Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tonight's PSA is brought to you by Ima Dope (gearbox related)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
If you find yourself as I did yesterday with a new to you car that won't shift properly stop what you are doing and make sure there is oil in the gearbox.

I don't think I did any harm in the two around the block gingerly drive I did before it got recalcitrant, but lesson learned.

Thanks to Gabe in HB for the dope slap to stop what I was doing and check.
Tdskip
Update - I should of mentioned above that I bought the car from a member here who happens;

1) to be a nice guy
2) to be a good guy
3) a full on 914 guy

That community member has have zero responsibility since I didn't check it before I drove it around the block even though I knew it had sat for quite a while and may well have had a gearbox leak.

The car showed up exactly as described and I inspected it before hand as well.

In case 1-2-3 above still aren't clear - the Ima Dope refers to me and only me.

We now return you to you regularly scheduled programing.
GregAmy
Been there, done that...
DRPHIL914
you are not alone, I think this is fairly common thing, but it should be at the top of the to-do list for the newbe owner - I was a newbe owner , first time 914 owner and started driving the car as soon as I got it running , but noticed the shifting was not always on , sync from first to second and back down was not what it should be so I suspected some synco and dog teeth wear, but like a dummy I didn't even check the gear box oil until a couple months later. the thing was way down, I mean like I am not sure there was even a quart in there! Best thing I ever did was do the transmission rebuild clinic though with Dr. Evil. My box was actually in very good condition, just needing new seals and the dog teethe and syncros new at 1-2 and 3. very little wear and no galling on any of the gears. amazing for a 40 year old transmission!

oh, btw skip, your title, at first I though you were selling something laugh.gif it say brought to you "buy" rather than "by" lol. I wasn't sure what "buy ima dope" was
happy11.gif

Tdskip
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 5 2018, 08:27 AM) *

Been there, done that...

Good morning, I had another member ping me and say it happen to a friend of theirs too.

Hope this helps other new owners keep this in mind.

Have a good day.
Tdskip
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 5 2018, 08:54 AM) *

you are not alone, I think this is fairly common thing, but it should be at the top of the to-do list for the newbe owner - I was a newbe owner , first time 914 owner and started driving the car as soon as I got it running , but noticed the shifting was not always on , sync from first to second and back down was not what it should be so I suspected some synco and dog teeth wear, but like a dummy I didn't even check the gear box oil until a couple months later. the thing was way down, I mean like I am not sure there was even a quart in there! Best thing I ever did was do the transmission rebuild clinic though with Dr. Evil. My box was actually in very good condition, just needing new seals and the dog teethe and syncros new at 1-2 and 3. very little wear and no galling on any of the gears. amazing for a 40 year old transmission!

oh, btw skip, your title, at first I though you were selling something laugh.gif it say brought to you "buy" rather than "by" lol. I wasn't sure what "buy ima dope" was
happy11.gif

See Dr, I am a dope!

Fixed the title.
injunmort
before tearing into yours trans. make sure all the shifter bushings are intact and if a side shifter the cone screw is tight. I have never bought a 914 that had good bushings. I always replace them first.
Tdskip
QUOTE(injunmort @ Dec 5 2018, 11:42 AM) *

before tearing into yours trans. make sure all the shifter bushings are intact and if a side shifter the cone screw is tight. I have never bought a 914 that had good bushings. I always replace them first.

Thanks - still need to add oil and run it before doing anything. I have replacement coupler bits in hand for the exact reason you mention.

Thanks!
Dr Evil
And yet people still manage to ship full transmissions to me for rebuild rolleyes.gif Messy bastards!

Lube, bushings, mount check, proceed to drive smile.gif
Morph914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2018, 10:31 AM) *

And yet people still manage to ship full transmissions to me for rebuild rolleyes.gif Messy bastards!

Lube, bushings, mount check, proceed to drive smile.gif

What is the minimum I should do to my side shift trans while it is out? I'm in the middle of a full restoration and I did not drive the car before disassembly started. So I have no knowledge about this trans.
I would love to attend one of your classes if I get the chance. Are there any scheduled for the southeast?

Thank you,
JohnClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tdskip
John -I’d recommend starting a new thread and asking.

Larmo63
I think John should ask Ima Dope for advice.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 6 2018, 10:30 PM) *

I think John should ask Ima Dope for advice.

LOL.

Step one - check for oil
Step two - find someone smarter to ask for help
second wind
Seeing someone taking responsibility is so rare these days.....please someone take a picture of this thread to show/prove that character and integrity still exists.....
all the best,
gg
Tdskip
Good morning. Just to close this out I added oil yesterday, and it turns out the gearbox was about 1/2 full.

I adjusted the shift linkage iand between that and being properly topped off my transmission is quiet and the shift action is entirely workable.

Thanks to Gabe amd Monte for the help, and everyone here for the encouragement and shared experiences.

Motor on my friends...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.