Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
My 914 is hardly a high point restoration. evilgrin.gif

The original interior light is broken...in multiple pieces. I'm not inclined to pay the price for an original Hella fixture. Does the common (1952-1977) VW interior light fixture fit and work?

Thanks.
PanelBilly
I put in a light from a late model VW. These’s a thread on it
914sgofast2
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 12 2018, 05:32 PM) *

The original interior light is broken...in multiple pieces. I'm not inclined to pay the price for an original Hella fixture. Does the common (1952-1977) VW interior light fixture fit and work?

Thanks.

The 52 to 79 beetle lights work perfectly and work the same. They just do not have the chrome edge surround in the plastic - it’s completely clear. A “new beetle” interior light will also fit, but you will have to modify the electrical connectors to match those on the “new beetle’s “ style of interior light. They all have the same 3 functions: On continuously - Off - On when you open a door.
Valy
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 12 2018, 05:32 PM) *

Thanks.

Yes. Done it.
JawjaPorsche
Yes, I did that. It looks good. I just keep it in the off position because I don't want the bulb to melt the plastic if I leave the door open too long. That is what fried my original.
mepstein
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 13 2018, 04:54 AM) *

Yes, I did that. It looks good. I just keep it in the off position because I don't want the bulb to melt the plastic if I leave the door open too long. That is what fried my original.

Use an led bulb.
DickSteinkamp
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help.
GeorgeRud
I tried an LED bulb thinking that it would be cooler, but I found the festoon bulb actually runs quite hot (though much brighter than the original bulb).

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
GeorgeRud
double post.
PanelBilly
Her yo go. Found my photos.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
John
Do these aftermarket interior lights stay in place?

I recall years ago attempting this very thing, but I couldn't get the aftermarket Type1 interior light to stay snapped in place (or even to get it to snap in place).

I've been living with the broken in half original for years, but I want one that isn't split so I recently purchased a Type1 interior light to try again (I know trying the same thing and expecting a different result is insanity, but I'm going to try again.) I already replaced the bulb with an LED replacement, so the heat issue is resolved.

Any tips when doing this? Is there a metal bracket that is part of the backpad that needs to be bent/modified for the light to snap into? As I recall, the backpad is formed stiff cardboard or masonite or something and is easily damaged at the edges.

As always, thanks for your input.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.