Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East coast party and 914 parts sell-off.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mepstein
East coast party and 914 parts sell-off. August 4th.

In 2015, we lost a good friend and 914 enthusiast, Jim McLeod. Jim had amassed a very large collection of 914 parts, a couple 914’s and a 914-6 conversion project. Most of these parts are in great shape, sorted, and ready to use. Barbara, Jim’s wife, would like these cars and parts to go out to Jim’s friends and all the 914 enthusiasts that shared his passion for these cars.

We are having a party and parts sale on August 4th. We intend to sell all the parts and would also like to sell the orange auto- x car and the white 914-6 conversion project. Think of the party as a big 914 swap meet with free food and all the parts priced to sell. Everyone is welcome, families, friends, and enthusiasts. We will be pricing parts to sell and will be negotiable on everything. You are welcome to come in your 914 but I’d suggest showing up in a car or truck that can hold a good size parts purchase. Example: we have 2.0 heat exchangers, 2 rebuilt transmissions, engine cases, p&c’s, mufflers, headers, wheels, upholstery, boxes and boxes of new parts still in their packages, bins of small hardware and unique parts and tons of used and refurbished parts. I’m including some pictures that show a fraction of the parts available.

This will be a great way to pick up parts for your project, spare parts for your car or get the second 914 that you know you want. We will have free matchbox hot wheels cars for the kids and free giveaways, good friends, food and the chance to talk 914’s with fellow enthusiasts.

Location - Glen Ave SW, Vienna, VA 22180 - plenty of parking is available.

Please call or email me with any questions. RSVP is not needed but if you can come, please post on this thread so we keep it bumped to the top. Thank you, Mark Epstein 302,540.9242, Mark@MarkEpstein.net

*I am not charging a fee. 100% of the proceeds go to Barbara.
Mueller
Wish I could make it.....

and a big Thank you for helping his wife smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif
mepstein
914-6 conversion project with fresh paint
mepstein
Auto-x car with cage, 5 lug and cis engine
ValcoOscar
idea.gif I need an excuse to attend. biggrin.gif

How can I ship parts back SoCal???

Oscar
76-914
GLWS, Jim was a good man. Hopefully you'll get Top Dollar! Were all those items shipped to the east coast to sale? Seems an added expense, if so. Will this be locals only or an online auction that runs concurrently?
Unobtanium-inc
Sounds like a cool day!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 22 2018, 05:48 PM) *

Oscar

Do what I do when we go to Hershey.

Take the parts to the nearest Office depot. Give them your address and have them pack and ship the parts. They will arrive a few days after you get home.

mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 22 2018, 06:53 PM) *

GLWS, Jim was a good man. Hopefully you'll get Top Dollar! Were all those items shipped to the east coast to sale? Seems an added expense, if so. Will this be locals only or an online auction that runs concurrently?

The party and sale is at Barbara McLeod’s house in Vienna, VA. It’s a one day event. There isn’t an online sale at this time. Getting top dollar isn’t as important as getting it all sold and into the hands of 914 enthusiasts, while remembering that we want Barbara to benefit from Jim’s 914 passion.
BeatNavy
I'm planning on being there, Mark.

The six engine in that one pic Jim bought from Tangerine just around the time of his heart surgery. My son and I helped him move it across his yard and into his garage so he could work on it in there, just before he passed sad.gif .
anderssj
I will try to make this. Please let me know what I can do to help out.
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 22 2018, 07:14 PM) *

I'm planning on being there, Mark.

The six engine in that one pic Jim bought from Tangerine just around the time of his heart surgery. My son and I helped him move it across his yard and into his garage so he could work on it in there, just before he passed sad.gif .

Barbara told me he had a video of it running before he tore it down. So while it’s not a running engine, it’s not junk. I’ll touch base with Chris to see if he has details. We would like to sell the six parts with the conversion car but that’s not set in stone. Thanks!
rhodyguy
WOW! What a collection! That CIS setup is pretty darn interesting. Should be a fun event.
Dion
Mark, that is awesome to help out Jim’s wife.
I miss Jim a bunch. Count me in. If you need anything brought down
please let me know.
VaccaRabite
Going to try and be there. Maybe even driving my own 914.

Does Barbara still have the Vanagon?

Zach
mepstein

Going to try and be there. Maybe even driving my own 914. Yes, please come.

Does Barbara still have the Vanagon? Yes

Zach

JmuRiz
I’ll make sure I can be there. First 914 I looked at, with my dad, to buy was one of Jim’s...passed on the car but remained friends. He was always willing to lend a tool and BS.
VaccaRabite
Yeah. Jim was a great guy. Back when I was event planning more he was always the first guy who offered to help. We would share spots at swap meets. He and Ken both would drive over to my place and help out.

When Ken died I tried to buy up as much of his stuff as I could to keep it in the family. I hope we can do the same with Jim’s stuff.
914dave
Planning on attending. Don’t have a need for parts but can lend a hand. Mark, give me a call if you need anything from me.
914forme
8 hrs away, but added it to my calendar. Mark, this really hits hard as I know if something happened to me, my wife would be in the same boat.

So thank you for doing this for her beerchug.gif

Now to save a wade of cash to bring and make the sale. Also may want to setup a PP Acount for the sale, yes the fees can become a pain, but in this situation, an up-charge to cover the fees would be appropriate. Fee calculators I use all the time, to make sure the seller does not pay for the my choice of transaction, and I still get the protection on the sale. Not that I have ever had issues buying things on the site. beer.gif Some of my other interests can become a bit lets say not as honorable of a transaction. headbang.gif
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2018, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 22 2018, 06:53 PM) *

The party and sale is at Barbara McLeod’s house in Vienna, VA. It’s a one day event. There isn’t an online sale at this time. Getting top dollar isn’t as important as getting it all sold and into the hands of 914 enthusiasts, while remembering that we want Barbara to benefit from Jim’s 914 passion.

agree.gif
BillC
That's the same weekend as the big DE for the local PCA chapter. Any chance the sale could be moved to the weekend before or after? If not, any chance of doing a pre-sale sale the weekend before?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 23 2018, 08:12 PM) *

That's the same weekend as the big DE for the local PCA chapter. Any chance the sale could be moved to the weekend before or after? If not, any chance of doing a pre-sale sale the weekend before?

Planning this stuff isn't easy, and there is always going to be some sort of conflict.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 23 2018, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Jun 23 2018, 08:12 PM) *

Planning this stuff isn't easy, and there is always going to be some sort of conflict.

Zach

I believe the 4th works best for Barbara and her family as well as keeping the following week as a possibility for a rain date. I’ll leave it up to her and update this thread if there are any changes.

Thanks for all the positive responses and I look forward to seeing everyone.
bob
I'm at that DE as well... if it moves to an alternate day, I'd be in for sure.

-bob
914 Ranch
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 22 2018, 06:48 PM) *

Oscar

I might be able to help you out Oscar.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 22 2018, 04:04 PM) *

WOW! What a collection! That CIS setup is pretty darn interesting. Should be a fun event.

I’ll see if I can find my old photos of the setup outside of the car for added detail viewing.
Cupomeat
Wish I could attend as i'd like to support the cause, but planed to be out of town that weekend.

If there is another day, or follow up, I'd be happy to help.

Eric
rgolia
Got it on the calendar.........did you say rebuilt tranny? Hope all is well Mark and very nice of you to do this.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgolia @ Jun 25 2018, 01:26 PM) *

Got it on the calendar.........did you say rebuilt tranny? Hope all is well Mark and very nice of you to do this.

2 of them rebuilt from Dr Evil’s class. Never used. I think one might go with the conversion car but I’m not sure.
BENBRO02
I've added this to my calendar and will attend if it doesn't conflict with my upcoming hip replacement surgery or recovery. I drive through Vienna quite often on my way to Katie's cars and coffee on Saturday morning.
Dr Evil
Ill do my best to be there. Jim was good people and we hang out at many events since my arrival back East in 2005. His passing hit hard. Anyone commuting from OH, we could maybe carpool or caravan. I don't need any parts, but girlfriend has a big truck. I can help ship parts if anyone comes out and needs help with that. This is good karma.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 25 2018, 03:56 PM) *

Ill do my best to be there. Jim was good people and we hang out at many events since my arrival back East in 2005. His passing hit hard. Anyone commuting from OH, we could maybe carpool or caravan. I don't need any parts, but girlfriend has a big truck. I can help ship parts if anyone comes out and needs help with that. This is good karma.

Depending on your route you are welcome to stay over at my place.

Zach
ValcoOscar
Mark-

I am seriously considering going. Trying to decide, alone, w wifey or another socal teener. idea.gif

Question..don't plan on carrying much cash, will PayPal be accepted?

Oscar
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 29 2018, 03:44 PM) *

Mark-

I am seriously considering going. Trying to decide, alone, w wifey or another socal teener. idea.gif

Question..don't plan on carrying much cash, will PayPal be accepted?

Oscar

Great question. I will work out a PayPal solution for the sale.

Thanks for bumping the thread and I hope you can make it. beerchug.gif
mepstein
2 things:

I’d like to get a preliminary head count of people attending to estimate food, drink, ect.
Please reply to this thread. Thanks!

2nd:
I have no plans to turn this into a swap meet but if people have large 914 parts that are traditionally difficult or expensive to ship - seats, glass, targa tops, hoods, ect. We can start a different FS party thread and then swap the pre sold parts at the party. Let me know. Thanks again.

nditiz1
Mark - I plan to be there. I still haven't made it up to your shop, can you bring those late door windows down when you come, thanks! beerchug.gif
Dion
Will definitely be there Mark.
saigon71
Count me in Mark.
Lucky9146
Seriously considering, looking at logistics.

Thanks for doing this Mark!
driving.gif white914.jpg
ValcoOscar
Mark-

I'm IN...got the GREEN light piratenanner.gif

Wife and I will fly into NY and visit friends prior to heading your way. driving.gif

Can't wait... popcorn[1].gif

Can I bring anything other than my drug of choice (diet pepsi)? beer3.gif

Let me know, biggrin.gif

Oscar
saigon71
Cleaning up tonight, I found this hand written post-it note from Jim.

I was having FI issues and suspected the ECU. About a week before he passed away, Jim dropped an ECU off at Matt's in Frederick so I could test my ECU theory.

I just "laminated" the post-it with packing tape and it will ride in my glove box from now on.

Click to view attachment
Dion
That’s very cool Bob. Nice momento of Jim.
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 2 2018, 04:35 PM) *

Mark-

I'm IN...got the GREEN light piratenanner.gif

Wife and I will fly into NY and visit friends prior to heading your way. driving.gif

Can't wait... popcorn[1].gif

Can I bring anything other than my drug of choice (diet pepsi)? beer3.gif

Let me know, biggrin.gif

Oscar

That’s great you can make it.
Big Len
Mark, can you briefly describe what's available? Any 1.8L stuff?
mepstein
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 3 2018, 06:56 PM) *

Mark, can you briefly describe what's available? Any 1.8L stuff?

I imagine so but I didn’t take any sort of inventory when I was there. Too much stuff. But come no matter what.
saigon71
icon_bump.gif
Racer
local and not DE'ing.. seems like not going would be a crime!
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 11 2018, 11:00 AM) *

local and not DE'ing.. seems like not going would be a crime!

Great. It will be a fun GTG even if you don’t need anything for the 914. Good size crowd has pm’d, emailed, text and noted on this thread.

Like there isn’t always something you need for a 914. biggrin.gif
ValcoOscar
icon_bump.gif

Flight, hotel & car rental booked and confirmed!

We will be in DC area the entire weekend...why not beerchug.gif

Preparing my 914 parts wish list.

Any other West Coast attendees?

Oscar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.