Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Be wary of the 914 in Chino CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Tdskip
Be careful - this car has been hit and is rusty. Seller misrepresented the condition of the car and is refusing to refund my deposit.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/p...6445469476.html
AmjadY
Well that sucks!
I hope he burns in 'used car salesman hell'

what goes around comes around!

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 2 2018, 05:15 PM) *

Be careful - this car has been hit and is rusty. Seller totally misrepresented the condition of the car and is refusing to refund my deposit.

Tdskip
QUOTE(AmjadY @ Jan 6 2018, 07:29 AM) *

Well that sucks!
I hope he burns in 'used car salesman hell'

what goes around comes around!

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 2 2018, 05:15 PM) *

Be careful - this car has been hit and is rusty. Seller totally misrepresented the condition of the car and is refusing to refund my deposit.

He is trying to sell it on IE and Sacramento Craigslist, I've posted a warning in both places. He has not disclosed the issues on either listing.

Larmo63
That rear right fender corner above the tail light.....YIKES boid.gif
Tdskip
Yep - undisclosed but he was happy to take and try and keep a deposit.

Nacho
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 7 2018, 12:53 AM) *

Well your first red flag is that your looking at a car in California with Colorado plates! I'm sure the snow has done a number on this car. Did the seller not disclosed to you what was wrong on the phone or in person? because the add does say "Running Project"? Personally I think you might be asking to much from the cars you at looking at in this price range.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Nacho @ Jan 7 2018, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 7 2018, 12:53 AM) *

Well your first red flag is that your looking at a car in California with Colorado plates! I'm sure the snow has done a number on this car. Did the seller not disclosed to you what was wrong on the phone or in person? because the add does say "Running Project"? Personally I think you might be asking to much from the cars you at looking at in this price range.

I talked to the seller for half an hour and he did not disclose that the jacking points were missing, that the rear fenders were both gone, or that the rear clip had been replaced. None of that was discussed and I asked explicit questions about the car ride ever been in an accident. I have notes from those conversation and screenshots of the text conversations I had where the seller made the representations, not appropriate to share them here but I was diligent with the questions I asked.

The "project" part of the car was represented to be needing to freshen up the interior and all of the suspension bushings etc. Servicing the fuel system etc.

I don't care about cosmetics, but I'm very concerned about structure.

Any price point, regardless of how low or low high, does not give the seller license to blatantly misrepresent a car.

rhodyguy
Will this be your first 914? Just the rear picture would've had me saying 'no thank you'. Be thankful you didn't get clipped for the full amount.
Tdskip
Good morning. Fortunately I spotted the rear clip fit issues immediately in person, I was not knowledgeable enough to see that the clip it been replaced in the pictures and relied upon the sellers representation that there was no accident damage. I asked that question directly several times.

Lying is lying regardless a price point.
rhodyguy
True. How much did you loose?
Tdskip
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 7 2018, 11:18 AM) *

I am going to politely declined to provide a specific amount, but it was less than $1000 but still a meaningful amount.

ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 7 2018, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 7 2018, 11:18 AM) *

I am going to politely declined to provide a specific amount, but it was less than $1000 but still a meaningful amount.

Credit card deposit? If so, call your company. You might have recourse.
mepstein
Someone just lost $100k when they purchased a 1965 911 that was really a stollen 67. Reasoning for not seeing it first was it’s too far away and the good ones go fast.
I only send what I can afford to kiss goodby. I usually feel more comfortable with 914world members. Reality is, if you can’t see it first, it’s probably better to just let it go.
Mueller
Send him a certified letter with your intention to take him to small claims court for your deposit. Might be worth the few dollars to get your money back and make him think twice about being such a sleazeball.

Looks like a $1000 car if that.

Tdskip

1-10-18 update - the seller is now threatening me for posting accurate information about the car and the deposit issue.
kahluver
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 10 2018, 10:54 AM) *

1-10-18 update - the seller is now threatening me for posting accurate information about the car and the deposit issue.

Tell him I promise to forget what you wrote if he returns your deposit. piratenanner.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(kahluver @ Jan 10 2018, 01:29 PM) *

Tell him I promise to forget what you wrote if he returns your deposit. piratenanner.gif

Ha!

We will see what happens, I'd certainly report back that the deposit was refunded. Only fair to do that.

Not exactly holding my breath on the seller doing that however. I just want to make sure that any other potential buyer simply knows to look carefully before buying or putting a deposit down.
Beach914
CL posting has been deleted by Author......
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 10 2018, 01:54 PM) *

Threatening to do what??? Give you a really dirty look??? If you can get your money back then great! If not, then forget about it and chalk it up to experience. Lesson learned.
Tdskip
Seller deleted the ad on Sacramento Craigslist too.

Joe - not appropriate to post his message but it was vague and ominous.

Agree it is time to move on, not lose any sleep over it, but I am going to keep an eye out to see if the car surfaces again to make sure that no one else gets taken advantage of. If the car is fairly and accurately described I'll have nothing to say.
rhodyguy
Tell the seller you look forward to seeing him in court. Seller must be aware of world if everything is known to him. If he persists, out him. There's ways to turn the tables. I've been involved is a similar situation. Lost the money but made sure I got my pound of flesh.
Cairo94507
If you decide to go the Small Claims route, in the letter you send to him, make a "demand" for the $1,000 back. Your letter needs to be unequivocal about that. Send it return receipt requested to his address and then send one to the same address w/o your return address. Give him a reasonable time to comply, say 2-3 weeks with a stated drop-dead day. After that, go file in Small Claims and have the notice served by a friend who has nothing to do with the transaction at all. Usually, once you get to that point, the idiots will pay to avoid court and the judgment.

Make no threats at all. Keep your letter to the absolute facts as they happened.
Good luck - beerchug.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 11 2018, 08:04 AM) *

If you decide to go the Small Claims route, in the letter you send to him, make a "demand" for the $1,000 back. Your letter needs to be unequivocal about that. Send it return receipt requested to his address and then send one to the same address w/o your return address. Give him a reasonable time to comply, say 2-3 weeks with a stated drop-dead day. After that, go file in Small Claims and have the notice served by a friend who has nothing to do with the transaction at all. Usually, once you get to that point, the idiots will pay to avoid court and the judgment.

Make no threats at all. Keep your letter to the absolute facts as they happened.
Good luck - beerchug.gif

Thanks all.
CodeZ
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 11 2018, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 11 2018, 08:04 AM) *

Good luck - beerchug.gif

Thanks all.

Car is still listed on CL as is your be careful posting. Sad that some sellers are stinkers
bdstone914
What is the sellers name? I would like to know. As far as the small claims thing, good luck. Even if you win it is next to impossible to get him to pay.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 16 2018, 07:13 AM) *

What is the sellers name? I would like to know. As far as the small claims thing, good luck. Even if you win it is next to impossible to get him to pay.

I think it might be best not to publicly name the seller, I will handle recovery privately.

My focus is on making sure no one else is taken advantage of.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.