Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing "Bracket for Hinge Pillar"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
I need to replace the right side Bracket for Hinge Pillar (914 501 030 10)

IPB Image

It would be much easier if I could remove the right side Lateral Grill (914 504 012 10)

IPB Image

How is it fastened in?

Thanks!
Larmo63
It has little pins, usually speed nuts on them.
rgalla9146
Is your engine in or out ? It is much easier to do both jobs with the engine out. sad.gif
Make sure you get that hinge base positioned accurately.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 5 2018, 07:02 PM) *

Is your engine in or out ? It is much easier to do both jobs with the engine out. sad.gif

I agree much easier with the engine out. You would have luck on your side to be able to get it into position and weld it upside down and backwards. I am not that lucky.
DickSteinkamp
Thanks! I think I can do it with the engine in if I remove that lateral grill. If it still looks too tough, I'll pull the engine. I did put a V8 in this one so there is some room up the side of the engine for access to it.

I assume the little speed nuts turn off like a nut...or do they push on/pull off?

Thanks again.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is easy if you know how to weld and have mcmark's tool. We make the parts and have the precise instructions and placement template in the 914 "tech tips 700" book

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Dec 5 2018, 05:26 PM) *

I need to replace the right side Bracket for Hinge Pillar (914 501 030 10)

IPB Image

It would be much easier if I could remove the right side Lateral Grill (914 504 012 10)

IPB Image

How is it fastened in?

Thanks!

DickSteinkamp
Thanks, George. I did get the bracket from you. I should have ordered the tech tips at the same time. sad.gif
Costa05
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 5 2018, 09:02 PM) *

agree.gif
FWIW the way I addressed correct position was to place the trink lid exactly where you want it (observing body line gaps and aligment to rear of car ), attach hinges, shoulder bolt, brackets on engine bay side, then climb inside engine bay and tack weld the two brackets to the body. Remove it all and finish welding in the brackets. Worked pretty well for me.
bbrock
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Dec 6 2018, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 5 2018, 09:02 PM) *

agree.gif
FWIW the way I addressed correct position was to place the trink lid exactly where you want it (observing body line gaps and aligment to rear of car ), attach hinges, shoulder bolt, brackets on engine bay side, then climb inside engine bay and tack weld the two brackets to the body. Remove it all and finish welding in the brackets. Worked pretty well for me.

agree.gif +1 That's exactly what I did even with the Tech Tips diagram and instructions in hand.

BTW, those speed nuts are not a treat to remove. Best way I found was to squeeze them with pliers until they bend which opens the hole around the post so they slide off. Also not a task I'd want to do with the engine in.

Good luck! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.