Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Diesel build....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
PatrickB
Here goes nothin....
Been planning this for a while, but it was supposed to be a winter project. Wasn't quite ready yet. KEP adaptor parts have been sitting here. Timeline moved up because of a failure.
Had a chirp that turned into a BAD miss, valve seat issue on one cylinder.Click to view attachment

Had a fresh 1.9 AAZ diesel sitting in my storage trailer that had never been fired. (honed, rings, bearings, injection pump reseal). "new" engine was destined for my daily beater . Same engine in the beater is getting a little tired, I've put at least 350,000 km on it and the compression is getting down. Still runs okay though. Swapped the "new" engine into the beater. 16 year old son is learning...Click to view attachment
PatrickB
Plan is to build the car with the more tired engine, and pull it this winter to go through it if need be. Engine was "turned up" about 10 years ago, more fuel, timing advanced etc. and will outrun the same car with a gas engine all day long. Only change on installation is a T3 turbo instead of a K14 that it came with. Really easy to do while it's out of the car. Engine and trans met yesterday.Click to view attachment

Engine/trans and crossbar are sitting on the floor in approximate placement that it needs to be in order to get a good look and plan a front mount. We have a plan, not sure if it's the best plan but will work without any car body surgery.
Car in the past had a Dodge 360 in it, water lines are there to put the rad in the front but I'm going to try to run with a rad in the engine compartment. I'd like to have a sealed up front compartment again if I can make it work that way.
PatrickB
BTW I may have a complete 2L engine for sale at some point, needs head work and a piston. There's a pretty good mark in the piston where the valve seat made contact. Pretty sure carbs are Holley, at least they're a small progressive 2 barrel. Pertronix electronic in the distributor. Heater boxes are a little grubby but good shape. Exhaust is a 4 into one type with a cherry bomb looking muffler.
Anyone know where to get an electric oil pressure gauge that matches the gauges in the 914? I'd rather not run hot oil in the cab unless I have to. Clock doesn't work anyway, so I'd like an oil pressure gauge there instead. And a temp gauge with numbers... I'm going to try to hook the existing oil temp gauge to a water temp sender and see what happens, but I'd like to have numbers. Want to maintain stock appearance in the car if I can.
mb911
That will be very cool..
914forme
As a diesel owner aktion035.gif

A couple of people have done the swap.

As far as making them faster than their gas counterparts shades.gif BTDT

Looking forward to this one.

BTW you might be able to run the RAD in the engine compartment. Diesels can idle all day and not overheat. Matter of fact I used to have to run up my engine on cold mornings even after driving for an hour to keep heat in the cabin on cold days. They really only generate heat when working, moving something, or spinning at 2000 RPM. At that point if designed correctly you should get enough airflow to pull it off.

headbang.gif Now I want to build a TDI 914 with the same specs as my old A4 TDI. It was a PD European specs with 175HP parts and a 6 speed. When done with all the mods it was 225HP and 450 FootPounds of earth moving torques. Still got 50 MPG in a heavy A4 chassis. Loved that engine, hated all the trouble that car was and sold it. Most likely right before I got it all sorted, as I see it about once a month tearing up the highway.

PatrickB
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2018, 09:22 AM) *

As a diesel owner aktion035.gif

A couple of people have done the swap.

As far as making them faster than their gas counterparts shades.gif BTDT

Looking forward to this one.

BTW you might be able to run the RAD in the engine compartment. Diesels can idle all day and not overheat. Matter of fact I used to have to run up my engine on cold mornings even after driving for an hour to keep heat in the cabin on cold days. They really only generate heat when working, moving something, or spinning at 2000 RPM. At that point if designed correctly you should get enough airflow to pull it off.

headbang.gif Now I want to build a TDI 914 with the same specs as my old A4 TDI. It was a PD European specs with 175HP parts and a 6 speed. When done with all the mods it was 225HP and 450 FootPounds of earth moving torques. Still got 50 MPG in a heavy A4 chassis. Loved that engine, hated all the trouble that car was and sold it. Most likely right before I got it all sorted, as I see it about once a month tearing up the highway.
Exactly why I'm using the AAZ that I bought used mileage unknown and put another 350,000 or so on since. Trouble free... unless you count the time I changed the timing belt and didn't do the tensioner pulley... Hard on valves when you break the belt.
Going to set the engine in and look at the plumbing.
Porschef
Extremely cool. Having had an ALH Golf for some time (described by some as VW's most reliable car, but only w the manual trans, given to my older daughter) I was always tempted to slap in a bigger turbo and a chip, bumping factory 90hp to 150 or so. Lots of torque, and in a 914, would probably return 60 mpg. cheer.gif

Gearing will be your bugaboo...

Can we get a pic of the recipient?
914forme
The 914 converted with an ALH did about 60+ MPG, it has been done. The MK4 with a 5 speed is the best VW diesel ever, as long as the auxiliary electronics did not bring you down. headbang.gif We had a 1999 that had so many Canbus issues I got rid of it. When the security module started to lock the car randomly and then set the alarm while it was driving and leaving my wife in the middle of an intersection not able to move the car, turn off the alarm, or open the door after she got out of the car. It was time to ar15.gif

Should have keep that engine, found a FWD Passat A4 or Audi and built a 914 with it.

All this talk is making me think about doing it again. Same HP as my Subaru, and more Torque. 60+ MPG. My wife would want a crappy tune so she could roll coal. I would go with a great tune so I could just driving.gif and fly by people thinking WTF.gif

ALH Bigger Turbo 3" all the way to the back with Air to water intercooler, a great tune either Rocket Chip or headbang.gif forgot my last tuner headbang.gif and a nice Passat Diesel 6 speed sourced from Europe to get the gearing right. my new radiator would be plenty big enough. Engine mounts would have to change as would trans mounts. Shit just got so simple, make a great fair wether commuter.

this thread is the happy11.gif doing headbang.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2018, 10:03 AM) *

Should have keep that engine, found a FWD Passat A4 or Audi and built a 914 with it.

this thread is the happy11.gif doing headbang.gif

Haha, you're not kidding Stephen...

Me, "Sweetie, I found you a nice Camry/Yaris/Echo/Civic/Etc so you can give Dad back that stinky diesel and not have to worry about checking the oil all the time....

Do you have a thread for that build? Imagine a 1000 mile range on a teener...
PatrickB
Car was previously owned by a body shop owner, only untouched panel is the hood. Roof sanded and painted. All that reshaping is steel. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

May go with a bigger diesel down the road (mechanical ALH??) but might not. Using this engine to build. Be easy to go bigger later.

As for gearing, the engine turns 2641 @ 100kmh in the old Jetta. Gets between 800 and 1000 km on a tank in the summer, tank hold 53 l. Best of 4.9l per 100k in that car. Average closer to 6 l/100k . The Porsche is at least 700 lbs lighter and not shaped like a brick, so....

Could use a higher last gear at least. Going to explore those options at a later date. Just want to make it run a this point.
poorsche914
Subscribed smile.gif

I have wanted to do a TDI conversion for a while now. I have an '05 TDI my daughter currently drives. At some point may use it as the donor vehicle happy11.gif

driving.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 4 2018, 10:40 AM) *

Wow, never seen that. Kinda like 914 meets Ford Probe... confused24.gif
PatrickB
Wow, never seen that. Kinda like 914 meets Ford Probe... confused24.gif

Good eye. Ford probe bumpers grafted on, then body kit hand built to match. Was in a paint calendar from PPG in 2005. Not the way I would have built the car.... but also the reason I don't feel guilty about changing stuff.
Porschef
Which now really makes it a perfect candidate for a diesel Swap. This is so cool, I'll be watching closely, thanks
914-d
One of my project is a 914 diesel...here are a few picsClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
JRust
Hey that body work was done tastefully. All the quarters are steel? That is pretty impressive work. I'd drive that all day. While I can't say I would build one like it. I can sure appreciate the guy who built it. That is a sweet little ride. I don't even hate the wing on the back with it confused24.gif . Love to see the diesel build here. Sunscribed
PatrickB
Anyone know if this one ever got finished? PM had no response. Same engine but I think it's sitting farther ahead than I expect mine to.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=84047&st=0
914forme
Yes I think it got done, have not talked with him for a long, long time. confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
I'm wondering about the gearbox... The gearing may be low for a diesel, and I'm wondering how the 901-based box will hold up to diesel torque...

--DD
Chris H.
Very unique bodywork. Looks well done. Wonder how 944 taillights and reflector would look?

Can’t wait to see the build!
914-d
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 4 2018, 01:03 PM) *

I'm wondering about the gearbox... The gearing may be low for a diesel, and I'm wondering how the 901-based box will hold up to diesel torque...

--DD

That is why I stuck with the vw trans and went transverse, correct gearing and the trans will handle the 375 lbs of touque
914forme
What you need for these is an 6 speed out of a Audi or VW TDI kinda like these. Problem is solved, it will bolt up to an ALH and has the proper gearing and handles more that 375 FtP. Are not cheap, are rare in the USA, but Europe has them. Same basic trans as the Boxster S 6 speed but with better gearing.

Get this thing done man, once it is driving you can make fools out of all us speculators. beer.gif

Click to view attachment

These can be found here for a price that makes me screwy.gif
914-d
Might use that trans on the next one. I have a guy in Amsterdam I buy from can get quite a better price. Those trans have issues so he only sells them rebuilt
I did an ALH conversion in my A4 quattro. He shipped the trans on April 10...was at my door 2 days later. Have bought several from him.

914forme
I do the same thing but use a guy in England.
PatrickB
Using the 901 trans. The engine I'm using is an older mechanical injection AAZ.I don't think I'll get more than 150 horse out of it as it sits. Fuelling is up, timing is advanced, and if I can figure out a nice way to fool the wastegate the boost will be up. Wastegate isn't adjustable. IF I remember correctly engine will turn about 2800 at 60 mph. Online calculator tells me it was turning 2641 at 100 kph in the Jettta. Close enough. We autocross the car, gearing should be fine, especially since I put on a bigger turbo that's going to be a little slower to spool. Old school diesel stuff. The bigger turbo didn't start making good boost until at least 2600 or 2800 on the slightly smaller 1.6 I took it off. The K14 I took off stared at about 1400 and made good boost by 2000 but is much more limited higher up, very restrictive onte h exhaust side and won't flow nearly as well. Moves less air at the same boost as the bigger turbo does.
It will for sure have a fair amount more torque, especially when the turbo is coming on hard. I don't think it will be enough more to be an issue. If it is.... I have 2 more 901 side shift transmissions under the bench!
The 901 looks a lot bigger to me than the 020 in the Jetta, and I've only ever broke one of those in 20 years or so of daily driving. Engine has enough torque that we had tires breaking loose halfway through second gear when we autocrossed it once last year (914 was down for wheel bearings).

I do want to figure out how to get a higher gear in 5th, maybe 4th too. First thought was go see DR Evil. Maybe a taller ring and pinion and bring all the gears up? Someday...
Swapping out the trans for the stuff you guys are talking about might happen eventually but not this year.

Besides... I'm CHEAP! Aim is to do this for less than 500 bucks other than the KEP adaptor. The only out of pocket other than that so far is the starter. Bought 2 high torque starters for 80 bucks for the pair from another guy that gave up on his swapping. the other expense will be the cooling. Also trying to figure out an easy way to put heat in the car, mostly for drying out windows on wet mornings. Going to tear apart one of my mark2 Jetta parts cars to see if I can use a complete heater box. Open to other options too. Probably a later date thing, not now.

I like to keep my projects within a family of parts.... Early ones included a Pontiac Astre with a 3.8 Buick (all GM) 82 firebird with a 400 small black (all GM). Various engines in various old chevy pickups. Only exception to that rule was a 354 perkins in a 4 door 3/4 ton chev pickup. I figure VW in a Porsche is all in the family.

Next auto cross is july 22, don't think I'm going to make it.
914forme
I used to Auto-x an A3 Jetta, loved that little car.

Fooling the actuator is pretty easy, most people just used an aquarium air valve, old school. Small restrictor will also work.

As far as the 901 goes you will be fine. The Evil Dr. will be a great resource I would look for an H or HA 5th, and play around with the rest of the gearing. His Evil one can tell you what gears can be sourced cheaply and should work with the diesel. I used to launch my 914-4 in 2nd gear at the auto-x so with the diesel you should be fine in second. That removes the weakest part of the trans.

Cooling should be easy as this engine only really produces heat under load. So a small rad should be easy. Just look at the size of the stock Rabbit Rad and calculate the cooling area. Then find something that fits. You might be able to use a couple well placed Heater cores from a large truck, and get enough airflow to keep the front trunk like Brant's oil coolers on his race car.

I love cheap builds, and mine start that way and spin out of control with while I am in their itis.

PatrickB
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 5 2018, 10:49 AM) *

I used to Auto-x an A3 Jetta, loved that little car.

Fooling the actuator is pretty easy, most people just used an aquarium air valve, old school. Small restrictor will also work.

As far as the 901 goes you will be fine. The Evil Dr. will be a great resource I would look for an H or HA 5th, and play around with the rest of the gearing. His Evil one can tell you what gears can be sourced cheaply and should work with the diesel. I used to launch my 914-4 in 2nd gear at the auto-x so with the diesel you should be fine in second. That removes the weakest part of the trans.

Cooling should be easy as this engine only really produces heat under load. So a small rad should be easy. Just look at the size of the stock Rabbit Rad and calculate the cooling area. Then find something that fits. You might be able to use a couple well placed Heater cores from a large truck, and get enough airflow to keep the front trunk like Brant's oil coolers on his race car.

I love cheap builds, and mine start that way and spin out of control with while I am in their itis.

What |I did to fool the waste gate on the K14 was pull out one of the banjo bolts and drill a small hole to bleed a little boost off the signal line. Neater than a valve and incognito. Just keep going a little bigger hole until I get where I want to be. Apparently this engine is good for about 30 pounds without head studs. No point going that high without an intercooler though.20 pounds is lots. The K14 actually is adjustable but I was afraid of breaking the bolt off. T3 is not adjustable. Might pull the same trick on it.
As for cooling, plan is to get the engine sitting in place, then figure out what room is left. Then make a trip to a wrecking yard with a tape measure... I'd like to use the rad out of a mark 3 golf (2 fans) I have sitting here but I don't think it will fit... unless I can mount it across the front of the engine bay a little low and on an angle, air flow directed from under the car. Not counting on that. I've been running diesels for a long time and you're right, they don't make a lot of heat unless they're working hard. My kid was showing me pictures of Honda rads that might work. VW Fox should work but probably hard to find.
PatrickB
How critical is it to have the crankshaft of the engine on the same alignment as the previous engine? I currently have the engine in the car, but I'm running into a snag. the back end of the valve cover is touching the sheet metal that separates the engine compartment from the trunk, and I'm still over an inch lower than where I should be to have everything line up the same and allow me to use the stock crossmember at the front. There's already been a hole cut out of the sheetmetal by the previous owner to allow access to a distributor on a V8 he had in it with a nice patch panel held in place with a screw. I can cut the hole bigger if need be.
Other option is to find all the parts to tip the engine over farther, the adaptor will allow me to do it. There's an oil pan and pump available, but the pump is for the gas engine and is smaller than the diesel oil pump. Not my preferred option... Also shift s the weight more off centre.
914forme
To answer your question if it was just the engine, it does not matter at all. It can go anywhere you want it to go. Since you have the 901 you might want to go with the stock location of the 901. Might.

So lots of people have built adapters to move engines forward with the 901. Renegade I think has one that moves the engine and trans forward. If you need to shift to the side, that becomes more of an issue, as your dealing with mechanical shift linkage.

It can be done just how much work do you want to deal with.

As far as tipping the engine, the pump is one thing, I have a feeling what you really need is the pan and pickup tube. Check the Vanagon of that time, the diesel engine was a water-cooled out of the rabbit, Jetta, etc.... While the Gas version had the Wasserboxer. That gets your engine tilted and down maybe where you need it.

Or cut the trunk wall and build a little box to cover it all backup.

You could just put a dimple into it by smash.gif
Dr Evil
Very cool! Always wanted to see something like this. Hit me up and I can see how we can save $$ and get you want you need. Since you are not afraid to wrench, there are cheaper ways to try out some gears once it is running that will let you dial it in before you spend on more expensive gears. The different ring and pinion would be a costly step, though. Lets explore other options.
Chris H.
Yes the Vanagon diesel oil pan allows you to turn the engine 50 degrees in order to get it under the Vanagon deck lid. Many people use them to install other VW engines into the Vanagon such as the 1.8t or a newer TDI engine. It's a direct bolt up for many inline VW engines. No reason you couldn't use it for a 914 diesel.

You can buy a used one, or maybe contact these guys and see if they will sell just the pan.

Foreign Auto Supply

It's real fancy compared to the stock pan biggrin.gif . Scroll down and you can see how the setup installs into a Vanagon. It's kind of alarming how much it's tilted but since the oil pan compensates it runs just the same as any other engine.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 5 2018, 03:34 AM) *
Maybe a taller ring and pinion and bring all the gears up? Someday...
Besides... I'm CHEAP!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! A new ring and pinion and CHEAP do not go anywhere near each other. The only alternate R&Ps that I am aware of for the 914-based boxes are from the Sporto cars, or custom-made. I'll give you three guesses how cheap those are, and the first two don't count...

The CHEAP way to make your gearing taller is bigger wheels and tires. Get some 18s with 50- or 60-series tires on them and that should drop the revs everywhere. The speedo will be off at that point, though.

--DD
914forme
To add off Dave's ideas, the Speedo fix is much easier.

On the cheap I used to run a bike speedo $10 and a magnet taped to the CV. Rolled it a couple of rotation like the direction said and I was safe at my venue. No way I was getting a ticket on a service road for going over 10 MPH. Asshole campus cops with nothing better to do but bust a driver for going 2 MPH over a speed limit.

Next level up would be go with a GPS speedo. Many of applications on your phone, some are free but the phone cost.

If you want it in the dash, many options for GPS add ons for the gauge or Speedhut sells one that is enclosed looks similar to the original VDO.

Beyond that taller gearing is way cheaper still.

A proper Passat FWD TDI Transaxle from a FWD is cheaper. What about a five speed out of the late 80s early 90s VW fox it was a longitudinal engine. Mechanical stick, but still might work. Gearing would still be a bit low, but maybe better than the 901

Or a bus trans out of a TDI bus.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Of course you could run drag slicks and just light them up so they grow bigger and bigger and bigger. laugh.gif If this was a TDI then that would be entirely possible.

You could also go with a Subaru MT5 your already running an adapter plate.
Porschef
I don't know the gearing letters, but maybe a nice tall 5th in the 901 is the way to go for now.
PatrickB
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 17 2018, 08:34 AM) *

To answer your question if it was just the engine, it does not matter at all. It can go anywhere you want it to go. Since you have the 901 you might want to go with the stock location of the 901. Might.

So lots of people have built adapters to move engines forward with the 901. Renegade I think has one that moves the engine and trans forward. If you need to shift to the side, that becomes more of an issue, as your dealing with mechanical shift linkage.

It can be done just how much work do you want to deal with.

As far as tipping the engine, the pump is one thing, I have a feeling what you really need is the pan and pickup tube. Check the Vanagon of that time, the diesel engine was a water-cooled out of the rabbit, Jetta, etc.... While the Gas version had the Wasserboxer. That gets your engine tilted and down maybe where you need it.

Or cut the trunk wall and build a little box to cover it all backup.

You could just put a dimple into it by smash.gif
Tipping the engine without tipping the trans is possible with the adaptor, pan and oil pump available from Vanagon but for a gas engine (smaller oil pump). I think I'm going to cut the hole a little bigger and build a box to cover it. I want to leave the 901 trans in the stock location, and try to have the centreline of the crankshaft in as close to the same place as the original engine as possible.
PatrickB
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 17 2018, 10:17 AM) *

Very cool! Always wanted to see something like this. Hit me up and I can see how we can save $$ and get you want you need. Since you are not afraid to wrench, there are cheaper ways to try out some gears once it is running that will let you dial it in before you spend on more expensive gears. The different ring and pinion would be a costly step, though. Lets explore other options.

I will be getting in touch with you at some point. the gearing that's there now will work fine, great for autocross. To take full advantage of the engine though I'd like to see high gear down around 2000rpm at 50 mph, engine will have lots of torque to handle it.
Did I mention I have 2 spare side shift transmission sitting in the corner? smile.gif
PatrickB
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 17 2018, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 5 2018, 03:34 AM) *
Maybe a taller ring and pinion and bring all the gears up? Someday...
Besides... I'm CHEAP!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! A new ring and pinion and CHEAP do not go anywhere near each other. The only alternate R&Ps that I am aware of for the 914-based boxes are from the Sporto cars, or custom-made. I'll give you three guesses how cheap those are, and the first two don't count...

The CHEAP way to make your gearing taller is bigger wheels and tires. Get some 18s with 50- or 60-series tires on them and that should drop the revs everywhere. The speedo will be off at that point, though.

--DD

Not much room for taller tires, those are 16" Ronals with 225/55R 16's on the back. Pretty much fills the wheelwell and puts about an 8" wide patch on the road
PatrickB
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 17 2018, 03:47 PM) *

I don't know the gearing letters, but maybe a nice tall 5th in the 901 is the way to go for now.

My thought exactly.
PatrickB
Did a little more cutting.... can't get the engine in line with the old position. Means we're into building a custom front crossmember... I had visions of using the stock crossmember to bolt to. It looked like it should work with everything sitting on the floor...Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
PatrickB
need to clean up the cuts a little more, do some work on a front mount, and do some work on the heater hose lines. One comes off the end of the head and doesn't leave enough room to get a line on. Have to use them fro circulation at least even if I don't put heat in the car..(but I plan to)
Porschef
Keep on keepin' on... beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 17 2018, 12:47 PM) *

The stock 914 5th gear is the tallest original gear made for the 901-based gearboxes that I know of.

To go taller, you "flip" a gear set--that is, you switch which of the two shafts the gears ride on. There's one gear that goes on the main shaft, and one that goes on the pinion shaft; you move the first gear to the pinion shaft and the second gear to the main shaft.

Usually it's a 3rd gear that gets flipped.

https://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

--DD
PatrickB
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2018, 12:29 AM) *

The stock 914 5th gear is the tallest original gear made for the 901-based gearboxes that I know of.

To go taller, you "flip" a gear set--that is, you switch which of the two shafts the gears ride on. There's one gear that goes on the main shaft, and one that goes on the pinion shaft; you move the first gear to the pinion shaft and the second gear to the main shaft.

--DD

Thanks! Good to know.
Dr Evil

--DD

Because of the base circle on the gear, you can only go so small on the driven gear in 5th. ZD is stock for 914 5th gear and is the tallest stock gear. After that, a flipped H gear set (usually a second gear) is the only other alternative. This is a conversion that has been done hundreds of times without issue. The torque of a diesel wont be an issue in 5th as you are already moving and not trying to break the inertia of being stagnant, or even slow.
Porschef
Ahhh, that explains it. Cool. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 5 2018, 08:03 AM) *

--DD

Yea me too ,even the crappy early model 60 hp diesel Golf motor can eat out an 020 five speed after not that long.
PatrickB
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 18 2018, 11:33 AM) *

Because of the base circle on the gear, you can only go so small on the driven gear in 5th. ZD is stock for 914 5th gear and is the tallest stock gear. After that, a flipped H gear set (usually a second gear) is the only other alternative. This is a conversion that has been done hundreds of times without issue. The torque of a diesel wont be an issue in 5th as you are already moving and not trying to break the inertia of being stagnant, or even slow.
Sounds like the solution I'll use when I get there, but I don't think it will be this summer. Can you give me a ballpark of what the revs will be at say 60 mph? That's highway cruising gear, not pound on it gear.

--DD

PatrickB
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 19 2018, 03:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 5 2018, 08:03 AM) *

--DD

Yea me too ,even the crappy early model 60 hp diesel Golf motor can eat out an 020 five speed after not that long.

Been running this exact engine on an 020 for a lot of years. Put at least 350,000 kms on it. Replaced one gearbox about 15 years ago not long after I got the car. I guess it depends how you use it.... I don't baby it though. The fuel and boost was turned up a lot of years ago, I'm not shy with the throttle, and I occasionally pull a 1000 pound tent trailer with it. I don't think I'll have problems with the 901. I do run synthetic oil in the 020 though... I wonder if that helps? Made it shift smoother.
914forme
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 19 2018, 05:25 AM) *

Can you give me a ballpark of what the revs will be at say 60 mph? That's highway cruising gear, not pound on it gear.

Yes I can, depends on your trie size as it determines you overall ratio.

Stock R&P Tires are 225/55-16

ZD 2500 RPM
HA 2200 RPM
H 2050 RPM

All approximates the graphs have not real great resolution to give the RPM down to the 1 RPM increments.
Dr Evil
I thought the little diesels like to rev high, though? The little 240D Mercedes I had would be screaming at fwy speeds. I actually though it was missing a gear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.