Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 Bluetooth Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
I'm about ready to put the new clutch in and mate the transmission up to the motor. I've replaced the hexbar linkage with the Tangerine racing cable set up and I now want to add the 123 Bluetooth distributor.

I know that we had a GB last year or so and I wanted to get everyone's opinion before I spend the money.

I would also like to know which model number was purchased. I sent an email to them asking which one was the correct version for the motor but, I don't believe I ever received a response. (in all fairness, it might have gone into the junk folder and been arbitrarily deleted)

Any thoughts, wisdom, sage advice and/or part number would be awesome.

Thanks,

Mike
StratPlayer
IMHO the best dizzy you can buy for your car. When I bought mine they didnt have the bluetooth model. I bought the 123 that was set up for the D jet EFI it elliminated the trigger points. Very pleased with this dizzy.
914_teener
I have the switched version for D-jet since that is what I have in the car.

Well worth the money. No issues.

I can't speak for the BT version but others may chime in.

I set up the GB last year. I can't remember his name, but he is responsive.

Rob
Millerwelds
I have the DJet non BT model. Love it. Plug and play. Set it and forget it.
Jazzy
I have the non-BT version in my stock 1.7 with FI. Engine runs much better now, especially I noticed an increase in torque at low rpm. Highly recommended upgrade!
Porschef
Not to hijack but I had planned on starting a thread asking the same question, like Mike I also did not get in on the group buy last year dry.gif

Mike, does your ‘75 have a 1.8 or a 2.0.? Good choice on the linkage. beer.gif

I’d be curious to hear from anyone running the BT unit with Ljet, would have been my choice.

Thanks
IronHillRestorations
Ditch the hex (hexed) bar and get a CSP center pull bellcrank linkage, it's far better.
mmichalik
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 10 2019, 05:48 AM) *

Not to hijack but I had planned on starting a thread asking the same question, like Mike I also did not get in on the group buy last year dry.gif

Mike, does your ‘75 have a 1.8 or a 2.0.? Good choice on the linkage. beer.gif

I’d be curious to hear from anyone running the BT unit with Ljet, would have been my choice.

Thanks

The car itself is a 2.0 but, I lost the matching numbers engine just prior to buying it so, I had a big bore 1.8 built, in the end it's a 1910, with a mild cam in it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Tangerine Racing throttle linkage so, I'm excited about that as well.
mobymutt
I want to buy one this year too. Is anybody interested in working another group buy?
Porschef
I might be, it’ seems to be a nice improvement

Hopefully others will chime in

Mike, what injection system are you using
yellowporky
I was getting ready to buy a d jet unit. so yes to a group buy
mmichalik
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 10 2019, 09:56 AM) *

I'm running dual 40's on mine.
mobymutt
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Feb 10 2019, 01:27 PM) *

I pm'ed Ed from 123 ignition USA, from last year's thread, about another group buy. I'll let you know if I get a response.
Porschef
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Feb 10 2019, 04:16 PM) *

Duh, crossbar and Chris’ system... how many more clues do I need dry.gif

Apologies for my display of ignorance blink.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Feb 10 2019, 06:22 PM) *

I pm'ed Ed from 123 ignition USA, from last year's thread, about another group buy. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Thank you
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 10 2019, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Feb 10 2019, 06:22 PM) *

Thank you

I'm in if he does.
DRPHIL914
ao far since putting mine in i have driven from SC to Atlanta and back, and about 500 more miles. 10 years ive driven this car , 12,000 miles and its never ran better. i also had my throttle body rebuilt by one of our members, so with the 123, new tps, TB, etc idle is prefect, acceleration is strong and steady. i didnt drive my 914 when new(i would havw been 10 years old) but i bet it never ran better.
fyi my car is 75, d-jet, 150k miles

id say get a 123, and have the throttle body re-done.

Good luck
mmichalik
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 10 2019, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Feb 10 2019, 04:16 PM) *

Duh, crossbar and Chris’ system... how many more clues do I need dry.gif

Apologies for my display of ignorance blink.gif

No worries at all. smile.gif I do it all the time.
mmichalik
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Feb 10 2019, 03:22 PM) *

Awesome, thanks!
pete000
Love it so easy to set up. Stays rock solid steady. Car came alive when I installed it.
mobymutt
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Feb 11 2019, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Feb 10 2019, 03:22 PM) *

Awesome, thanks!

Ok, new group buy has been set up. I'll start a new thread for it.
Porschef

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif cheer.gif
Olympic 914
I suppose that the djet version with connections for trigger points somehow removes the possibility of having it be programable either through Bluetooth or a PC.

That said I would have liked to be able to program the curves with my djet version.

Running a different cam than stock (Raby 9590) and jake recommends a starting advance of 16 BTDC and full advance of 30-32.

all of the djet compatible 123 ignition dizzys have around 22 degress advance on the various programs installed instead of the 14-16 deg advance that would be optimal for this cam.

although my old dizzy was no better, I could have had the curves altered.
yellowporky
That is a good point. Make sure your cam works with the 123 before buying. Thanks for the heads up. I plan on selecting a cam that is not stock for my D-jet.
Maury4

I'm running stock 1.8 with 40 webers and bluetooth 123. I love it. Easy set up, starts quick and runs beautiful. Running 7 degrees to 28 degres. Waitingfor parts to build my Type 4 Store 2270.
[/quote]
Freezin 914
Potentially interested in purchase. Please excuse my ignorance, curious of the differences between the 123 unit vs stock with Petronix vs a aftermarket unit from AA? I am no mechanic, or engine guy. Curious to learn. As of now, my current driver is stock 1.8 injected. One project is planned to get a 2056 with Microsquirt. And the last project is planned to potentially to have 2.0 with Weber 40’s. Again please excuse my ignorance.. trying to become more educated with all aspects of these cars...thank you.
mobymutt
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 12 2019, 07:30 PM) *

Potentially interested in purchase. Please excuse my ignorance, curious of the differences between the 123 unit vs stock with Petronix vs a aftermarket unit from AA? I am no mechanic, or engine guy. Curious to learn. As of now, my current driver is stock 1.8 injected. One project is planned to get a 2056 with Microsquirt. And the last project is planned to potentially to have 2.0 with Weber 40’s. Again please excuse my ignorance.. trying to become more educated with all aspects of these cars...thank you.

I can't comment on the Petronix, but vs a stock or aftermarket distributor, the big advantages to 123 for me are:
-fully programmable timing via Bluetooth (on the version I'm getting anyway). Not exactly sure how useful it will be, but it's definitely cool!
-no setting of dwell
-no wear

Parts for my old distributor are almost unavailable, so I think going with the 123 makes the most sense for me. I'm running dual weber 40's.
914_teener
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 12 2019, 06:52 AM) *

I suppose that the djet version with connections for trigger points somehow removes the possibility of having it be programable either through Bluetooth or a PC.

That said I would have liked to be able to program the curves with my djet version.

Running a different cam than stock (Raby 9590) and jake recommends a starting advance of 16 BTDC and full advance of 30-32.

all of the djet compatible 123 ignition dizzys have around 22 degress advance on the various programs installed instead of the 14-16 deg advance that would be optimal for this cam.

Running a different cam than stock (Raby 9590) and jake recommends a starting advance of 16 BTDC and full advance of 30-

At what rpm?
jim_hoyland
Curious. What might be a weakness in the 1-2-3 ? Every distributer I’ve used had a weak point...
Currently i’m Running the Mallory Unilite that I acquired from Tangerine Racing years ago. I improved performance and has only two issues.
1. The 4 cyclinder model is no longer made and parts are NLA
2. The optical sensor is extreamly sensitive to any voltage spike and always results in a complete shutdown until the optical sensor is replaced.

I’m thinking of replacing the Mallory Unilite with a 1-2-3 on my 1975 L-Jet
Now sure which model; I have no Vac port on the new Vanagon TB
Any suggestions will be appreciated plus the Mallory May need s new home

jim_hoyland
Oops, a dupe.....
Olympic 914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 12 2019, 08:42 PM) *

Running a different cam than stock (Raby 9590) and jake recommends a starting advance of 16 BTDC and full advance of 30-

At what rpm?

Rpm not stated.

Here > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...255127&st=0
914_teener
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 13 2019, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 12 2019, 08:42 PM) *

At what rpm?

Rpm not stated.

Here > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...255127&st=0

1,000 RPM I read.

From there it is linear.

That cam is a stock EFI cam if I remember.

Edit:

Modified by Jake for stock EFI systems.

So static set at near 14-16* at 1k RPM. What I recall Geoff saying is that this cam with a modified MPS kicks ass. Just idles higher than stock.
914_teener
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 13 2019, 12:41 PM) *

Curious. What might be a weakness in the 1-2-3 ? Every distributer I’ve used had a weak point...
Currently i’m Running the Mallory Unilite that I acquired from Tangerine Racing years ago. I improved performance and has only two issues.
1. The 4 cyclinder model is no longer made and parts are NLA
2. The optical sensor is extreamly sensitive to any voltage spike and always results in a complete shutdown until the optical sensor is replaced.

I’m thinking of replacing the Mallory Unilite with a 1-2-3 on my 1975 L-Jet
Now sure which model; I have no Vac port on the new Vanagon TB
Any suggestions will be appreciated plus the Mallory May need s new home

Jim...I'd pull the trigger with this.
krazykonrad
As someone in the market for a new distributor, how does the 123 compare to stock, mallory, msd, etc? I am using the stock d-jet, so I'll need something with the trigger points.

Thanks,
Konrad
914_teener
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Feb 14 2019, 10:31 AM) *

As someone in the market for a new distributor, how does the 123 compare to stock, mallory, msd, etc? I am using the stock d-jet, so I'll need something with the trigger points.

Thanks,
Konrad

The 123 doesn't need trigger points. They have a plug and play solution for D-jet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.