Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Widebody LS6 rebuild.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
dan10101
I'm back in the 914 world after more than 35 years!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I am the lucky winner of The car known as the Screamcicle and probably several other names.

It was originally built by Bill who frequented this forum.
Then bought by Paul who also was a 914 world member improved and refined this 550hp monster.

Unfortunate events left the front end damaged and in need of extensive repair.

Paul didn't want the car parted out, rather he wanted it to be purchased by someone who would bring it back to it's most recent glorious state.

Enter me... I had just sold my hit rod El Camino and finally the timing was right. Andrew sent me a note as he knew I was looking for a project. And a Hot rod 914 fit the profile. A lightweight classic car that could be autocrossed, track driven, and maybe a trip to taco Bell.

My previous 914 was a 1971 1.7 with Monza exhaust, Weber carbs, and Rivera wheels. This will be a big change. Fortunately I will have been buffered into the outlaw world by Andyrew's build over the last 15+ years. Quite excited to have Son/Father outlaw widebodys.

Many of you know that the car was on the east coast and I live on the west coast. It was picked up yesterday but the transportation company. Paul was a great help accommodateing the driver and reassuring that it would tranport just fine. I wish this company had tracking but at least this way I won't be watching it's every move as I wait the 7-10 days going coast to coast.

If you see a white 914 on a red auto transport truck. Please let me know!

I'll ad to this thread more later,. But here's a teaser picture.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mueller
Congrats!
dan10101
Thanks Mike,. It'll be a challenge and I'll need help , but it'll get done.
ClayPerrine
Saw this car at Hershey a few years ago. Hell of a nice car.

Congrats!

smilie_pokal.gif
burton73
TORQUE-o-holic this car is.

Happy you got it

Enjoy the journey. Please keep us posted on the rebuild of it.

Bob B
welder.gif first.gif driving-girl.gif
mgp4591
That's great that you've got this monster in your hands now! And welcome back... Andrew and I talked a little over 3 years ago about our projects at the 2015 WCR. He's finished his while I went through some major setbacks but I'm still working on it. It'll be good to see your progress and will be a boost to my motivation as well. I'm looking forward to seeing these father/son Outlaws at the next WCR if that's what your goal is - She's in great hands! popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
Bill and I ran down to the Rocket City Ramble. beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
Hi Dan, congrats...this will be a great project. Is this a real 1974 LE car? Please post or PM me the VIN.
TravisNeff
Great project, that is one seriously cool car.
dan10101
Clay,. Thanks,. That was one of my decision factors,. A lot of people saw it and liked it enough to give a people's award.

Bob, thanks, I will be posting updates.

MGP. Andrew and I will motivate each other as well. I definitely want to park / drive these side by side.

Rick,. I was reading the old posts and saw that. I d
Had and will have lots of time to do research.

Jeff. I think they are calling it a tribute car, but I'll get you the VIN anyways.

One more picture of what it looked like in it's prime then we'll get to the current situation.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Cool looking car - must be fairly frightening with that power/weight. Congrats and looking forward to your repair/build updates.
ChrisFoley
Here's a pic of Paul at the Meadowlands in 2011 on the day we co-drove the car in an autocross, right after Hershey I think.
I made some changes to the suspension for Paul based on the experience.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Congratulations Dan. That is a terrific car ad I look forward to seeing it repaired and back on the road. beerchug.gif
JRust
Holy cow Dan! You are coming back in style my friend. That car is Bad ass. I hope you put it back just like it was. I LOVE the look of that car. Then the build is just awesome. Plus your even close enough for me to come check it out sometime. Can't wait to see your progress
EdwardBlume
Congrats! aktion035.gif
dan10101
Thanks guys .
Jamie and all, the plan is to go back with the Sheridan bodywork.
Andrew and I just spent some time taking measurements. I'll be able to see how far off the white one is compared to his orange one. Its far from exact but it will give me some idea.
dan10101
Chris,
Thanks for.the picture. I might try my had drifting
Andyrew
To say I am excited is an understatement piratenanner.gif

We have been strategizing this for a while now and have a decent plan of attack. I'll let Dad post on that but how he does the repair will be VERY interesting to watch. Unfortunately I wont be able to help much due to location...

This is going to be a VERY long couple weeks waiting for it to show up sad.gif

Im already bench racing in my head... Loosing.... But still bench racing smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 6 2018, 01:12 AM) *

Chris,

That day the car was way too loose, even for drifting.
He did a full 360, smoking the tires while trying to get the car going in the right direction again, after a spin on-course.
#fail
biggrin.gif
tygaboy
Sounds like the next Workshop Day should be at Dan's? shades.gif

Looking forward to watching. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.
dan10101
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 6 2018, 04:06 AM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 6 2018, 01:12 AM) *

Chris,

That day the car was way too loose, even for drifting.
He did a full 360, smoking the tires while trying to get the car going in the right direction again, after a spin on-course.
#fail
biggrin.gif

I've been there before felt the smiles and the frowns
sunglasses.gif confused24.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 6 2018, 06:05 AM) *

Sounds like the next Workshop Day should be at Dan's? shades.gif

Looking forward to watching. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

Build partyat my house!
You bring all the tools I'll supply the mess. aktion035.gif

burton73
What is your take on how to redo your car?

Transplant all the goodies in a new body or get a body shop to rework the body on this one?

Or are you a guy with mad skill sets like we have seen here?

Bob B
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
type.gif type.gif type.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif hissyfit.gif type.gif idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif w00t.gif smilie_pokal.gif sunglasses.gif wub.gif flag.gif driving.gif

That's my guess to how it's actually going to go down smile.gif
DRPHIL914
i think i saw this car at okteenerfest 4 years ago in Townsend TN, and he lost the clutch on the first day! headbang.gif
really nice to see it reacquired by someone who can get her back on the road! good luck with the restoration/rehab.
r_towle
Are there pics from the front?
A thread I missed?
Is Paul OK?
I hope the magic gas can survived!!!
Andyrew
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 6 2018, 08:16 PM) *

Are there pics from the front?
A thread I missed?
Is Paul OK?
I hope the magic gas can survived!!!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=327081

Here you go smile.gif
914-300Hemi
Congrats on a great looking car. Looks like a fun project.
9144me2enjoy
Congratsulations on your purchase, I had just PM the previous owner about buying the engine, my loss I should of just bought the car! IF you loose interest in the rebuild let me know, I would love to take it off your hands! driving.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Jul 6 2018, 10:37 PM) *

Congratsulations on your purchase, I had just PM the previous owner about buying the engine, my loss I should of just bought the car! IF you loose interest in the rebuild let me know, I would love to take it off your hands! driving.gif

Thanks for the offer.
It's not likely that I would loose interest in my dream car. I've wanted one since Hot Rod Magazine did an article on Rod Simpsons red V8.

Yes I'll have earn it, so to speak, but all the better to earn a piece of it. This will make it back on the road.

You're pretty close to me relatively speaking. I'm in Eagle Point.
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 6 2018, 06:08 PM) *

type.gif type.gif type.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif hissyfit.gif type.gif idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif w00t.gif smilie_pokal.gif sunglasses.gif wub.gif flag.gif driving.gif

Yep pretty much. I need to get my hands on it to put a plan together. I'm toying with a couple options. I'll post more pictures next week.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 6 2018, 07:08 PM) *

Sounds familiar!! lol-2.gif
ChrisFoley
I remember standing next to this car when it was on a chassis dyno up the street from my shop right after a camshaft change (to de-tune it slightly) and new crank/rod bearings.
I watched the 180mph speedo get buried with the left rear wheel no more than 2 feet from my right leg.
dan10101
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 7 2018, 01:44 PM) *

I remember standing next to this car when it was on a chassis dyno up the street from my shop right after a camshaft change (to de-tune it slightly) and new crank/rod bearings.
I watched the 180mph speedo get buried with the left rear wheel no more than 2 feet from my right leg.

That's crazy. Do you remember any numbers?

I've been trying to figure out which cam is in it.
It looks like a combination of 2 profiles.
dan10101
Here's a teaser of the current condition. Yes Paul is ok. Probably a bit heartbroken I know I was when I did similar work to my BMW.
The 914 sustained front end damage. But fortunately the really important stuff is fine. Even the radiator looks ok.

I'll post more when it's in my hands. Keep a look out for a red truck car carrier doing the cross country bit. Let me know if you see it!

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 7 2018, 07:50 PM) *

I want to say 425 at the wheels but that's not a certain memory. I don't think I have the dyno graph in my records.
The cam was ground for 1.8 ratio lifters IIRC, which were supplied with the camshaft. I don't remember the cam mfr & p/n but it was more conservative than the one Bill built the engine with.
dan10101
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 8 2018, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 7 2018, 07:50 PM) *

I want to say 425 at the wheels but that's not a certain memory. I don't think I have the dyno graph in my records.
The cam was ground for 1.8 ratio lifters IIRC, which were supplied with the camshaft. I don't remember the cam mfr & p/n but it was more conservative than the one Bill built the engine with.

That actually sounds pretty good. Thank
whitetwinturbo
happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif ............ looks like it might by fast stirthepot.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jul 9 2018, 07:16 PM) *

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif ............ looks like it might by fast stirthepot.gif

well, maybe. At least fast enough for me... driving.gif
9144me2enjoy
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 7 2018, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Jul 6 2018, 10:37 PM) *

Thanks for the offer.
It's not likely that I would loose interest in my dream car. I've wanted one since Hot Rod Magazine did an article on Rod Simpsons red V8.

Yes I'll have earn it, so to speak, but all the better to earn a piece of it. This will make it back on the road.

You're pretty close to me relatively speaking. I'm in Eagle Point.

Dan wishing you the best on the rebuild, its your dream now! Live it, treasure it, enjoy it! Beautiful car, hope to cross paths down the road. Roy
dan10101
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

It's HERE!!
longest 13 days of my life...

dan10101
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

It's HERE!!
longest 13 days of my life...

bulitt
Thanks for saving this car!

Here is the link to Bills Thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=40674&st=0

And you can search for his other threads...

11.2 in the Qtr mile...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=87867&hl=
dan10101
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 18 2018, 01:54 AM) *

Thanks for saving this car!

Here is the link to Bills Thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=40674&st=0

And you can search for his other threads...

11.2 in the Qtr mile...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=87867&hl=

EDIT. Somehow I missed that first thread. And it's always fun to read the 2nd. THANKS

I have. Thanks.
I needed to fill up 2 weeks of time.. smile.gif
dan10101
Well, I removed the torqued fiberglass front trunk lid and turned up the torsion bar on the drivers side which was completely backed off and suddenly it's not looking too bad. I think at this point it's actually driveable. Ok, maybe not very far... Yes, I'll need some sheet metal around the drivers A pillar that took a nice solid tree, and maybe some around the passenger headlight that got pushed down by another tree.

Big beefy brake calipers and rotors. Sway bar looks great, LCA are probably bent, but not much else underneath except for sheetmetal. I need to get it up on the rack to know for sure.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JRust
So cool! Glad to see it made it okay. Always a worry with transport. Especially when it get's moved rig to rig a few times. Congrats on getting it finally. Now the fun really begins. Can't wait to see it come together Dan. As soon as my car is on the road I've got to come down to see it drooley.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 18 2018, 06:46 PM) *

So cool! Glad to see it made it okay. Always a worry with transport. Especially when it get's moved rig to rig a few times. Congrats on getting it finally. Now the fun really begins. Can't wait to see it come together Dan. As soon as my car is on the road I've got to come down to see it drooley.gif

I was hoping to have something to show you when you were cruising by. Give me a holler next time your in the vicinity. We also provide B&B for our weary traveling friends. smile.gif
Andyrew
Good candidate for getting a portapower.

Do you have a stud gun? I have your slide hammer here.

Do you have some heavy duty trees you can pull around or maybe build some pyramid structures out of heavy duty steel and bolt to the ground for anchor points for pulling the chassis out?

I have ideas we need to discuss smile.gif

Pieces you 100% need:

Front hood (Fiberglass)
Front end (Sheridan, Do you have this on order?)
930 control arms (Or possibly 914 control arms with 914 torsion bars? http://914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/index.php?t162853.html )
Driver side A pillar section.
Drivers side headlight bucket

dan10101

I placed my order in the 914 store. We'll see who can fill it, cheap...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331775

The boss and I negotiated for a Sheridan order. I'm only holding off because I don't have anywhere to store it. I gotta get that BMW stripped and crushed.

I had some ideas for bending sheet metal. I have no shortage of trees, but I also was thinking we could use the lift. Either the posts for side to side or the arms for up and down. Maybe put some anchors in the concrete and reinforce the Ibeams for the lift a bit more solid. I think the bending might be minimal once the items that are heavily bent are replaced. (or just before they are replaced..) The measurements we took of Andrews car are pretty close other than the A-pillar pushed in and the passenger headlight bucket pushed down a couple inches. It's all fixable with flat sheet metal, but easier with some cheap (did I say cheap) replacement panels.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Jul 19 2018, 01:07 AM) *

I placed my order in the 914 store. We'll see who can fill it, cheap...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331775

The boss and I negotiated for a Sheridan order. I'm only holding off because I don't have anywhere to store it. I gotta get that BMW stripped and crushed.

I had some ideas for bending sheet metal. I have no shortage of trees, but I also was thinking we could use the lift. Either the posts for side to side or the arms for up and down. Maybe put some anchors in the concrete and reinforce the Ibeams for the lift a bit more solid. I think the bending might be minimal once the items that are heavily bent are replaced. (or just before they are replaced..) The measurements we took of Andrews car are pretty close other than the A-pillar pushed in and the passenger headlight bucket pushed down a couple inches. It's all fixable with flat sheet metal, but easier with some cheap (did I say cheap) replacement panels.

I would not use the lift. It was designed with the stresses setup to support a car up in the air. Putting side loads on it changes the direction of the stress, possibly weakening it for holding a car up. Personally, I wouldn't get under a car on a lift that had been used like that.

I have pulled cars out using trees before. When my nephew got hit in his Datsun 510 years ago, I pulled it out by strapping it between 2 very large Oak trees and using a come along to pull the B-pillar out. That and 2 new doors got it back on the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.