Full Version: 914/6 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gms
I saw this gem
914/6 for sale

lets look at the clues:
Click to view attachment

dr914@autoatlanta.com
you hit that on the money, good observation!
914Sixer
Did you miss the window winder? Late model. I think that they are saying it is a historic recreation.
iwanta914-6
so 130,000 euros for what is essentially a "tribute" or very well done conversion?
gms
and another
gms
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 19 2018, 02:45 PM) *

Did you miss the window winder? Late model. I think that they are saying it is a historic recreation.

No that can be retrofit to an early car, I point out panels and parts of the car that would take major work to change.

gcrotvik
If you look at the hand brake, and then behind it, you see the relief indent for your hand only goes half way down, from to to bottom, the long. On an early car, that relief indent goes almost to the floor pan.
gms
This stuff is easily done but it just adds to the list

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 19 2018, 12:45 PM) *
I think that they are saying it is a historic recreation.

Nope, they're selling it as a real 1970 factory /6 ...
wacko.gif
7TPorsh
Center Dash Vent missing
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 19 2018, 02:01 PM) *

Center Dash Vent missing

/6 didn't have the center dash vent, only early /4 ...
shades.gif
bandjoey
Hand throttle
Larmo63
Busted.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
"ain't" one on the real 914-6 only the 70 71 four

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 19 2018, 02:01 PM) *

Center Dash Vent missing

bretth
That's ridiculous. I'd be embarrassed to have my face shown in those pics.
Mueller
VIN tampering not illegal in France?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 19 2018, 07:54 PM) *

VIN tampering not illegal in France?

That’s more than just vin tampering. It’s putting a vin on the wrong body.
Retroracer
Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
There the tabs that hold in the engine sound pad, late model only. Shift rod hole in the engine compartment is for a side shifter too.
burton73
Click to view attachment sheeplove.gif

Bob B
Mike Bellis
Bombard them with email. I did. Fraud!!!

If they are a reputable dealer, they will drop the listing.
porschetub
Not good ,mines a mongrel and even I know that real six stuff,wonder if they know its maybe a Frankenstein car or they have wasted a heap of coin fixing the wrong car?.
ClayPerrine
Last picture also has a side shifter installed. It has the hole at the back of the shifter. The tail shifter is solid back there.
Racer
Ignition key bezel is wrong. Looks like the one on my 911SC. And rear valance. If what you see is wrong when its put together, makes you wonder whats wrong underneath. Eagle eyes out there!
GeorgeRud
Like any conversion 914, it should actually be a very nice car if properly done, but it certainly does bother me if they’re trying to pass it off as an original -6. It would be interesting to see what is the serial number. However, when cars become valuable, all sorts of games are played.
euro911
Wouldn't it also have white headlight surrounds?
mepstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 20 2018, 07:08 PM) *

Wouldn't it also have white headlight surrounds?

There are plenty of real sixes that have been modified and changes made. I was surprised to see my newly purchased '70 four has black headlight surrounds but that was probably done by the PO since he did some cosmetic "upgrades" like a lot of these cars are subject to. If the seatbelt pockets were welded in a real six chassis, well, that can be reversed down the road. It's still a six. What kills this cars value is not only was it built on a 4 chassis but its the wrong year. To a non 914 guy, its all the same. To someone who wants a real six, it was never a six, its a fraud.
gandalf_025
I painted the white headlight surrounds on my 6 Black
back in the mid 70’s..
Also cut the rear valance shorter like the later cars had.
Kind of sucks when you are your own DAPO....
Nobody else to blame..
At least I did hang on to the original engine...
mepstein
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 21 2018, 01:50 PM) *

back in the mid 70’s..
Nobody else to blame..

At least you didn't "front date" a '66-911. I sold one to a guy in France that had impact bumpers and turbo flares. Sold for 1/3-1/4 the price as an original.
forrestkhaag
This thread reminds me of the feeling of being strapped into a dental chair with a maniac asking you is it safe?... Is it safe.....? Is it safe to buy a 914 these days.... ??

It would be interesting to know if someone or a group of people have assembled a database of 914's sold in recent years. Where was the sale? When (yr)? How much was the ask and how much was the put? etc. And particularly, what was the car originally and what was it sold as - a "real 4" or a fake 6.

I agree with some herein - in that, if properly done, a clone or replica 6 in many ways can be better than an "original" 6 ........ In some ways / like power to weight, suspension, race-instrumentation, FI etc. The database of recent historical sales would shed light on relative value verses relative enjoyment.

In my experience, informal car-show chatter indicates quite often that most who own one or maybe several 750-1M $ cars rarely take them out of the garage for fear of a door ding or rock chip or worse yet a disappearance. WTF.gif

Not so for the vast majority of 914 owners. driving-girl.gif

Having sold a C4S screwy.gif to acquire a 993 screwy.gif screwy.gif and having the good sense to sell the 993 (at a tidy profit) aktion035.gif to buy a decent rust free 914, I can attest to the simple pleasures of having a car (an unreal 914-6) that I can drive anywhere and leave the top off and keys in the ignition and not worry about a thing.

Maybe that's the beauty of living in a place where every other car in every other parking lot is a Mc Laren, a GT3, or a Ferrari of some rarefied variation......... the car thieves probably figure if they are risking a prison term, why jack a 914-6 - real or imagined?

driving-girl.gif

beerchug.gif
Blue6
Hey Forrest, those black headlight surrounds are incorrect on your car.... av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 21 2018, 12:50 PM) *

back in the mid 70’s..
Nobody else to blame..

I think the term you are looking for is DACO.....

larryM
X2 - there is a difference twixt personalized cars vs vin-fraud cars

? does the advert link from Glenn actually show they have a 1970 VIN ??? (i don't see it)

- some do mods on legit chassis for racing reasons, others for convenience or tribute or wannabe-gt reasons

- and some of us just like the better technology & "go faster" attributes of our mods (antiques roadshow oem patina be damned)

the USA 914/6 import spec 911T engine was not exactly a tour-de-force

i always say that if Porche had a 3.2 & 915/916 in 1969-70 it could/would have been in a dealer showroom offer 914-x;

as it were, they did install 2.4's in some later special editions & the 916 once they had 'em;

- the $46K BaT sale of 4712909851 (among recent others) shows there is some appreciating market value in conversions - tho they are still only worth the sum of the parts "invested" imho

"... can't build it for that", posted zak-the-seller - with which some of you now building 'em will agree

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 20 2018, 04:40 PM) *

There are plenty of real sixes that have been modified and changes made. ..... some cosmetic "upgrades" like a lot of these cars are subject to.
To a non 914 guy, its all the same. To someone who wants a real six, it was never a six, its a fraud.

X2 agree.gif
Dave_Darling
They are claiming it's a 1970 914-6. The body is 72 or later. They're not listing it as a conversion or a tribute.

Seems either fraudulent or just plain ignorant to me.

--DD
Coondog
Nice Balboa Island Ferry pic Forrest...... biggrin.gif when I was a kid that was my dream job... aktion035.gif
larryM
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 21 2018, 11:11 PM) *

They are claiming it's a 1970 914-6. The body is 72 or later. They're not listing it as a conversion or a tribute.
Seems either fraudulent or just plain ignorant to me.
--DD

"Claiming" is the operative word

was a VIN for this car published?????????? (I don't see it)

- if they have attached a 1970 914/6 vin to it, it is likely a fraud;

unless we know the France rules for resurrecting & reg'ing "old cars" and their VIN rules - we can't yet say if the seller has done anything illegal in France
73-914
Well they are French
larryM
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jul 21 2018, 05:10 PM) *

It would be interesting to know if someone ... assembled a database of 914's sold in recent years.

Larry Lee keeps a pretty good 914/6 list
http://p914-6info.net/list_file-4-column.htm
& ( i try to keep a running list gleaned from auctions & this site & Panorama among others, mostly of -6's & conversions, & some high-sale-4's)

.... quite often ... most who own ... 750-1M $ cars rarely take them out of the garage for fear of a door ding or rock chip

I can attest to the simple pleasures of having a car (an unreal 914-6) that I can drive anywhere and leave the top off and keys in the ignition and not worry about a thing.

well said - even $100K sixes easlily succumb to that fear-to-drive factor

as Sam Smith recently published in June R&T - "an undriven car is basically furniture" & "It's one thing to trot out a car like a show pony, warm Sundays only. Even sloppy engineering and murderous road conditions can be fun for a few hours."
mepstein
I’ll never understand the fear to drive thing.
My dad just went up in a freshly restored P-51 mustang. He was a passenger but thank goodness (for my father) the owner didn’t have a fear of flying the multi million dollar airplane.
larryM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2018, 11:32 AM) *

My dad just went up in a freshly restored P-51 mustang. He was a passenger but thank goodness (for my father) the owner didn’t have a fear of flying the multi million dollar airplane.

1. .. it's about how much one can afford to 'write off' or has fully insured

2. it's about preserving perfection so it always gets maximum points at concour or passes Hagerty et al auction value definitions of #1 & #2

mepstein
QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 22 2018, 10:15 PM) *

.. it's about how much one can afford to 'write off' or has fully insured

The guys who keep there cars in the garage because they are to scared to drive them are fully insured. You can even buy track day insurance. Its something else.
sixnotfour
if my factory GT lids qet sat on .../.what then ??? there is no more
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2018, 10:32 AM) *

My rule is never have a dog or a car you are afraid of, if you're afraid to drive your car, sell it. I drive all my cars in everything but salty road winter. And I'm not at all afraid of my dogs!
carr914
Could you please not Post pics of you and your GF frenching? That's Fuchin Digusting! Almost as bad as your slaughter of a 914
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 22 2018, 10:12 PM) *

My rule is never have a dog or a car you are afraid of, if you're afraid to drive your car, sell it. I drive all my cars in everything but salty road winter. And I'm not at all afraid of my dogs!

Not the picture I would use to show how brave you are poke.gif av-943.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 23 2018, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 22 2018, 10:12 PM) *

Not the picture I would use to show how brave you are poke.gif av-943.gif

I think you guys are missing the point here, never be afraid to drive your car or snuggle your dog. I drive my cars in everything but salty snow.
thelogo
Same here as in i buy a car you can drive alot and enjoy possibly even beat to shit if you should have the desire to . ( thats how i roll )

Not the ones in the autoatlanta glass case.

wub.gif they are way to nice , they belong in the luv museum wub.gif
Mark Henry
dp
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2018, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Jul 22 2018, 10:15 PM) *

.. it's about how much one can afford to 'write off' or has fully insured

The guys who keep there cars in the garage because they are to scared to drive them are fully insured. You can even buy track day insurance. Its something else.

Over on the bird I have this in my signature

Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

I don't want a garage queen (or girlfriend) that I can't drive, not in my DNA biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.