Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - Metal Clutch Cable Pulley
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
motorvated
Switched over to a header/megaphone exhaust and quickly melted the stock white plastic pulley on the transaxle. Wrapped the headers and collector with fiberglass tape and installed a black delrin pulley, and promptly melted that one too. The collector sits very close to the pulley. I'm racing the car so things are getting pretty hot under there. Anyone have or know where I can get a metal pulley. I know that some were produced a while back, so if you have one in your parts stash that you won't be using, I could certainly use it. Thanks, Mike.
1adam12
You may want to look into some heat deflector sheets in the meantime. Either DEI or DCI will have some heat reflective material with adhesive backing that you could custom form to the back housing of the cable pulley housing and then use a heavy duty formable reflective sheet on the face exposed to the headers like a cover. You'll have to tin cut it to shape and then use safety wire to attach. Not the prettiest solution but could get the job done until you find an aluminum pulley wheel.
mb911
I thought ebay possibly?
bdstone914

Edit. I do not have them
Was thinking thermostat pulley
R.
Bruce
motorvated
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 11 2018, 05:37 AM) *

I have them. PM me.
Bruce

PM sent. Thanks.
Mikey914
That's a lot of heat. May want to check your trans fluid on a regular basis.
motorvated
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 11 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Fresh oil and one race weekend for the last melted one. Pedal felt fine the whole time, but felt odd when driving the car out of the trailer about a week later. Tranny has a Quaife in it and I'm running it pretty hard. This probably belongs in the Garage if the discussion continues.
motorvated
QUOTE(motorvated @ Sep 11 2018, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 11 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Fresh oil and one race weekend for the last melted one. Pedal felt fine the whole time, but felt odd when driving the car out of the trailer about a week later. Tranny has a Quaife in it and I'm running it pretty hard. This probably belongs in the Garage if the discussion continues.

BTT - Still Looking.
cary
Could try this. Moves it away from the gear box.
Click to view attachment

Do you a transmission cooler ?
Larmo63
I used Chris's excellent Tangerine pulley adapter that Cary mentions above.

That, and a Patrick Motorsports pulley....
GregAmy
A simple piece of roof flashing (or .040" aluminum if you want to be fancy) is all you need to block the radiant heat from the exhaust.

The header on my Integra Super Touring car flowed right below the oil pan, about 2" away. I was seeing stoopit oil temps. I added some aluminum flashing mounted about halfway between the header and oil pan. Oil temps dropped 30 degrees.

Just make sure the flashing is not mounted up against the pulley, since conduction will get it there anyway.
rhodyguy
Thermal barrier coat your headers.
JamesM
Are you sure there is not something else going on with the tune of your car? That seems like a lot of heat in your exhaust.

Running a similar setup on my autocross car with the 4-1 collector running right by the clutch pulley. Prior to jet-hot coating and a custom bracket to angle the clutch cable slightly lower, the best I was able to do was melt the cable sheath where it ran close to the pipes. Melting the pulley that is not in direct contact with the exhaust just seems like a crazy amount of heat.

Retarded timing can cause some really high EGTs, just saying.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Is that a delrin pulley? Or just powder coated.
Larmo63
That is the Patrick Motorsports pulley that they sell.
barefoot
Measure your fully and look in McMaster Carr online. they have all kinds of industrial stuff & may have something close that you may have to drill out the center hole to fit.
motorvated
Great suggestion. Looks like they have both finished pulleys and blanks that can be machined. Might find something that will work.
Chi-town
That kind of radiant heat is damaging a lot of other things besides that plastic pulley. I can't imagine what your trans oil temps look like. blink.gif

Pick up one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/th...eter-63985.html

Point it at the trans, CV's, and clutch pulley after a hard run. This will give you a better idea of what you are dealing with as far as radiant heat.

I would also invest in a wideband O2 set up and double check your fueling because if the exhaust is that hot your exhaust valves and seats probably aren't going to last long at all.

If your fueling and ignition are spot on , then I would look into Jet-Hot or Zercotec not only to protect surrounding components but to lower engine bay temps and make more power.
Mikey914
My question is are you running a synthetic trans fluid?
motorvated
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 21 2018, 10:28 AM) *

My question is are you running a synthetic trans fluid?

Nope, just running GL-5 80W-90 regular "Dino" gear oil. Some photos of the melted Delrin pulley.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
You don't see that kind of deformation til the 300 degree range. That's why I asked. May cause your fluid to break down faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.