Full Version: Transmission rebuild clinic, VA 12/30-31
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dr Evil
Happening Dec 30-31.

UPDATE 11/1/17 - Address is
3200 Roxbury Rd
Charles City, VA 23030

Don't stay at the Star Motel! Its close, but nasty.

After talking with some folks, I think it would help to know ball park figures on repair cost as parts will depend on your needs. Usual cost including tuition, new bearings, seal kit, and the usual worn out parts (All used parts - 1st teeth/band/slider, 2nd teeth/band/slider) is about $1450. The maximum cost I could calculate with all parts, the bearings, seal kit, tuition, and a new 1/R slider is $1900.

Also, say your box needs something done, new R/P which I will not have time to replace likely at the clinic, I will take it back with me and do it at the shop and ship it out to you. With shipping, parts, labor this scenario would cost you an additional $550. So, worst case then would be $2450. Not bad for a rebuilt Porsche transmission. However, this scenario has never happened. Food for thought.

If you want to save $100-115 on shipping then feel free to drop off any box you want rebuilt to Scotty's shop and I will retrieve it after the clinic and take it back to the shop and place it in line for rebuild.

Also, contact me if you have cores local or between Columbus, OH and Richmond, VA for sale as I may be interested in picking some up.

UPDATE 10/22/17 - This is happening the weekend of New Years, Sat and Sun. Plan for a long session Sat in particular. Since the list is more finalized I will set up PM with info on bearings and such. I can group buy stuff and save you lots of $$.

Original post:
"So, some of you have kept up with my shit show of a personal life and can understand why I was not doing clinics for a while. Also, I have had to adapt and research to changes in our boxes as what worked 10 yrs ago may not work now; ex would be using old bearings. I have secured a source for new bearings and have verified in many builds that they are robust, and to factory spec, so they can be easily installed. Thus, I am able to once again start offering clinics as my time allows.

I have discussed it with Scotty B and he has graciously offered up his new shop near Richmond, VA as a venue for the clinic. It is within half a days drive for me so it is doable without me missing days from my day job that pays my bills. As soon as I get more time off saved up I will look into doing other clinics around the country, and Canada (yo, Mark!).

So, how does this go? Since there are a lot of new folks on here, click on the links in my sig below to see how we have done these in the past. I am keeping the cost the same ($300/head and 18 and below are free, free to spectate, take pics, etc), but expect to buy new bearing sets off of me. If you insist on using old bearings, I will not warranty that they will last. The more people that we get bearing sets, the cheaper for everyone. Not sure what I will cut off the class size at, I haven't been to Scotty's shop yet to see and will talk more with him as we have done them at his old place in the past and he is savvy.

When? Towards the end of the year is the earliest. Early Dec is looking like a possibility.

Lets see what interest we can generate!

Also, I am always willing to do a clinic here at my shop in OH, 43160. However, I am planning to sell the house/barn and move to the city and I am not sure I will have such a luxurious structure to do such things at in the future. (Divorce is a bitch!).

Guys from LA and NorCal have contacted me privately, they are needing/wanting, and I would love to meet that need as soon as I can. I just need to time off of work.

Washington, Mr242 has lit the fire and you are on my radar.

Canada, I can drive it in a day and Mark has a great place to host (and he just basically kicks ass).

Any others wanna throw their location in as a possible?

Post up here if interested, PM me if very serious and I will assemble a list of parts purchasers so I can see about getting a group discount from my suppliers. Man, I missed doing these smile.gif"

VA clinic list update 12/10/17

nditiz1 - T*/S/B
LowBridge and son - T/S/B
bahnzai - T/S/B/SL
Movin6 - T/S/B
BENBRO02 - S/B/SL
Cuddyk - B/S
billsimmeth - B/SL
wndsrfr - Bringing for inspection

EdwardBlume
This is welcome news!

For anyone not knowing the value, expertise, and beer drinking abilities of the kind Dr., just do a search.

If need a box, there you go.

Great to see you doing this again! aktion035.gif
BeatNavy
Sweet! I just redid a box earlier this year watching each chapter of your video about 100 times to make sure I wasn't screwing something up, but I'd still like to do this in person. Count me as definitely interested.
bandjoey
Texas in the Spring smash.gif
flyer86d
I’d be interested in attending. I have a 902/1 box to freshen up for the 68 911 I am building. Since it came with the tub when I bought it, I have no clue as to the condition. Where is Scotty’s in Virginia? My oldest son went to Virginia Tech and that was about 12 hours from here in central Vermont.

Charlie
BeatNavy
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Oct 4 2017, 02:36 PM) *

Where is Scotty’s in Virginia?

A little East of Richmond off of I-64. My son's at Tech now and I was just there last weekend for the Clemson game dry.gif ...nowhere near Tech.
rhodyguy
If you come back here I suggest some place other than the far side of Shelton.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2017, 02:51 PM) *

So, the far side of Shelton keeps the riff raff out. Gotcha. happy11.gif

Texas is a definite possibility. Its a big state, though, so where?

As for where in VA, I only know where his old shop was in Charles City (IIRC) and his new place is near that. I sent him a message letting him know I opened this can of worms so he can chime in with particulars on that.
76-914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 4 2017, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2017, 02:51 PM) *

So, the far side of Shelton keeps the riff raff out. Gotcha. happy11.gif

Texas is a definite possibility. Its a big state, though, so where?

As for where in VA, I only know where his old shop was in Charles City (IIRC) and his new place is near that. I sent him a message letting him know I opened this can of worms so he can chime in with particulars on that.

Most of the TX members are in San Antonio. Austin, Houston or the DFW area. Austin is the most convenient and central of those being 188 from DFW, 160 from Houston and 78 from San Antonio. I see TY75's in you future Doc. hide.gif
altitude411
Yea! cheer.gif So glad that you are jumpin back into the pool. first.gif

*(...Someone call maintenance and let them know...) huh.gif

Click to view attachment
jesse7flying
+1 for TX. DFW would be great!!
Jesse
crash914
I can offer up my new shop also if you want to do one further north...
Mark Henry
So I get this PM with just "So?" This "So" guy has quite the nerve. dry.gif

Yes Evil I can host another one.... rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
Mr.242
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2017, 11:51 AM) *

Well a Shelon location is better than what Kevin offered!
I can help by housing Dr. Evil, don't have a shop place other than Shelton. So who's offering a spot in the Seattle area?
aharder
+1 For Texas, yes Dallas would be good but I'll be good for anyplace in Texas !! beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Dude, I would love to do an Austin one and have contacts there (non 914). Always need a place to do it and an agreement on trading service and goods for the rent. biggrin.gif
nditiz1
I am in for a VA one, even better if you used the shop in MD since its even closer for me biggrin.gif
cn2800
Another 'yes' for one in Texas! My shop is available for use, but I'm up in the panhandle, which wouldn't be much help for the folks down south.
rhodyguy
Just so you know mark, I offered my place if no one else stepped up prior to you and mike deciding upon Shelton. We clear on that one?
wndsrfr
Very interested in the Richmond clinic....likely will have two 901's to get into....

John
Mark Henry
Looking at my schedule a "Dr Evil's Canadian Tranny Clinic" would have to be somewhere mid-Jan at the earliest, but just about any weekend right through the spring should be good to go.
Later in the spring for the any brave enough to camp, but there's hotels and BnB's in the area. Or winter my shop is heated if you have a cot.

As usual the Evil one scams a soft bed in the house. shades.gif
Calwaterbear
Im in if and when you get to California
Mr.242
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 4 2017, 04:39 PM) *

Just so you know mark, I offered my place if no one else stepped up prior to you and mike deciding upon Shelton. We clear on that one?

Offer up this time. No need being in the past. smile.gif
Krieger
You have a place to stay in N Cal if you need.
David in VA
Definitely in for one in/near Richmond.
mobymutt
I'd be interested in attending one at Mark's. Actually, I wouldn't even mind doing a road trip for one, but I probably can't attend until the new year.
motorvated
Denver?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(motorvated @ Oct 5 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Denver?

Sure, I could hit up Gint if he still lives there. Ill be posting a list shortly for the VA folks so I can keep tally.

As for Canada, that would have to be Spring as I wont be ready until after Jan and its winter. No igloo rebuild clinic.
cn2800
QUOTE(motorvated @ Oct 5 2017, 12:57 PM) *

Denver?

Denver also works for me.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Matty900
Mark and I have talked about getting you to come out to Oregon to 914 Rubber fpr a clinic. How many guy's do you need for a trip out?
Morrie
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 4 2017, 01:26 PM) *

Texas in the Spring smash.gif

+1.
Mblizzard
Done this in Richmond. Would do it again! Cold take someone's tranny an build it for them. You just learn so much from the Dr.!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Oct 7 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Mark and I have talked about getting you to come out to Oregon to 914 Rubber fpr a clinic. How many guy's do you need for a trip out?

Hey Matty,

I try to go 10-20 people. Less would just cost more, but could be more intimate and we could do some extra stuff maybe. So far, I haven't ever had a problem getting 10 people for my clinics that require flight expense. Id be down for OR at the Rubber Palace.
JmuRiz
Don't need a trans rebuild, but if there's a BBQ/event at Scotty's, I'll be there biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 10 2017, 01:42 PM) *

Don't need a trans rebuild, but if there's a BBQ/event at Scotty's, I'll be there biggrin.gif

That will be half price then. I gotta keep my star status rolleyes.gif
LowBridge
I'm in (coming from MA) and would also like to do my synchros. if my son (21yrs) and I come together is that $600?
billh1963
Put me down for attending at ScottyB's
lvnzdrm
Transmission built from last clinic at Scottys still running great. I'd be in for lending a hand and talking shop.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Oct 10 2017, 03:39 PM) *

I'm in (coming from MA) and would also like to do my synchros. if my son (21yrs) and I come together is that $600?

As per our PMs, and to make it clear here, if it's you and your son building one box then basically consider one of y'all a spectator, $300 is all.
68911l
I'm in for the Richmond clinic
flippa
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 10 2017, 10:04 AM) *

Less would just cost more, but could be more intimate and we could do some extra stuff maybe.

blink.gif

unsure.gif

Not that there is anything wrong with that. grouphug.gif wub.gif

flippa
Just messing with ya Mike. biggrin.gif

I attended one several years ago at Mort's place in NY. It was a great time hanging out, wrenching, drinking and eating. An event that shouldn't be missed.

I would stop by just for the company and party if it wasn't so far away.
bahnzai
I would like to do the Richmond clinic, if I can make the date, once it is settled. Typically what is the price for the bearings above the clinic cost?
Thanks!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(flippa @ Oct 10 2017, 09:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 10 2017, 10:04 AM) *

Less would just cost more, but could be more intimate and we could do some extra stuff maybe.

blink.gif

unsure.gif

Not that there is anything wrong with that. grouphug.gif wub.gif

lol-2.gif

Man, I need to proof read better. Sounds like Im prostituting, and not the usually metaphorical sense.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Oct 10 2017, 11:10 PM) *

I would like to do the Richmond clinic, if I can make the date, once it is settled. Typically what is the price for the bearings above the clinic cost?
Thanks!

Sent ya a PM. I don't advertise my parts prices and they will vary based on how many decide to attend.
Keith914
I am in for a Southern California clinic.
forrestkhaag
SoCal or AZ and I'm all in / on your schedule.

Cheers
beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
Also: Dr. , I have a place in Laguna Beach (SoCal) and in Scottsdale AZ with an extra bedroom and fridge full of beer if you need a place to stay while teaching your magic in this area.

Forrest

beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Ooooo, this sounds doable smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.