Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Working 3 port fuel pump core, leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
andreic
The original fuel pump (3 port, Bosch original pump) in my fuel injected D-Jet 1972 914 1.7L has started to leak fuel. Very slightly: not enough to drip on the floor, but the pump appears wet. It works great otherwise.

I have the option to buy a brand new one (NOS) from a local retailer, for $300. Or I can buy a rebuilt one from one of the members here, sending my existing one in as a core, for $200.

My question is -- what is the value of the one I have, as a core for rebuilding? If it's worth at least $100, I will buy the local one.

What do you think it's worth? Anyone interested?
Mueller
QUOTE(andreic @ May 14 2018, 10:20 AM) *

The original fuel pump (3 port, Bosch original pump) in my fuel injected D-Jet 1972 914 1.7L has started to leak fuel. Very slightly: not enough to drip on the floor, but the pump appears wet. It works great otherwise.

I have the option to buy a brand new one (NOS) from a local retailer, for $300. Or I can buy a rebuilt one from one of the members here, sending my existing one in as a core, for $200.

My question is -- what is the value of the one I have, as a core for rebuilding? If it's worth at least $100, I will buy the local one.

What do you think it's worth? Anyone interested?

I posted 3 of them for sale last week for $50 each, no bites.

Automobile Atlanta gives $50 for cores so sometime this week I'll send them off to him I think.
ChrisG914
FWIW, I recently purchased two used and leaking 3 port pumps here for just over $100 shipped.
andreic
Thanks... so they're not worth all that much. That's useful to know.

914Sixer
If you can buy a new one get it.
andreic
Mark, I worry that if it's been sitting for many many years in a box, it may start leaking after a couple of months?

So which one should I go with, the brand new one for $300, a properly rebuilt one for $200, or a Carter pump for $100? I am really torn which way to go...
914Sixer
You are correct about the new one. The rebuilt one has viton seals. The Carter one will take some plumbing and relocation.
PlaysWithCars
I'd go with the rebuilt one. As long as the armature on your motor is in good shape (ie has enough meat left on it) the rebuilt should have modern o-ring material in it that can deal with the ethanol in modern fuel. If you're up for a pretty straight forward DIY project, I can sell you a kit with all of the o-rings you'll need to do the rebuild. I've done a couple of them myself and they've worked great so far.

The Carter pump would be my last choice due to the effort to replumb and deviation from stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.