Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sealant on trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm putting the metal trim on my car (A and B pillars). I noticed it has some sort of black caulk on it. What is this and do I need to scrape it off and re-do it? Can I just install the trim without it?

Here's a picture of the A pillar on the driver's side.
Click to view attachment
jcd914
The "trim" on the A & B pillars holds the door/window seals.
If the trim is not sealed to the body then water has a way in.

How much water can get in through the unsealed space there?
I don't know but I plan to reseal mine when they go back on.

3M makes a product called "Strip-Caulk" which I will probably use but I have also considered thin strips of butyl tape since I think I have extra butyl.

Jim
Olympic 914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 10 2019, 03:58 PM) *

The "trim" on the A & B pillars holds the door/window seals.
If the trim is not sealed to the body then water has a way in.

3M makes a product called "Strip-Caulk" which I will probably use but I have also considered thin strips of butyl tape since I think I have extra butyl.

Jim

agree.gif

Also used the butyl, pulled it thin. couple strips.
914 RZ-1
I had a feeling that's what it was for. Would painter's caulk work? The 3M product has 60 12" strips, way more than I need.

What about silicone caulk?
mb911
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 10 2019, 03:17 PM) *

I had a feeling that's what it was for. Would painter's caulk work? The 3M product has 60 12" strips, way more than I need.

What about silicone caulk?

Silicone=no semi corrosive
mepstein
They sell the correct stuff at flaps.
914 RZ-1
So no on the silicone. Got it. What about acrylic caulk? I have a tube I could use. Just asking.

I'll look for the correct stuff at the local FLAPS in the meantime.
mepstein
[quote name='914 RZ-1' date='Feb 11 2019, 10:45 PM' post='2688397']
So no on the silicone. Got it. What about acrylic caulk? I have a tube I could use. Just asking. No. poke.gif smile.gif

I'll look for the correct stuff at the local FLAPS in the meantime. yes. smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif

bbrock
I think 3M weatherstrip adhesive is what you are looking for.
jcd914
Since the metal trim pieces are all screwed to the body there is no need for an adhesive, just something to seal the trim to the body.

Jim
bbrock
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 12 2019, 12:32 AM) *

Since the metal trim pieces are all screwed to the body there is no need for an adhesive, just something to seal the trim to the body.

Jim

Weatherstrip adhesive forms a seal that sets up tacky and the parts can be fairly easily peeled apart later. It seem pretty similar to the original stuff used in that application to me, but so does butyl caulk so I think either would work well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.