Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Porsche 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jameshanks
1976 Porsche 914 On Ebay

The Cabinetmaker
Once again, wrong forum.
rhodyguy
Even has the elusive brake fluid resevior cap.
LowBridge
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 11 2018, 08:58 AM) *

Once again, wrong forum.

nope, I think they are looking to part this one out av-943.gif
beech4rd
150 photographs " for your convenience" and not one showing the condition of the underside of the car!
76-914
QUOTE(beech4rd @ May 11 2018, 06:58 AM) *

150 photographs " for your convenience" and not one showing the condition of the underside of the car!

Or the Hell Hole. Those non-stock rivets tell me the valences have been removed recently, too. Must be hiding something if they weren't revealed in the pics.
sholman5
What do expect. It's a dealer.
Tom_T
Dealer is in South OC.

Pix show that it has what looks like a Bursch exhaust, & not the factory exhaust with the CA crapalytic converter - so good luck getting it registered in CA without that to pass the smog test! dry.gif

Dealer not forthcoming with details, other than to say that is was originally a CA car new, & has CA registration/title - but DMV requires a new smog upon sale, which is the seller's responsibility under state law, but dealers have ways to pass the costs on to buyers.

Buyer beware! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mueller
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 12 2018, 04:11 PM) *

Dealer is in South OC.

Pix show that it has what looks like a Bursch exhaust, & not the factory exhaust with the CA crapalytic converter - so good luck getting it registered in CA without that to pass the smog test! dry.gif

Dealer not forthcoming with details, other than to say that is was originally a CA car new, & has CA registration/title - but DMV requires a new smog upon sale, which is the seller's responsibility under state law, but dealers have ways to pass the costs on to buyers.

Buyer beware! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I was going to mention the smog issue as well. This could really bite someone in the @ss if not complete. No engine bay pics? Seems odd.
infraredcalvin
This guy is near me, I’ve tire kicked a couple of 997s he’s had. He’s got a bit of douchyness about him, but is relatively a nice guy looking to keep his reputation clean. All the cars I’ve seen pass though him have been really nice and properly presented examples (the good and the bad). He knows cars, and seems to educate himself a bit about the basic issues, but far from an expert. He tends to be really picky about the cars he has. His wife takes the photos and they are always of the shiny parts, I don’t think she knows much about them. Chances are this is the real deal, while not perfect, he’ll ask top dollar for a quality car.

He drives most of these cars regularly, and two very reputable PCA recommended shops are close by and do his PPIs (I’d bet he’s already got a current smog cert available).

Not an endorsement, but just passing along what I’ve gathered from recent first hand experience with him.

Good luck to any potential buyer!
Tom_T
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 14 2018, 08:39 PM) *

This guy is near me, I’ve tire kicked a couple of 997s he’s had. He’s got a bit of douchyness about him, but is relatively a nice guy looking to keep his reputation clean. All the cars I’ve seen pass though him have been really nice and properly presented examples (the good and the bad). He knows cars, and seems to educate himself a bit about the basic issues, but far from an expert. He tends to be really picky about the cars he has. His wife takes the photos and they are always of the shiny parts, I don’t think she knows much about them. Chances are this is the real deal, while not perfect, he’ll ask top dollar for a quality car.

He drives most of these cars regularly, and two very reputable PCA recommended shops are close by and do his PPIs (I’d bet he’s already got a current smog cert available).

Not an endorsement, but just passing along what I’ve gathered from recent first hand experience with him.

Good luck to any potential buyer!

Hey Pat,

He may be a good guy, & he amy have a valid smog from the prior owner from whom he bought the car, but if he didn't also get the stock exhaust with the CA cat converter - then he won't get it smogged now nor will the buyer.

The 1st step in the current CA CARB smog check process is to verify that all original emissions control equipment is on the car - it is not - as this looks to be the bottom half of an aftermarket Bursch exhaust.

IPB Image

For those interested, the correct & complete exhaust set-up is in the 914 PET Parts Manual, in Section/Binder 2 illustration 202-05 at the bottom (which you can download a pdf FREE from the Porsche website, Classic section, under Documents). Note that 75-76 49-state 914-2.0s will have the straight pipe shown below that set-up in the middle since the cat converter isn't required. There are also other emissions control parts which have to be on the car & operating properly, including the air injection pump, sensors, etc. Most or All of those parts are NLA & rare as Hens' Teeth, so hard to find.

Even the 49-States 76 914s must have the original emissions control equipment for their original state in order to get smog certified & registered in CA.

This is why buying a 76 914-2.0 is such a sticky problem in CA, & why you CA residents should be writing your CA Legislators to bring back the rolling 30 year smog check exemption for classic collector cars.

As for this dealer - I asked about the smog issue last week, he replied to call, I asked again & he said it passed smog before & is CA registered (no plates show on the car pix), so I asked if he has the CA factory exhaust & explained why, & if he has the require 2 CA plates - no reply. He also hasn't posted in response to anything on here.

There is not the CA equipment notice "Catalyst" sticker next to the VIN sticker in the pix, but that could've been removed by a PO, for a repaint, peeled away, etc.

I also asked if it was a CA or 49-State 914, since it also lacks the extra "mini-tits" on the bumpers as required & fitted on the CA 75-76 914s, & he said it was originally a CA car, went out-of-state for a few years, then now back to CA - "... it was an original california car (2 brothers) than Iowa and Back to Ca." Not sure if that's 2 brothers as OO & PO only, or if there were other owners.

IIRC - Cal-DMV regs. require the dealer or other seller to have the car re certified for smog at the time of sale - except in some cases if the smog is less than 90 days old - but many dealers will charge the buyer for that cost - which could be very pricey if it includes buying & installing a bunch of unobtanium smog parts - as in $1,000s!

If that exemption from a new smog is used at this sale, then the buyer will face the problem in 2 years!

So I'm no longer interested, & I'd advise any CA buyer to use caution, because this could be a very expensive $27K door stop in your garage. For the other 49-states - you'd better check on your own state's requirements for bringing in the car.

Good Luck, but exercise due diligence! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
toolguy
Beside the obvious 'smog legal' issue, I'd be concerned by what looks like a bit of door sag on both sides from the pictures. . another glaring item was the improper route of the tail light wiring harness. . If they got that simple item wrong, what else?

Tom's right on the smog, and it is the seller's legal obligation not only to provide a current valid smog certificate, but to have the car conform to Calif equipment standards, including having all original supplied components in place and fully functional. . That means Cat Converter and A/I/R. system. In Calif, if the Air Resource Board referee determines the emissions system has been altered and there is no BAR or CARB waiver, there is no monetary limit on the owners repair cost to make the car smog legal and emissions compliant.
Jeff Bowlsby
I think this car may be misunderstood.

A 49 state 1976 car would not have the bumper guards...this one does not have them, leading me to think its a 49 state car.

A 49 state 1976 car was not factory equipped with a CAT or EGR valve or the dash CAT/EGR indicator lights. This car does not have the dash indicator lights.

Further, the door jamb should have a factory label which would confirm its CAT requirement one way or t'other, but the photo does not show a label...must have been removed before the repaint. Here are the labels from 49 state (Non-CAT) and CA (CAT) 1976 cars:
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 15 2018, 05:54 PM) *

I think this car may be misunderstood. As a 49 state car it was not originally equipped with a CAT.

A 49 state 1976 car would not have the bumper guards...this one does not have them, leading me to think its a 49 state car.

A 49 state 1976 car was not factory equipped with a CAT or EGR valve.

Further, the door jamb should have label which would confirm its CAT requirement one way or t'other, but the photo does not show a label...must have been removed before the repaint. Here are the labels from CA and 49 state 1976 cars:

Jeff - with all due respect to your extensive knowledge on everything 914...

The car isn't the one which is misunderstood - it's the dealer/seller.

I'm going by what the selling dealer told me in his email reply to me.
Direct Quote from seller message from my last message above:

"... it was an original california car (2 brothers) than Iowa and Back to Ca."

So unless the dealer is wrong about it being a CA car - in which case he is misunderstood about the car he's selling - or misleading an Iowa or other non-CA State car as a supposedly rust free CA car. it's not the car nor those of us looking at it.

And I also said that it doesn't have the "mini-tits" bumper guards nor either CA or 49-State sticker on the door jamb in my post above - so thanks for posting the pix of the labels.

At this point 42 years later, with a possible respray or more - the bumpers could've been changed at some point as well, or the mini-tits removed & a non-CA/MD titless covers put on - in addition to stickers gone missing, & factory exhaust changed, & who knows what else. If it was in an accident for instance, they may have had to use whatever bumpers that they could find.

Even if the selling dealer is wrong or misleading me about it being a CA car - if it is really a 49-State car - it's still not the original 49-State exhaust, which CA would require for an out-of-state car to be registered here & any other emissions control equipment required on them to be there & operating properly.

There's something off about this car &/or dealer.

Also - those bumpers are either 48-State (both CA & MD required the mini-tits), but that may or may not make the car an outside CA 914 when new, as you're presuming. In fact, they were why I initially asked the dealer about where it was from.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jeff Bowlsby
Res ipsa loquitor....or someone went to great lengths to make it look like a non-CA car. Anything is possible at this point.
porschetub
Well looks nice then see its been doing 'burnouts",buyer beware lol-2.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.