 4. Better than throwing it away if it runs good.

7TPorsh
Well I've gotten my hands in there and it seems the camshaft and rest of the engine "turns". Moves a little by hand and some more with wrenching help. I have the ecu hooked up already. Short course may be to line it up, throw a belt on and a battery and crank it to see what happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.