Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Building a 911 motor with a 7 year old
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
For Christmas I got my son Max and his cousin Calder both 911 motors, 1:4 scale to build. Knowing it would take an adult to help, it was the perfect father/son project. So far so good, we have done two sittings.
First sitting we got the crank and pistons done, as well as the crankcase.
Second sitting we got the heads on complete with working valves. The springs are very tricky, one flew off, finding it wasn't fun!

Max is learning about Porsche motors and we are having a good time. We are also taking it slow, we work about 30-45 minutes at a time, and even that is hurting our heads.

Stay tuned!
Krieger
Wow, cool project for you guys!
sb914
That's a great project!
Unobtanium-inc
Max keeps asking if we can put the new motor in his race car!
Spoke
Nice!

After this he'll have more wrenching experience than 99% of the millennials.
KELTY360
He'll never forget it. Gotta love it!
Mueller
Here is my Kennady helping put ours together. Look at that concentration.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
My young son got bored with that so I built him a Go-kart,was an old trx Honda we turned into a great little toy,started with a lawnmower motor,then went to a GY6 Chinese scooter motor,50cc bored out to 83cc ,cammed up and big carb,top speed 70kph easy,lot of fun building out of scrap steel I had.
Click to view attachment.
Click to view attachment
Luck its my beach and he's 20yrs old whilst doing this.
914Sixer
You can not ask for better bonding time. I never forgot the time I spent getting wrenches for dad and asking how stuff worked. I knew I had made it when it came time to put a clutch in my 911. Dad ask me IF I need help and I said I no I had the service manual. He just had a big grin on his face.
maf914
I 've seen that 911 engine kit on HobbyLink Japan and wondered how nice it was.

https://hlj.com/product/FRZ659116

mepstein
Amazon - $150, free ship
green914
Great project! agree.gif
iankarr
I LOVE seeing this. In this age of screens and antisocial media, it's more important than ever to spend undistracted time doing something memorable with the people you love. Especially kids. The biggest Truth in parenting is that it's a time machine...it feels slow inside the "machine," but in reality, time is traveling faster than you can imagine. Treasure these moments!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 19 2018, 08:41 AM) *

I LOVE seeing this. In this age of screens and antisocial media, it's more important than ever to spend undistracted time doing something memorable with the people you love. Especially kids. The biggest Truth in parenting is that it's a time machine...it feels slow inside the "machine," but in reality, time is traveling faster than you can imagine. Treasure these moments!

I try and do lots of things to get the kids away from screens. We even have a whole craft closet full of stuff. Screens are in inevitable sometimes, but you can try and control the narrative. I also do art classes in the kid's school with their classes to hopefully get other kids interested in alternatives to electronics.
sfrenck
Did the same thing with my 10 year old over Xmas vacation. I had a great time explaining everything to him and helping him build the kit.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2018, 06:42 AM) *

Amazon - $150, free ship

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-85-8883-Visib...ECMJG2PZ541E4MJ

Or you can get a V8 for about half the price. Porsche motors even cost more when they are plastic. biggrin.gif
Justinp71
That will be fun to do with my son in a couple years, right now he helps to wash the car...
Dr Evil
My 5yo is also named Max and we have been doing legos a lot recently. He is getting to where he doesn't need help with directions, just with focusing back on the task. I plan to do this same motor thumb3d.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 21 2018, 08:25 AM) *

My 5yo is also named Max and we have been doing legos a lot recently. He is getting to where he doesn't need help with directions, just with focusing back on the task. I plan to do this same motor thumb3d.gif

I read an article in Christophus that said they are planning a series of these, next up a 4-cam!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 22 2018, 09:40 AM) *

I read an article in Christophus that said they are planning a series of these, next up a 4-cam!

Bye bye money.....lol
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 22 2018, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 22 2018, 09:40 AM) *

Bye bye money.....lol

It's a lot cheaper than the alternative.
Unobtanium-inc
We are slowly chipping away at it, we built the right side cams and got the cover on.
Steady as she goes! Max is enjoying it, that's the important thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.