Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Marker Light Comparison
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Thought I would share some picture closeup of the difference of the two lights.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very good. Our Japanese limited edition has the different fluting, and actually flashes when the turn signal is engaged. It also has a buzzer that goes off if one exceeds 100 KM

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 29 2018, 09:02 AM) *

TravisNeff
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 29 2018, 10:10 AM) *

very good. Our Japanese limited edition has the different fluting, and actually flashes when the turn signal is engaged. It also has a buzzer that goes off if one exceeds 100 KM

Interesting! You never really think about these things.
David Billo
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 29 2018, 12:10 PM) *

...Our Japanese limited edition ...also has a buzzer that goes off if one exceeds 100 KM.

OMG! What are the speed limits in Japan?
raynekat
Wish someone would repop those Japanese lens.
That fluting is really cool looking.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we of course have the USA markers we make, over a thousand of them, but would take another thousand of each side to do the Japanese type, and would never have the sales to justify

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 29 2018, 11:04 AM) *

Dave_Darling
If the right plastics can be fused, sounds like something for 3D printing...

--DD
sixnotfour
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 29 2018, 11:04 AM) *

agree.gif

i bet there is a stash ...
914Sixer
Never seen a stash of them since they were only used in two markets.
72914S
Never cared for those soda can bottoms. Mine where replaced with Side lights from `68 Road Runner !
raynekat
Looks like I just purchased one on Ebay for the right side of the car.
Now I just need to find one for the left side of the car. wink.gif
My wife has a friend in Japan....might try there 1st.
Or a vacation to Sweden to look for car parts?
pete000
I like the ones that came on the German spec cars best, they are also the lightest ! lol-2.gif
JeffBowlsby
The eminent Dr Johnson indicates the fluted sidemarker lenses were for Italy, Denmark and Japan markets. Not Sweden.
914Sixer
Edited title to correct information.
Kaeferfreund
Jeff, I agree.

According to the Porsche spare parts catalogue there are just Denmark and Italy mentioned. Perhaps you can replace "Denmark" by Scandinavia as some cars for that region were traded within Scandinavia.
Japan is not listed in particular. So, it may be a question of imported cars (from which side of the world the cars found it's way to Japan). I also saw some with US side markers or without (RoW version) there.

For all the NOS hunters:

914.631.405.00 (L) and 914.631.408.00 ( R ) are the Porsche part numbers for your (US) version.

The Italy/Denmark numbers were:
914.631.409.00 (L) and 914.631.406.00 ( R )

Here we have an example of the Italy version (see the white lenses in the fender, too)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't forget the very very rare Italian clear side marker lens:

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Jan 5 2019, 06:32 AM) *

Jeff, I agree.

According to the Porsche spare parts catalogue there are just Denmark and Italy mentioned. Perhaps you can replace "Denmark" by Scandinavia as some cars for that region were traded within Scandinavia.
Japan is not listed in particular. So, it may be a question of imported cars (from which side of the world the cars found it's way to Japan). I also saw some with US side markers or without (RoW version) there.

For all the NOS hunters:

914.631.405.00 (L) and 914.631.408.00 ( R ) are the Porsche part numbers for your (US) version.

The Italy/Denmark numbers were:
914.631.409.00 (L) and 914.631.406.00 ( R )

Here we have an example of the Italy version (see the white lenses in the fender, too)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
raynekat
Still looking to buy a left side "Euro" side marker lens.
Anyone have any ideas? Where or how....
Thanks
SteveL
QUOTE(David Billo @ Dec 29 2018, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 29 2018, 12:10 PM) *

...Our Japanese limited edition ...also has a buzzer that goes off if one exceeds 100 KM.

OMG! What are the speed limits in Japan?

If I had to guess, I would say the speed limit is 100 kmh
shades.gif
7TPorsh
To me the USA lense looks like a reflector too. Not sure what that actually means tho.
raynekat
Looks like this is the config of most of the Italian 914's.

Clear front turn signals with the special vertically fluted amber side markers.

A lot of the 914's I googled for sale in Italy look just like this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Interesting detail that these "Euro" lenses have that the US versions don't....is the small arrow that I guess points to the front of the car.
Haven't seen the left side yet to confirm.
But a lot of the lettering is very different from the US lens.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 29 2018, 10:04 AM) *

I’d do it if I could get samples, and get 100 sets sold at $38 a set.

Just not sure there’s enough interest

Mark
Literati914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 8 2019, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 29 2018, 10:04 AM) *

I’d do it if I could get samples, and get 100 sets sold at $38 a set.

Just not sure there’s enough interest

Mark

Do it Mark, you only need 99 more! Im in. cheer.gif
raynekat
They are way better looking than the US version (just my opinion), but they would have to be the "correct" color to me. These are much redder or more tangerine than the US orange ones.
rgolia
I am in. Only 98 to go
raynekat
I'd take a set as well. Currently trying to locate a set of these as examples.
rgolia
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 8 2019, 09:16 PM) *

They are way better looking than the US version (just my opinion), but they would have to be the "correct" color to me. These are much redder or more tangerine than the US orange ones.

agree.gif
mbseto
Saw an interesting set of side markers the other day (not on a porsche). They were in the rim of the wheel opening, pointed rearwards. So you could see them as you were passing the car. Seemed like a really nice compromise between having side markers and not interrupting the fender.
raynekat
Turns out these "Euro" side marker lenses are as rare as hens teeth.
Even in Italy, the major market where these were used, these lenses are very hard to find in either NOS or 2nd hand condition per the Porsche 914 Club Italia.
914Sixer
If you have the part number and a good parts man at a Porsche dealer, there might be some in Germany.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 13 2019, 05:40 PM) *

If you have the part number and a good parts man at a Porsche dealer, there might be some in Germany.

Sorry Mark, definitely no chance. If you ask an official Porsche dealer for 914 parts you sometimes need strong nerves. Normally you will only get a short reply "sorry, no longer available".

If you ask your local VeeDub dealer they will be more helpful, but unfortunately all these parts are in the responsibility of Porsche.

Neither the US side marker nor the European version is available any longer.
76-914
Is this one? I checked because this '73 is one that was originally slated for European delivery but diverted here. What stands out to me is it doesn't have the small rectangular "window" for lack of a better term.

Click to view attachment

All other's in my stash have this window. I'll post 2 pics of these. They show up better with flash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Yes, that is one of the elusive "Italian" side marker lens.
It's got the E1 in the circle with the arrow right below pointing to the front of the car.

And yes they don't have the "box" that the US lenses have.
One of the ways it looks better IMO.

Seems like there are a few of these R side lenses hanging around.
Still looking for a L hand side at this time.
Rob-O
I’d be in for a set. But I agree the color needs to be correct. Lots of guys (me included) have gone the euro lens route. These seem like they match the front turn signals much better.
Matteo

Due to the thikness of the lens, that on one side is shorter, many and many cars, have the lens assembled in wrong way evilgrin.gif
You think that the shorter part is in front in order to be more aerodynamic headbang.gif
so the arrow help to the right assembly biggrin.gif
Matteo
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 8 2019, 06:04 PM) *

Looks like this is the config of most of the Italian 914's.

Clear front turn signals with the special vertically fluted amber side markers.

A lot of the 914's I googled for sale in Italy look just like this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

YOURE RIGHT , 99% of the italian car are with this config….
Valy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 29 2018, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 29 2018, 09:02 AM) *

@dr914@autoatlanta.com can you please share the electrical wiring of the Japanese side markers?
I want to make mine flush and I obviously can reroute the signal wire to the side markers but I was wandering if there is a Porsche simple standard mod for this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.