Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roof Rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Was this style roof rack available through the Porsche dealer or as an an aftermarket accessory piece back in the day? I'm looking for one.
Elliot Cannon
Doesn't larmo63 have one of those? I know they are very rare.
ndfrigi
I think the 2nd pic was Lawrence (Larmo63’s car).
Larmo63
They are rare, but I've had three sets of them....

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Even more rare are the original gasket/pads....

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Matt has one too.
rgalla9146
That was a cooperative effort between the rack manufacturer
and the designer of the body or Porsche.
Specific features were incorporated in the body to attach the rack.
The two slots at the rear edge of the windshield header and the six threaded bosses
under the roll bar are for that equipment.
The same company ( Leitz ? ) produced racks for 356s and 911s
They were factory approved accessories, most often available through the dealer.
DRPHIL914
man I would llove to get my hands on a set too!
Larmo63
Yes, made by Leitz, these were branded Karo. They made the racks for 911 Targas and coupes around this time also.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
I think that type was more common in Europe back in the day, while the Piper ones were more common at US Porsche+Audi dealers, but you had to buy 2 sets for 4 skis.
So you might have some luck finding some on German evil-bay.

Here are some period Porsche or VW-Porsche promo pix & ads with those "OEM Accessory" racks:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Whereas, the Piper ski racks & Hardt bike racks, & similar competing racks for skis & bikes used the same windshield frame slots & rollbar screw holes, & were sold by the USA P+A dealers back in the 1970's, which looked like these:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Of course when new, both of mine above were solid stain black paint or anodized finish - as you'll see on the less used & NOS ones which come up for sale occasionally, but mine had some road/air wear over the years of use.

IMHO the above types of ski racks were better than those which attached to the left/driver side rollbar screw holes & the rear bumper tow hook screw hole, both because the latter carried the skis at a 30-45 degree angle offering more wind resistance & noise, as well as blocking access to the rear trunk without removing the skis from the carrier.

Whereas, all of the above types allowed you to open the trunk as far as were the ski tails or tips hung over, plus you could take off the targa top & leave the racks, but then the forward rack wasn't secured into the windshield frame slots.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Cal
Here are two more cars with roof racks installed. I found someone that has the front rack for sale. Does anyone happen to have a spare rear bar laying around collecting dust that they'd like to sell? smile.gif

pete000
Some one should reproduce these for sure ! Hint Hint 914 Rubber wink.gif
Wyvern
those are cool.
A slight hijack ... what were the options for a bike rack ?

EDIT ... I searched and look found info . just posting in case others were looking
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...12231&st=80
jim_hoyland
Check these racks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGKj-erUH8
wes
Like it Thanks Jim.
I must say when I read “Check these racks” I thought you had something up your sleeve in the form of racks but great run anyway.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 11 2018, 10:31 PM) *

Here are two more cars with roof racks installed. I found someone that has the front rack for sale. Does anyone happen to have a spare rear bar laying around collecting dust that they'd like to sell? smile.gif

First time I've seen that front attachment detail. Always wondered.
Is it stable without the roof on without skis ?
worn
When I was a teenager in Seattle I used to see new brightly colored 914s heading for Alpental or Crystal Mountain with actual skis on the racks. Skis I couldn't afford. I thought they were really cool. Of course now that I have 914, I wouldn't drive it that way. My white 914 has driven in snow, but that was in Arizona with the Rt 66 bunch. Who knew I would be needing a ski rack then.

Cool Larmo!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wes @ Feb 13 2018, 01:53 AM) *

Like it Thanks Jim.
I must say when I read “Check these racks” I thought you had something up your sleeve in the form of racks but great run anyway.

yea I was expecting a 12 point deer or a elk or something, chair.gif
Front yard mechanic
Aren’t those racks called the wislers
Cal
I'm still looking for one of these roof racks. Please send me a PM me if anyone has one available.
Thanks.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Feb 11 2018, 11:56 PM) *

those are cool.
A slight hijack ... what were the options for a bike rack ?

EDIT ... I searched and look found info . just posting in case others were looking
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...12231&st=80

I had a bike rack on my 914 once but it was on the rear trunk lid. Yakama made the towers. I sold the towers to a 914World member two years ago.
911GT2
So what are these racks worth?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Apr 27 2020, 02:06 AM) *

So what are these racks worth?

$50 at least , are you selling? If s o i am an interested party.

Phil
- just joking about the $50. depends on condition of the metal. i do see some rust so they look like then may have to be refurbished, chromed etc . are they just stainless steel, or polished?

Phil
Steve
Larmo sold his last one for $400-500? Very hard to find, but limited market on who would pay that much. I have a Mohn ski rack that I paid $100.00 for.
VaccaRabite
I bet those things really howl when the car is at speed.

Zach
rgalla9146

This is about correct period accessories.

If you are an avid skiier or bicycler today the solution would be a second or third
roof with the suitable mounts attached.

And yes, roof racks howl.
When removed the car even feels faster.
pete000
I have no idea why no one has made a reproduction, everyone wants them !
Mikey914
We are actually working on these now. Costing is the issue. Doesn’t pay to make 1, but if we can make at least 10 on a run costs get much better. I guess it’s time to post up another GB thread.
Cal
KARO ski racks are a very cool and rare accessory piece. One just sold on German eBay for $325.00 in fair condition. Original ones in excellent condition can go for more money....it took me over a year to find mine.

I've had my car cruising on the turnpike at 75 mph and had no howling effect from the rack.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cal @ Apr 27 2020, 12:53 PM) *

KARO ski racks are a very cool and rare accessory piece. One just sold on German eBay for $325.00 in fair condition. Original ones in excellent condition can go for more money....it took me over a year to find mine.

I've had my car cruising on the turnpike at 75 mph and had no howling effect from the rack.

Cal you recently had a WTB for one of these.
I was going to PM you about this request asking for advise on value.
Where did you find yours ?
Mind giving some idea what it cost ?
Cal
@rgalla9146 Original KARO ski racks in excellent condition aren't cheap because they're so rare. They can sell for anywhere between $400.00 - $500.00....which is what I paid. I was probably crazy spending that much money but I thought it added value to my 914 and added to the aesthetic look that I'm shooting for.
I purchased mine from a member here.
jmalone
I,m in!
911GT2
I found one for sale over here. Although it's quite rough.

Also I decided I rather have the money at this point then the one I got, so that's up for grabs on the FS section too.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 13 2018, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(wes @ Feb 13 2018, 01:53 AM) *

Like it Thanks Jim.

yea I was expecting a 12 point deer or a elk or something, chair.gif

Yea.. sure you were expecting a 12 point deer or elk rack....

And if you believe that, I have land in southern Louisiana to sell you. poke.gif
Mikey914
I have been asked to reproduce these by several folks. Have a GB thread going http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345130

Looks like we have the minimum 10 takers to make these. If you are interested the target price will be between $200 and $300 but will include all straps, mounting hardware gaskets and new plugs where these mount.
The more takers the lower the price. Will be 316 Stainless.

There are quite a few little parts that go into these so we may also offer a hardware only kit too for those that are referbishing.
Mark
JOEPROPER
popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
Mark -

You should also repro these rubber pads for under the rollbar mounts too, that came with the originals.

Click to view attachment
(pic from another member's NOS rack)

If this part/accessory project gets off the ground, then I may be in for one too &/or for whatever the mystery other item is.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
Yes we have to. I have the leather done. We were having issues locating the correct stainless polished, but I think we may have that finally solved.

Here's the straps in the correct color. It's not a red. Compare to an original. I think we did good on this. I can do up a run of the gaskets in the next week or so, just ahve a fe wother items I'm juggling.

Look closely we emulated the embossed pattern and the hardware is really close. It's a different manufacturer but almost identical. The width is the same, yes it looks wider but it's camera placement. Otherwise it wouldn't fit in the hoops.
-Mark
CCE
popcorn[1].gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 20 2021, 12:50 AM) *

Yes we have to. I have the leather done. We were having issues locating the correct stainless polished, but I think we may have that finally solved.

Here's the straps in the correct color. It's not a red. Compare to an original. I think we did good on this. I can do up a run of the gaskets in the next week or so, just ahve a fe wother items I'm juggling.

Look closely we emulated the embossed pattern and the hardware is really close. It's a different manufacturer but almost identical. The width is the same, yes it looks wider but it's camera placement. Otherwise it wouldn't fit in the hoops.
-Mark

@Mikey914
Hey Mark, do you have any of these leather straps??
Mikey914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 18 2023, 04:20 PM) *

-Mark

@Mikey914

Yes,
I can get you some this next week.
Mark
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 18 2023, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 18 2023, 04:20 PM) *

-Mark

@Mikey914

Yes,
I can get you some this next week.
Mark

chowtime.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.