Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove Front Shock Bushing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Anyone have tips on removing the rubber bushings from the front shock alignment plate/mount without destroying them? I'd like to take this apart to clean and repaint but the bushings look great and I'd like to reuse them.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
I used a press. It comes flying out of there, so be careful. I'm pretty sure it wasn't destroyed in the process, but I was replacing them with the 914Rubber version, and so I wasn't overly concerned. IIRC, the bushings are made of two separate pieces.
bbrock
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 8 2018, 08:17 AM) *

I used a press. It comes flying out of there, so be careful. I'm pretty sure it wasn't destroyed in the process, but I was replacing them with the 914Rubber version, and so I wasn't overly concerned. IIRC, the bushings are made of two separate pieces.

Thanks! So it comes out in one piece? I also thought it looked like two separate pieces of rubber but I can't tell if they are glued together. I also wondered if I could press out the metal center and then remove the rubber. Replacing with 914rubber bushings is my backup plan, but I hate to ruin perfectly good OEM parts. Or I could just clean and paint with them in place I guess.
914Sixer
Leave them in and use a wire wheel to clean them up. Just put some HD tape on the edges.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 8 2018, 12:02 PM) *

Leave them in and use a wire wheel to clean them up. Just put some HD tape on the edges.

That works, too biggrin.gif

Brent, I may have spoken too soon on the two-piece part, at least for the originals. The replacements are two pieces, however. I replaced mine not too long ago and posted this:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=316524
Luke M
I'm working on the this as well. I used my hydraulic press to press out the old bushings. The factory bushing is one piece while the replacement bushings are two pieces. It's gonna pop that old bushing right out but be careful as the steel housing may jump up a little. Keep your fingers clear. Make sure you order and get the correct set. The 914 uses a different upper bushing vs the 911. I know this for a fact. The replacement set that I purchased does not fit the upper part of the bushing housing.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 8 2018, 11:12 AM) *

I'm working on the this as well. I used my hydraulic press to press out the old bushings. The factory bushing is one piece while the replacement bushings are two pieces. It's gonna pop that old bushing right out but be careful as the steel housing may jump up a little. Keep your fingers clear. Make sure you order and get the correct set. The 914 uses a different upper bushing vs the 911. I know this for a fact. The replacement set that I purchased does not fit the upper part of the bushing housing.

This has me confused. I'm sure the 914 and 911 bushings are the same as well as the strut top camber plate.

Edit - I took a look. 2 different bushings depending on the year.

911 341 018 01 - '65-'70 911, 912, 930, 914
911 341 018 00 - '71-'89 911, 912, 930, 914

@LukeM
bbrock
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 8 2018, 09:02 AM) *

I think this is the smart route. No sense in sacrificing good original bushings and it sounds like removing them may be a one-way trip.

Curious about those 2-piece replacement bushings. Do you glue them together on install?

Thanks for all the advice. I learned something today! beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 8 2018, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 8 2018, 09:02 AM) *

I think this is the smart route. No sense in sacrificing good original bushings and it sounds like removing them may be a one-way trip.

Curious about those 2-piece replacement bushings. Do you glue them together on install?

Thanks for all the advice. I learned something today! beerchug.gif

The two piece bushings just press together. Pretty easy. I'm not sure you can really tell a bushing is good by looking at it. Rubber degrades over time but at least if it needs replacement, it's not hard to do after the fact.
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 8 2018, 09:38 AM) *

This has me confused. I'm sure the 914 and 911 bushings are the same as well as the strut top camber plate.

@LukeM

Sorry if I've hijacked the op thread but figured this may help others as well.

I was working on my issue with Bruce when he was at Pelican Parts.
Bruce left there a few weeks ago and I have yet to hear back from anyone else.
My bushings where ordered for my 70 914-6 but they do not fit the housings.
From what Bruce told me the manufacture caught on when someone had the same issue as me. The issue has been resolved at the manufacture's end now.

The 914 needs an upper bushing with a tapered end while the 911 is like the pic I posted. I'm not sure if that carries throughout all 70-76 914's . I'm currently looking for some 911 housings to fit my current bushings. That's my fix for now.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 8 2018, 12:50 PM) *

@LukeM

From what Bruce told me the manufacture caught on when someone had the same issue as me. The issue has been resolved at the manufacture's end now.

The 914 needs an upper bushing with a tapered end while the 911 is like the pic I posted. I'm not sure if that carries throughout all 70-76 914's . I'm currently looking for some 911 housings to fit my current bushings. That's my fix for now.

It looks like the switch over year was 70-71. I know I have a bunch of the later ones, I'll have to pull the ones from my early 70 - 914 and see what the difference is.
Bruce @ 914 Rubber.com
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 8 2018, 11:50 AM) *

@LukeM

Hello Luke and Mark ,
This is Bruce.
There is a fitment issue with the 914 Rubber replacement. The top part is not contoured to the later, larger tab washer. There are two variations of the tab washers. The early flatter smaller type. Needs to be machined down. Can post more details later.

Regarding the original post, I agree,

dont fix them if they are not broke. They do not fail often. I would not try to remove the rubber and reinstall it. Many have torn that I have removed. The replacements are stiffer and will transmit more vibration through to the chassis.
Rob-O
2 post Newbie??? What can this guy possibly know??? I’d take his comments with a grain of salt!

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif w00t.gif rolleyes.gif

Just kidding. Good to see you hooked back into the World, Bruce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.