Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI Dunlop SP Sport 5000 195/65 BF $54
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
For anyone looking for new tires, Walmart is having a sale on these in particular. Dunlop SP Sport 5000 @ $54 a tire on Black Friday.

No affiliation - Others have stated these suck ;-p
jesse7flying
I might bite on this. Anyone heard anything good or bad about this particular tire? I had a particularly bad experience with Dunlop tires, but it was thirty years ago. I'm still holding a grudge, lol.
Jesse
thelogo
Sounds intriguing
But my walmart doesn't have a tire center in it .

And no way im camping out for black friday

Other then that it could fill my void since i do need tyres

welder.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Nov 13 2017, 12:27 PM) *

I might bite on this. Anyone heard anything good or bad about this particular tire? I had a particularly bad experience with Dunlop tires, but it was thirty years ago. I'm still holding a grudge, lol.
Jesse

I have had these on my car. They ride like crap and the rubber compound is harder then hell.

Not a ringing endorsement.
jesse7flying
Thanks for the feedback. Sure like the price, but I didn't like most of the reviews I've seen. I really need a set of tires that won't break the bank. The search continues.
914_teener
When it comes tires and brakes get the best you can afford.

These are what stops you and is the only thing connecting you to the road. I only had them because they were on my car when I bought it years ago.
euro911
I run the Kumho Solus Experts (195/65-15) on the 'BB'.

Click to view attachment

Quiet, grabby, nice tread design, and they're not expensive. Not sure if they still make the particular 'Expert style, but see they sell something very similar.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?me...um=965TR5KH16V2
falcor75
I had SP6000 on my 964 when I bought it. For car that doesnt see track or autocross its probably ok, changed the tires to Michelins after the first season and it felt like a new car.
jesse7flying
For anyone still looking for a cheap set of tires, I found Hankook Optima H724s at Wally World for $52.49 each in the 195/65-15 size. The reviews I've found for the tire are a lot better than for the Dunlops in the OP, but let's be real, it's still a cheap tire. For those of us who only drive on nice weather weekends, they might be good enough and it's hard to beat the price.
porschetub
I would never go Dunlop again had the SP 3000's on my BMW e39 touring...a truly awful tyre.
I run Hankooks on my Audi's and on my six conversion ,I go for top of range on these and very pleased with them.
Many ''namebrand'' tyres sold in my country are older designs and overpriced for what you get.
nditiz1
Updated original post to reflect reviews biggrin.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Nov 15 2017, 11:04 AM) *

For anyone still looking for a cheap set of tires, I found Hankook Optima H724s at Wally World for $52.49 each in the 195/65-15 size. The reviews I've found for the tire are a lot better than for the Dunlops in the OP, but let's be real, it's still a cheap tire. For those of us who only drive on nice weather weekends, they might be good enough and it's hard to beat the price.

agree.gif +1 on the Hankook Optima. I run these on both the 914 and the Mazda pickup. A fine tire with long tread life.
Socalandy
FYI, in the case of blowout sales of tires check the DOT dates on them. When the stock gets old or a certain tire is not moving they will dump them and in some cases you get a tire that is already 2,3 or more years old chair.gif
jesse7flying
Great point Andy. I will check the dates on the tires before I accept them for mounting on my wheels.
Rand
Think about it. What kinds of products do retailers blow out crazy black Friday deals on? The great quality parts you want, or the crap they want to dump?
jesse7flying
As an update for anyone following this thread, I picked up my tires today and they were dated 32/17. Pretty fresh.. Now we'll see how they ride.
Jesse
nditiz1
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Nov 21 2017, 11:44 AM) *

As an update for anyone following this thread, I picked up my tires today and they were dated 32/17. Pretty fresh.. Now we'll see how they ride.
Jesse

Jesse

Which did you go with?
jesse7flying
The Hankook Optima. The reviews on that tire were way better than the feedback I got on the OP tire. BTW, they did a crappy job of mounting the tires. The weights were all over the place. I should have spent a few more bucks and taken them to Discount Tire for mounting. Live and learn.
I was happy enough with the Optima that I ordered a fifth as a spare.
Jesse
euro911
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 15 2017, 01:13 PM) *
FYI, in the case of blowout sales of tires check the DOT dates on them. When the stock gets old or a certain tire is not moving they will dump them and in some cases you get a tire that is already 2,3 or more years old chair.gif
Yep. When I order tires, I have the salesman verify they aren't more than 6 months old prior to shipping cool_shades.gif
euro911
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Nov 21 2017, 01:19 PM) *
The Hankook Optima. The reviews on that tire were way better than the feedback I got on the OP tire. BTW, they did a crappy job of mounting the tires. The weights were all over the place. I should have spent a few more bucks and taken them to Discount Tire for mounting. Live and learn.
I was happy enough with the Optima that I ordered a fifth as a spare.
Jesse
I mount my own tires at an autoshop class (that I've been involved with since 2007). When balancing, if I have to add a lot of weights, I deflate, break the bead, rotate the tire(s) 180° to see if it balances better. I've gone as far as to do it multiple times to an extra 90° and was able to eliminate all the weights (if within 0.5 oz.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.