Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Momo parts quality?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
stromberg.gif is my only description of the wheel hub I bought off a Momo dealer on ebay.
Following issues;
914 VDM horn contact ring won't fit correctly,
hub spline is too thick,hub nut not fully on column shaft thread,
hub earths on steering column,without spacer on shaft.
Contacted the seller and he claims to have stated the stock horn contact ring may not fit in his auction,nothing to that effect,checked it,its so far out the cancel piece is a long way out from being centre on the RH side.
No where on the box is "made in Italy",the instructions say so but these could be easily copied,really thinking its a Chinese "knock off",anyone had this issue.
Vent over ok...anyone else had this issue.
TIA
Click to view attachment
arne
Is that a solid mount? I don’t think Momo has made those in many years. You may have a counterfeit.
tygaboy
I recently bought an NRG shift knob. Their official site call out a number of known bad actor ebay sellers that counterfeit.
Sad that these dickwads are out there but we all have to be careful.
porschetub
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 10 2017, 04:18 PM) *

I recently bought an NRG shift knob. Their official site call out a number of known bad actor ebay sellers that counterfeit.
Sad that these dickwads are out there but we all have to be careful.

Thanks mate ,I think that's what I have,the return email was less that happy from the seller...like he had been caught out,too late to lodge a complaint on the auction as the pic I used was only a test fit and I put my stock wheel back on,live and learn headbang.gif .
My original wheel removed to give my long legs some room with the smaller aftermarket wheel ;
Click to view attachment
Its just not hard to see its poorly made,atleast without adding spacer I had the horn sounding without contact ring until the fuse was pulled ....says it all sad.gif .
Arne this is adaptor #8002 and as far I know the only one offer for later 914's.
Coondog
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 9 2017, 08:07 PM) *

Is that a solid mount? I don’t think Momo has made those in many years. You may have a counterfeit.

I ordered mine from Amazon and it came with a solid mount. Works great. Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
Ebay has a ton of Momo and other brand steering wheels and such shipping from China. I don't know if it's all fakes or downgraded Chinese market stuff. With so much manufacturing being sent to China it's hard to tell these days.

I know Spal has a Chinese factory now. And all aluminum radiators/condensers/heaters are made in China.
sithot
FWIW; Mark Morrissey (Early S Registry) is the author of an article regarding a rare MOMO wheel for 000 Magazine. He is a respected steering wheel expert. I'm sure he'd give us all an earful about what's out here for sale.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mark+morris...440&bih=751

whitetwinturbo
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif knock off ??
GeorgeRud
I thought that new hubs had to be collapsible, not solid anymore. The hub for my MOMO wheel is that type and I bought it years ago.
porschetub
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 13 2017, 03:11 AM) *

I thought that new hubs had to be collapsible, not solid anymore. The hub for my MOMO wheel is that type and I bought it years ago.

George I did see anything else other than the solid #8002 listed on Ebay for the 914,I notice the front of the hub around the spline has no machined face where the the nut and washer go ,that would explain why the nut won't thread fully on.
I'am going to open up the hole where the horn wire goes so I can get the horn contact ring fitting closer to the 3 o'clock position.
Now have little doubt it is a "knock off'' the more I look @ it.

sithot
I have purchased a steering wheel from this vendor.

Classico Wheels
http://www.classicowheels.com/porschewheels.htm
mepstein
QUOTE(sithot @ Oct 12 2017, 05:40 PM) *

I have purchased a steering wheel from this vendor.

Classico Wheels
http://www.classicowheels.com/porschewheels.htm

I’ve talked to him. good guy. Very knowledgeable and friendly.
sithot
https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/
Keith and Aaron are stand-up guys. Zuffenhaus is known for the road wheel design, licensed to Fiske and used on the Singer 911. The big brake 2.8 RSR/917 kit is something to behold.

Steering Wheel Hubs:

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/early-911...ering-hub-80mm/

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/late-911-steering-hub/
76-914
That's deplorable. I believe several folks here have had a rotten experience when dealing with Ebay at one time or another. I don't mind paying a few $$ more when dealing with Amazon because they will take anything back. Ebay should change their act and get off their ever loving arses and do a little house cleaning. ar15.gif
NeunEinVier
Buying on Amazon is only safer than eBay if you're actually buying FROM Amazon corporate.

If you're buying from an Amazon seller, you're getting the same stuff that's on eBay, but paying two to five times the price. If it's something like USB cables or little electronics from China, you might as well check the reviews on Amazon and then buy the exact same item directly from an eBay seller in China or Taiwan. The item might have a different brand name, but you can tell by the appearance if it's the same item or not.
steuspeed
I would be suspect of anything being sold from China. Buy used or NOS if you can. momo has the date stamp on the back. I have the solid mount I bought off ebay about 6 years ago. No issues with fit. My wheel I bought over 10 years ago from ebay in Japan. Seen many ads from the seller over the years. He sells a lot of wheels. I love the 350mm size. Perfect for stalk controls and arm rest distance. The car came with a 320mm and it was too small. Picked up a matching momo shift knob.

Front yard mechanic
Ahh yes remember the good old days when stuff was made in Taiwan
Mike Bellis
It's bad out there right now. There is even Chinese counterfeits of Chinese made parts. Fakes are looking closer and closer to real parts. This is more than industry wide. Counterfeits can be found in every market.
Maltese Falcon
And it's a sad day for the consumer getting ripped off by the counterfeiters / the rightful mfg is getting ripped off by Ebay as well. In my (MSDS inc."mfg ") recent legal experiences trying to get EBay to "Take down " counterfeiter ads that are selling bad copies of our exhausts ...Ebay denies any wrong doing by it's legal department in keeping counterfeiters in check. Our attorney has provided " Cease and desist " settlement documents signed by the culprits, and EBay still won't pull their sales listings. The sweet spot here is Money, you see; EBay makes commission off of each sale ...they really don't care if you legally have any rights (IPR, trademark, etc.) or not to a given product...Ebay will collect sales commissions and tell the honest folk to go fly a kite. Yes it happens to Momo wheels too sad.gif
somd914
My son has a bit of a side business dealing in classic wheels. Thanks to him I've replaced my newer Prototipos with ones from the 70's - the older wheels weigh more, and there is a slight bit of noticeable flex in the newer ones when installed that you can't feel in the older ones. Momo reportedly has also moved to stamped leather grain in place of top grain leather.

As for date stamping, I believe Momo didn't start date stamping their wheels until well into the '70s.

Cheap hubs from China are prevalent and junk, if not unsafe...
sithot
The fine print is very clear if buying a car at an auction like RM, Gooding, BJ etc. Due diligence is up to the buyer. I don't treat eBay any differently.

PayPal is another can of worms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.