Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JP Group Dansk Reproduction Gas Tanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
I see that JP group are reproducing 914 gas tanks now. Seeing that mine is quite rusty inside and needs new paint these look very tempting. They're very well priced too.

http://www.jpgroupclassic.com/productview.aspx?ID=1615600600

Has anyone seen one yet?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes we have plenty of them in stock, the only problem is that they do not have all of the brackets on them

QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 23 2018, 07:50 AM) *

I see that JP group are reproducing 914 gas tanks now. Seeing that mine is quite rusty inside and needs new paint these look very tempting. They're very well priced too.

Has anyone seen one yet?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
When I asked, they said "well most People want to eliminate the charcoal canister anyway"
sb914

Has anyone seen one yet?

I don't see the price?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we sell them for 295.

QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 23 2018, 08:23 AM) *

Has anyone seen one yet?

I don't see the price?

defianty
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 04:14 PM) *

When I asked, they said "well most People want to eliminate the charcoal canister anyway"

That's fine as I'm deleting the charcoal canister av-943.gif
defianty
Currently on eBay Germany for 149 EUROS
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes the shipping on something that big just KILLS!!

QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 23 2018, 08:43 AM) *

Currently on eBay Germany for 149 EUROS

bbrock
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 09:14 AM) *

Because people enjoy the smell of gasoline fumes or because we need more carbon in the atmosphere? confused24.gif
worn
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 23 2018, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 09:14 AM) *

Because people enjoy the smell of gasoline fumes or because we need more carbon in the atmosphere? confused24.gif

Seems like the canister at worst doesn’t do harm. I like mine. The hose connection on the 76 is not so great.
IronHillRestorations
I like to use a fuel vapor recovery system whenever possible. It mitigates fuel aroma in the cabin, and is (arguably) environmentally more conscience.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Aug 23 2018, 11:43 AM) *

I like to use a fuel vapor recovery system whenever possible. It mitigates fuel aroma in the cabin, and is (arguably) environmentally more conscience.

totally agree Perry
mepstein
Some of the dansk parts are good, some fit like they were made blindfolded.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
like the upside down 1.8 tail pipes

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2018, 12:50 PM) *

Some of the dansk parts are good, some fit like they were made blindfolded.
rgalla9146

I think the picture in the JP add is a well chosen angle.
One of the sides near the top has deep wrinkles similar to some repro
suspension ears and hell hole patch panels
defianty
To finish up this thread the new gas tank arrived today and I must say I'm pleased with the quality. Only thing to note it that it doesn't have mounts for the charcoal canister which I think is a bit of an oversight by them and will put many people off. However for my application it's perfect.

IPB Image
Steve
Since my car is a 75, the canister is in the engine compartment. Looks perfect for that application.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 30 2018, 09:22 AM) *

Since my car is a 75, the canister is in the engine compartment. Looks perfect for that application.

Exactly- just mount your Cannister like on a '75-75 but I would not go with out the canister , I had bad fumes in cabin until I replaced the activated charcoal and it has been fine since.

914Sixer
What am I seeing in the last picture? Stock tanks DO NOT have a huge indention in them.
carking1996
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 30 2018, 04:42 PM) *

What am I seeing in the last picture? Stock tanks DO NOT have a huge indention in them.

The right side? Unsure what you're talking about. That indent on the right side is for the holder to go over.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 30 2018, 12:42 PM) *

That's a later European style for a gas heater.

I just made that up biggrin.gif
mlindner
Charcoal canisters seem to fail when gas tanks are always overly top up, forcing gas into the canister.
defianty
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 30 2018, 09:42 PM) *

Well here's the original tank - with huge indentation.

IPB Image

And the new one for reference again.

IPB Image
echocanyons
A plastic version in the same material that the 911s have would be excellent!
mepstein
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Aug 30 2018, 07:41 PM) *

A plastic version in the same material that the 911s have would be excellent!

A plastic version of the GT enduro tank would be even better.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 30 2018, 06:22 AM) *

No it is not. The bracket it does have is for the early steel expansion tank.
Technically only correct for a 1974 late. They will work on prior years but lack the charcoal canister brackets as noted.

Listed on the Pelican site at $204.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...L_pg3.htm#item9

Out of stock till mid september.

Bruce
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 30 2018, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 30 2018, 06:22 AM) *

No it is not. The bracket it does have is for the early steel expansion tank.
Technically only correct for a 1974 late. They will work on prior years but lack the charcoal canister brackets as noted.

Listed on the Pelican site at $204.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...L_pg3.htm#item9

Out of stock till mid september.

Bruce

That's a better price. Wholesale to shops is around $150
914Sixer
My bad, the picture to me made it look a lot deeper than it really is.
a914luvr
Dansk really is hit and miss as far as fit and quality. I'm just thankful they are making parts for our 914's including heat exchangers.
mepstein
QUOTE(a914luvr @ Aug 30 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Dansk really is hit and miss as far as fit and quality. I'm just thankful they are making parts for our 914's including heat exchangers.

agree.gif but remember the first batch of heat exchangers were junk.
Chi-town
Bumping an old thread because I just got one of these in for my 75'

It is identical the to the tank I have out of my 74'

Swirl pot is there, fittings are the same, brackets are the same, paint job is good.

For the $160 shipped I paid for it I would say Dansk is a suitable alternative to trying to rusty tanks.
bkrantz
Another resurrection bump. Can anyone say for sure that Dansk created an early model, and what brackets it has?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we actually sent Dansk two original tanks (early and late) so they could get the bracketing and the bottom cup correct. The first run of tanks the did before we sent them the originals were bad
double-a
i installed one of the new, late-style dansk tanks (thanks AA!) this summer, and i found the quality to be outstanding
bkrantz
Thanks, George and Aaron.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 23 2018, 07:42 AM) *

Deleting the charcoal canister.

No performance gains.
The constant smell of gas in your interior.

Why?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Nov 20 2020, 11:56 PM) *

QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 23 2018, 07:42 AM) *

Deleting the charcoal canister.

No performance gains.
The constant smell of gas in your interior.

Why?

agree.gif

The weight of the charcoal canister is negligible, it keeps the gas smell in the car away, and there is no gain in performance. I don't see any downside in having it. Just replace the charcoal in the canister and put it back on the car.

The 4.0 currently has the canister, but it just goes to the air under the left fender. I am in process of hooking it back up. The 70 six was a Cali emissionis car, and had a canister from the factory, so I will be hooking it back up as soon as I get the lines off the parts car we bought to fix Betty's 914.

And if the tank doesn't have the mount for the canister, do what they did in 74, and put it in the engine compartment. Then run a small line up to the tank. Unless you are making a concours car, it doesn't matter where it is located.
Montreal914
Bumping this thread...

I would like to know if the early tank has been received by anyone and if all brackets are there. From the JP Group website, I can see the two models and they show brackets, but before getting a tank, I would appreciate some feedback... beerchug.gif
BillJ
The tank pictured above is the one i received a month ago. It is correct.
Montreal914
Thanks beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.