Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 KARO ski rack help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SebaSLO
Dear 914world members,

I'm new to this community and looking for help regarding KARO ski rack, which was (according to bowlsby.net) original factory accessory.

I purchased this rack on ebay, but it lacks front mounting points/plates as is seen from the attached pictures.

Can anyone help me with detail photos of front mounting points with all the dimensions to re-fabricate this mounting points.

Before I start to restore the rack I need to solve this detail.
Any help would be appreciated.

Pics...
Ski rack...
IPB Image

Missing detail...front part of the rack...
IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks in advance.
ConeDodger
@Matty900

This has been at less partially reproduced by 914rubber.com. Perhaps Matt Whitesell can help. He has one on his car.
JeffBowlsby
These are also on the site:

Chi-town
I think I have the front mounting points on one of my parts cars, let me take a look.
SebaSLO
Thanks for all the answers. I have seen many pictures but would appreciate even more detailed pictures and dimensions if possible.

I'm also willing to buy this original part (for both sides front) if anyone has spare and will want to send this to Slovenia, Europe (of course I cover all postage costs).

Since I will give a car full factory spec restoration having an original part is even more appreciated.
914_teener
QUOTE(SebaSLO @ Dec 5 2018, 08:26 AM) *

Thanks for all the answers. I have seen many pictures but would appreciate even more detailed pictures and dimensions if possible.

I'm also willing to buy this original part (for both sides front) if anyone has spare and will want to send this to Slovenia, Europe (of course I cover all postage costs).

Since I will give a car full factory spec restoration having an original part is even more appreciated.

Maybe someone can reverse engineer it into CAD?

I have Solid Works and Revit but don't have the parts to measure.

Chi-town
IPB Image

Are these the front mounts?
jim_hoyland
Check these racks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGKj-erUH8
Larmo63
You are missing the screw-down feet that actually firm up the clamping action of the front rack. Those "L" brackets pictured above are what goes into the A pillar slots, but the steel/rubber coated/sleeved feet are what you need.

The picture Bowlsby posted has a pretty good shot of what you are after.

Kudos that you at least have what you have. My racks are installed on my car in the garage, I might be able to take more photos of them for you tomorrow.
SebaSLO
Yes, my rack has the L-brackets like posted by @Chi-town .

Detail on @JeffBowlsby picture is great, but to recreate this part I would need different angle photos and dimensions.

@Larmo63 : Thanks, I'll be very happy if you can take some pictures.

Larmo63
The feet are approximately 50mm long x 15mm wide.

Nothing fancy.

You really just need two pieces of flat stock, slightly rounded on the ends, fitted to the screw down parts.

You could then Plasti-Dip them in grey?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.