Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ivory 1970 914/6 Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
gms
This will be the official build thread for this light ivory 1970 914/6.
after extensive paint job
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
@GaroldShaffer delivered this gem for the owner late last month, I have a bunch of sorting to do!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
You're welcome. biggrin.gif Like a life size jig saw puzzle. smash.gif
sixnotfour
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif wub.gif chowtime.gif popcorn[1].gif
ValcoOscar
Can't wait to hear all about this build...

popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif

You care to share VIN to start idea.gif

Oscar
johnhora
Garold...I see you were kind enough to also supply Glen with a snow shovel to scoop up the parts biggrin.gif
It will be fun to watch the build..thumb3d.gif
Cairo94507
Excellent- I look forward to watching this one come together. beerchug.gif
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif
rgalla9146
Light Ivory is the new black !
defianty
Fantastic, looking forward to updates.
IronHillRestorations
Build??? That car will probably get mothballed in Stazak's secret basement, which is kinda like Silence of the Lambs, but only with rare 914-6 parts
Stoddy
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 15 2019, 09:06 PM) *

This will be the official build thread for this light ivory 1970 914/6.

I've just started stripping mine, so could you wait a few months please? Then I can just copy and paste what you do when you re build!? beerchug.gif

Good luck with it, I'll be taking notes!

Regards,

Stoddy popcorn[1].gif
Targa70
For the record, when the car left Williamsburg, VA the factory engine was in there somewhere. Given the IL winters @GaroldShaffer got a good trade for those snow shovels.

I picked this car up in 2003 from the original owner out of San Diego and drove it for probably 2 years before discovering cancer. Body work and paint finished up in 2015 after almost a decade in the shop and I put it in storage while I was in Africa. The stock engine was built by Wayne Baker, long ago, to be a 2.5 with an oil cooler in the rear fender. Although I stripped it down and had every intention of assembling it myself, and still work on parts of it today, other animate objects are wanton of me as well.

To say that I am happy to have Glen at the helm of this assembly is an understatement. Glen was at the top of my list to ask who he would suggest do my car. And as luck would have it I called someone else first and they said "Well, Glen of course".

Thank you to the World, whose members I have followed and grown to know as well as anyone can via digital media. In learning about cars I have also learned about people and about persons. I do not subscribe or visit any other 914 sites, or any social media site for that matter, but I agree with the folks on here that praise the World for the generosity of its members.

thanks,
Bill

rgalla9146
Hello Bill
Welcome to the world of an empty chassis build !
Everyone's time frame is personal. Some are fast, many are slower.
The dream and the time is what keeps us vibrant and enthusiastic.
You're in good hands.....Glenn is one of the originals from way back and
knows our cars thoroughly.
Enjoy the process.
Rory
......Light Ivory wub.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Targa70 @ Jan 16 2019, 11:45 PM) *

For the record, when the car left Williamsburg, VA the factory engine was in there somewhere. Given the IL winters @GaroldShaffer got a good trade for those snow shovels.

I picked this car up in 2003 from the original owner out of San Diego and drove it for probably 2 years before discovering cancer. Body work and paint finished up in 2015 after almost a decade in the shop and I put it in storage while I was in Africa. The stock engine was built by Wayne Baker, long ago, to be a 2.5 with an oil cooler in the rear fender. Although I stripped it down and had every intention of assembling it myself, and still work on parts of it today, other animate objects are wanton of me as well.

To say that I am happy to have Glen at the helm of this assembly is an understatement. Glen was at the top of my list to ask who he would suggest do my car. And as luck would have it I called someone else first and they said "Well, Glen of course".

Thank you to the World, whose members I have followed and grown to know as well as anyone can via digital media. In learning about cars I have also learned about people and about persons. I do not subscribe or visit any other 914 sites, or any social media site for that matter, but I agree with the folks on here that praise the World for the generosity of its members.

thanks,
Bill

laugh.gif Yep, got a great deal on the snow shovels. This is going to be a fun build to watch. The pick up and delivery to Glenn was adventure for sure between, two flat tires on the trailer during the trip and ever so lovely traffic mess in Washington. wacko.gif

Your car is in good hands. smilie_pokal.gif
GeorgeRud
Glenn, Brad, and Garold are great resources for those of us cursed to live in the midwest snow belt, where all 914s are sleeping for those long winter nights.
gms
All the parts have been sorted, time to prepare for the main body wiring harness installation.

I use 8mm heat shrink on the wire holder tabs...makes for a snug fit

Click to view attachment
second wind
Dear GMS.....all the best to you!!! You are living my dream and I would bet other's dreams as well. Thank you for your post! Trying to hold back on the exclamation marks but building a 6 from ground up with awesome color to boot....sounds really fun___.
Enjoy your experience and thank you for sharing it with us ....
gg

Targa70
I so look forward to seeing that Kroon harness make it back in the car.
rick 918-S
Wow! drooley.gif Another Ivory 6 surfaces. aktion035.gif
gms
As Bill mentioned he has a Kroon wire harness. I place the Kroon harness next to my NOS factory harness and the only difference that really stood out was the wrap of the cloth tape on the Kroon was tighter.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

this is just a closeup of the dash/cabin part of the Kroon harness
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Hmmm. I'm thinking I need to rewire my car. Sounds like quite an undertaking however.
altitude411
Did the Kroon harness come with a snorkel or is that the 914Rubber product? It looks longer than the NOS.

Thank you for this thread. Fantastic, really looking forward to watching this car come together.
Targa70
Yes. Unbeknownst to me, the harness would come with the snorkel on it. And so I know have a new or NOS one floating around either here or in IL. story of my life. smile.gif
gms
I took some pix of the process getting the wiring harness in

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
pulled thru the tunnel, like a snake swallowing a mouse

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
AHudson
Congratulations on the purchase, decision to restore/build, and your grateful kudos to World contributors. Sounds like a great mission all around!

The car is going to be fantastic. Color, current condition, and choice of builder team will make it fun and educational to watch also. Thanks for sharing.

As a newish 914-6 owner (bought mine in July '18) I'm 'reclaiming' an older but quite thorough restoration. It went through what you are now going through - and went on to win Parade class 2 years in a row - and I can tell that now, 15 years or so later, the 'old' restoration still shows its integrity, level of care, and ease of my current job. So hats off to you for the job you're doing now and for the future.

Looking forward to following along!
gms
@Targa70 dropped off some parts and visited his car a couple weeks ago.
I put the euro fogs on and they look great!
we are running a little slow right now as I try and get hardware plated and acquire missing parts.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
headlight motor
Click to view attachment
gms
The steering wheel with new leather cover
and Cerakoted Butterfly
Click to view attachment
gms
some NOS headlight lift linkage brushes
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 27 2019, 08:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment

have anymore ??
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 27 2019, 10:12 PM) *

Click to view attachment

have anymore ??

I wish I had some for myself
Targa70
Looking good Glenn. Your craftsmanship is top notch and thanks for the updates.
Luke M
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 27 2019, 08:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

have anymore ??

I thought 914rubber makes these brushes now?
I need a set for my 6 as well.

Glenn, on the Kroon wire harness did you notice if the wire diameter was different then the factory ? I'm sending a harness off to Kroon to have redone for my 6.
In emailing with Gerard, he mentioned only difference would be in some connectors.
Did you happen to notice any difference ?

Keep up the updates...
gms
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 28 2019, 10:36 AM) *

I did not notice them on the website, anyone see them?

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 28 2019, 10:36 AM) *

Glenn, on the Kroon wire harness did you notice if the wire diameter was different then the factory ? I'm sending a harness off to Kroon to have redone for my 6.
In emailing with Gerard, he mentioned only difference would be in some connectors.

Keep up the updates...

I will check
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we up to several years ago had literally hundreds, sold them all!

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 28 2019, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Mar 27 2019, 08:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

have anymore ??

Keep up the updates...

gms
Unpacked the fresh air/vent/heating parts, they were beautifully restored in this thread
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
altitude411
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 29 2019, 12:02 PM) *

I did not notice them on the website, anyone see them?

Glenn, 914Rubber shows them on the early headlight rebuild kit but I don't see them sold separately. confused24.gif

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/e...ght-rebuild-kit

@Mikey914
Mikey914
We did sell as a kit but Yes I'm sure we can sell alone. Also we are about to do a revisit on the surrounds as a Group Buy. They were supposed to be available alone for much less.
mepstein
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 27 2019, 10:42 PM) *

The steering wheel with new leather cover
and Cerakoted Butterfly
Click to view attachment

Glenn - Who did the new leather? Looks excellent.
@gms
Targa70
That is a Dallas Custom job on the rim. I cerakoted the butterfly and remounted the rubber pad.
mepstein
QUOTE(Targa70 @ Mar 30 2019, 09:54 AM) *

That is a Dallas Custom job on the rim. I cerakoted the butterfly and remounted the rubber pad.

That’s who I use for thick grip wheels. Very happy with their work. They did a good job making it look stock.
Targa70
It has been a few weeks since an update, but Glen has been plugging away. Went with the Fat Mat instead of trying to put the factory soundproofing in. in 2019 a man can ignore the benefit of modern technology only so long. Click to view attachment
Targa70
Here is the back end, and a snap of the targa mounting plastic and cups.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Targa70
I feel like when the sail trip vinyl goes on, it is a big deal. Here is a series of Glen's work, from drilling the trim holes to laying out the top and side pieces. Along with the gratuitous photo of the trim still in its package. I am really liking the way @gms works and I hope you enjoy the build as much as I do. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=699
202]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=699207]Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Really changes the look of the car. In my little pea brain, a 914 needs the black vinyl to look proper. Yeah, yeah, I know- a lot of 914's came from the factory w/o the vinyl. beerchug.gif
gms
Sorry I have not posted as much as I would like to. Here is the interior that Bill had done...very well done!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
Artsy pic
Click to view attachment
gms
The very well built Tangerine Racing stainless steel fuel lines ( @ChrisFoley ) will be used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.