Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine tin not fitting close to the engine bay seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
There is a gap between the front engine bay seal and the engine tin. The engine bay seal is new. Is this gap o.k.? Do I have to do something to make it fit better?Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Buck
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the power plant will adjust a bit forward back and then with a new seal as well everything will fit just fine

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 11 2018, 12:19 PM) *

There is a gap between the front engine bay seal and the engine tin. The engine bay seal is new. Is this gap o.k.? Do I have to do something to make it fit better?Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Buck
DRPHIL914
is it just in the front? maybe new seals like George says but yes there is some gap, you may need to just pull that seal back under the tin edge. I would get new seals if that isold and lost its pliability.
BeatNavy
I been running the last couple of years with a similar situation. I also had a bit of a gap on one side. You can use hog pliers / clips to try to bring the seal together at the corners if adjusting the engine back and forth doesn't help (I could never really get it to fit that well).

All said and done, though, I've never had issues with head temps.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm looking on my phone, but that seal does not look right.
rgalla9146
Have you had any reason to remove your outer front engine mounts ?
The seals are 'J' shaped so the can reach under and be retained by the vertical
flange of the engine tin.
rhodyguy
Did you replace all 4 of the seals? You have to work the seal 'hook' on to the tin edge.
IronHillRestorations
The factory front and side seals are miter cut vertically on a 45* at the front, and clipped at those corners in bottom with a hog ring. The rear (twin flap) seal overlaps the side seals on each side, and has the outer flap stapled to the side seal where it overlaps.

The front and side seals should hook over the lip of the engine metal, and the rear should have one flap on each side of the rear engine metal. If the front or sides are too long it can buckle in the middle.

They also put a piece of tar or butyl caulk in the front corners of the engine shelves
Larmo63
Are you sure you don't have the seal installed upside down?

It doesn't look right to me either. idea.gif
porschetub
No that seems to be wrong,you should have to pull the top lip of the rubber over the tin,however I have a six but the principle is the same for a good seal.
You are using the correct seal for that area ?.
ndfrigi
for me I think the lip of the rubber seal is what I circled with red lines and it just need to snap it to the engine tin. It also seems that the engine was a little further (more gaps) back when it was installed or did you check if your engine mount bar is straight? I saw 2 mount bar that are bent towards the rear that makes a wider gap in that spot.

Click to view attachment
Rob-O
I’m with Curt and Larmo, something looks off to me as well. Could just be the angle the picture was taken.

I’d also strongly suggest doing something where the wire bundle is coming through the engine shelf. There is a piece of rubber there (we call it a snorkel) that runs from the engine shelf down to the firewall. As it is now I’d be concerned that eventually the wires will chafe against that metal shelf.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.