Any advice or things to look for when
Buying .

Also considering a ford transit connect but
Those are auto only. Now considering a honda element
Since it look like i will have to settle for auto trans
Chi-town
Front suspension is known for issues if I remember correctly
JOEPROPER
Element is a good choice. Easy to remove seats, rubberized floor covering and plenty of room. I've worked on a few and don't recall any problems besides the regular stuff.
ValcoOscar
I had one for years..very spacious and economical. Only a four seater though.

I had SC version...great parts/pet hauler, easy to clean.

Oscar
mepstein
I know two guys that work for honda who have them. They are pleased with their cars.
abes914
Nothing to add about Honda Element other than I love Honda’s.
My neighbor’s dog walker uses this

Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(abes914 @ Apr 19 2019, 11:34 AM) *

Nothing to add about Honda Element other than I love Honda’s.
My neighbor’s dog walker uses this

Click to view attachment

Thats way cooler then a element
And im sure the dogs like it more for the
Aircooled motor noises wub.gif

This is currently the only 5speed element on sale .
Price is ok but 199k miles . not good

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d...6863990903.html
MarkV
The ex-wife had one and I was happy to see it go. It used to eat batteries and starters. The battery is undersized and so is the starter. You have to remove the intake to get to the starter. It also had a problem with the goofy security ignition key system that had to be replaced leaving it with separate keys for the door and the ignition. It was an automatic so maybe the standard is better.
thelogo
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 19 2019, 03:07 PM) *

The ex-wife had one and I was happy to see it go. It used to eat batteries and starters. The battery is undersized and so is the starter. You have to remove the intake to get to the starter. It also had a problem with the goofy security ignition key system that had to be replaced leaving it with separate keys for the door and the ignition. It was an automatic so maybe the standard is better.

Starter under the intake and it eats starters .
That sounds like it could get expensive w00t.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 19 2019, 07:19 AM) *

The ford ranger regular cab is getting
A bit cramped. Looking to upgrade to something
That i can run my dog walking business out of

Now looking for a honda element with
Manuel trans .

Any advice or things to look for when
Buying .

Also considering a ford transit connect but
Those are auto only

Also now considering a honda odyssey van
Top speed 118 mph .not bad for a work vehicle.

I understand the v6 engines are bulletproof
And it gets the same milage as a element
Despite being a /6 not a /4

Any advice or thing to look for on a odyssey ???
JeffBowlsby
We have three Odyssey’s in our family. 2000, 2006, 2016. All are excellent for the roles they are intended for. No issues at all. Would buy another any day. Have owned all three since new.
tom.esh
I had an 07 Pilot. Basically the same. 200k trouble free miles. Just brakes, tires, battery, timing belt (preventive), and an alternator. No complaints.
mepstein
My wife put $275k on hers before another car hit her and totaled it. She would buy again if she wanted a minivan but she bought a cr-v. Loves it as well. The van was extremely cheap to own. Never needed any repairs and I basically stopped doing maintenance other than tires and brakes after 200K. It was also a great parts hauler.
thelogo
Ok sounds like all positive experiences
I am also looking at a mazda 5 mini van
But it is drastically smaller then the odyssey
And returns only a few mpg better .

Thank you to the brain truss s driving-girl.gif
mepstein
We kept ours as an extra car just because it could haul the kids dorm room back and forth and the a/c still blew cold after 12 years. I’m not sure we ever changed the timing belt. It was really a great buy, unlike my Hemi Durango that put a rod through the case @ 90K and then was rusting in half by 150K. And I actually babied the Durango.
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2019, 09:48 AM) *

We kept ours as an extra car just because it could haul the kids dorm room back and forth and the a/c still blew cold after 12 years. I’m not sure we ever changed the timing belt. It was really a great buy, unlike my Hemi Durango that put a rod through the case @ 90K and then was rusting in half by 150K. And I actually babied the Durango.

What would you say is actually milage and how big is the
Tank

26mpg would be ideal
JeffBowlsby
20mpg
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 24 2019, 03:22 PM) *

20mpg

We averaged 22. The CR-V gets 26+
worn
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 24 2019, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2019, 09:48 AM) *

What would you say is actually milage and how big is the
Tank

26mpg would be ideal

I have driven my wife’s van from here to Seattle a few times, and it has had no issues ever. This is her second cause a tree fell on her first one. The tank is around 14 gallons and the highway range is outstanding. Mini isn’t how I would describe it, but that goes for all modern cars.
SteveL
Odyssey, no question.
Bought one when the wife was pregnant with our twins, drove it to 120K.
Only switched to get an Expedition for towing camper. I miss the Odyssey, it was a MUCH better tool for the family than the Expedition.
wndsrfr
Definitely test drive an Odyssey... Get a good straight road and absolutely floor it... you will be A..Mazed!!! After being pushed back in your seat you'll be grabbing your wallet to pay the asking price no dickering!
Serial Ody owner... zero mechanical issues...
flyer86d
A couple of customers had them when I had the garage. They all loved them until the transmission failed. The trans has a stacked case like a motorcycle engine. There is no pan or a filter to service. When it goes, throw it in the trash and install a new one for big bucks. And they didn’t fail at high mileage. Also, the timing belt is not the worst one that I have changed but not the best. While Volvo and Audi have figured out how to attach the timing belt cover with a couple of clips, Honda insists on using a maddening number of 6mm bolts..... I prefer the 2012 or newer Grand Caravan. Just saying.

Charlie
Valy
There are 2 issue to check, especially on newer models:
1. Transmission health
2. There is an issue with the valves. The computer shuts off engine banks to save fuel, keeping the valves open. Sometimes there is a miss and detonation at the wrong time when the bank is powered back. This causes damage to the head (not immediate failure). It's more common on cars with high highway mileage.
ConeDodger
Not that far off topic. Mueller’s 914 has an Odyssey motor I think...
thelogo
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Apr 25 2019, 05:48 PM) *

A couple of customers had them when I had the garage. They all loved them until the transmission failed. The trans has a stacked case like a motorcycle engine. There is no pan or a filter to service. When it goes, throw it in the trash and install a new one for big bucks. And they didn’t fail at high mileage. Also, the timing belt is not the worst one that I have changed but not the best. While Volvo and Audi have figured out how to attach the timing belt cover with a couple of clips, Honda insists on using a maddening number of 6mm bolts..... I prefer the 2012 or newer Grand Caravan. Just saying.

Charlie

There seriously is no way to flush and change trans fluid?

What signs will indicated trans issues?
As ive only ever owned a manual
IronHillRestorations
We put 190K on our '06 Ody, and it was a great vehicle. ad a wheel bearing replaced and CV boots, regular maintenance or better, no major problems. I wanted to keep it but Mrs. Kiehl was tired of driving a van and wanted a smaller car. We sold it (too cheap) on Craigslist in less than 24hrs. A well maintained Ody is a 250k miler or more
Dave_Darling
Some of them (don't know which ones, sorry!) are somewhat notorious for transmission problems. I've talked to one guy who had 350K miles on his, but was on transmission number four...

--DD
euro911
A friend bought one, and stopped by to show it to me.

Click to view attachment

As she proceeded to show me all the features it had, I felt that I had to tell her that she was totally out of her element ...

rolleyes.gif

IronHillRestorations
I had our transmission fluid changed every 75k miles, and the (unknown to many) transmission filter cleaned at the dealer ($ouch). They always said "you don't have to service it yet", and we never had any transmission problems.
mepstein
I don’t think we ever serviced the trans. 275k. My wife always has good luck with cars.
JOEPROPER
[quote name='thelogo' date='Apr 25 2019, 10:17 PM' post='2708757']
[quote name='flyer86d' post='2708711' date='Apr 25 2019, 05:48 PM']

Charlie
[/quote

There seriously is no way to flush and change trans fluid?

What signs will indicated trans issues?
As ive only ever owned a manual
[/quote]
Trans is a drain and refill. about 4 quarts at a time. Use OEM Honda DW1 fluid.
thelogo
Drain and refill . my kinda job smoke.gif
fiacra

Charlie

Bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey in 2003 with 19K miles on it. The transmission failed at 63K, within the mileage warranty but 4 months out of the time warranty. No relief from Honda, despite multiple attempts. There is a known issue with fluid flow around second gear that causes these transmissions to fail. We had a Honda specialty shop pull that transmission, send it out for rebuild, and confirmed it was a failure of second gear secondary to fluid flow. Still, Honda wouldn't budge. The transmission failed again at 126K miles, despite changing the fluid every 7.5K miles (recommended by the transmission rebuilder). Turns out, with a lot of research, that there are filters at the relays that clog and restrict fluid flow. You can take out and clean them and that will prevent failure. Honda didn't figure this out, but some dedicated Odyssey owner did. You can find all of this on the Odyssey boards. We had to junk the Odyssey, despite the fact that everything else worked great! Too much $$$ to rebuild the transmission again. Then within a few weeks my 2001 Civic also had it's second transmission failure at 136K miles. It went to the junkyard as well. Very frustrating...especially since we got no help from Honda for either car. So, no more Hondas for us, despite the fact that I have owned Hondas for over 30 years. My wife is a dog trainer, and we own German Shepherds, so we did look at the Pilot just to be fair. Turns out it will not hold two XL size dog crates. So, if you want to transport large dogs, and have them safely in crates that are tied down, the Pilot will not work. The only vehicle that we could fit the crates in was a Toyota RAV4. Has to be gas, can't be hybrid, as the battery takes up space. Even the Highlander couldn't fit two XL crates. If you are seriously considering an Odyssey do a search on Odyssey transmission issues and you'll see why the nickname for these vehicles is "trannybomb."
thelogo
QUOTE(fiacra @ Apr 27 2019, 10:16 AM) *

Charlie

Bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey in 2003 with 19K miles on it. The transmission failed at 63K, within the mileage warranty but 4 months out of the time warranty. No relief from Honda, despite multiple attempts. There is a known issue with fluid flow around second gear that causes these transmissions to fail. We had a Honda specialty shop pull that transmission, send it out for rebuild, and confirmed it was a failure of second gear secondary to fluid flow. Still, Honda wouldn't budge. The transmission failed again at 126K miles, despite changing the fluid every 7.5K miles (recommended by the transmission rebuilder). Turns out, with a lot of research, that there are filters at the relays that clog and restrict fluid flow. You can take out and clean them and that will prevent failure. Honda didn't figure this out, but some dedicated Odyssey owner did. You can find all of this on the Odyssey boards. We had to junk the Odyssey, despite the fact that everything else worked great! Too much $$$ to rebuild the transmission again. Then within a few weeks my 2001 Civic also had it's second transmission failure at 136K miles. It went to the junkyard as well. Very frustrating...especially since we got no help from Honda for either car. So, no more Hondas for us, despite the fact that I have owned Hondas for over 30 years. My wife is a dog trainer, and we own German Shepherds, so we did look at the Pilot just to be fair. Turns out it will not hold two XL size dog crates. So, if you want to transport large dogs, and have them safely in crates that are tied down, the Pilot will not work. The only vehicle that we could fit the crates in was a Toyota RAV4. Has to be gas, can't be hybrid, as the battery takes up space. Even the Highlander couldn't fit two XL crates. If you are seriously considering an Odyssey do a search on Odyssey transmission issues and you'll see why the nickname for these vehicles is "trannybomb."

Are you just referring to the 2001 or 2nd generation
As being ( trannybomb)

Or does this nickname apply to all model years ?

Josh
euro911
One word ... TOYOTA aktion035.gif
fiacra
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 27 2019, 10:42 AM) *

Charlie

Are you just referring to the 2001 or 2nd generation
As being ( trannybomb)

Or does this nickname apply to all model years ?

Josh

Honda claims to have fixed this issue post 2005, but not until after it was litigated. I have heard, and read, plenty of stories of 2006 and later model year Odysseys having transmission issues. Too bad, as the engines seem well designed and have great power. Other than the transmission, we really liked our Odyssey. More than anything I was disappointed to find that Honda would not stand behind their cars. I won't bore you with a long story, but suffice it to say we ran up the chain of command as far as possible, both politely and professionally, but were brusquely rebuffed at all levels. No more Hondas for me, but you're welcome to try your luck smile.gif We replaced the Odyssey with a 2017 Rav4 and the Civic with a 2016 eGolf. So far we love both of them far more than we did our Hondas (but not as much as our 914's).

fiacra
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 27 2019, 11:02 AM) *

agree.gif
pedrok
Hi
I have Odyssey also, what I have read is that the transmission will not last more than 120k & a friend also broke at same miles
Mine is 129k, I FLUSH the trans oil almost every year and installed an oil cooler, so far no problems
Hope it helps
PK
thelogo
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 27 2019, 11:02 AM) *

Im totally ok with a toyota

I just was surprised that 2006 odyssesy and later dont have
Reliable trasmission

But something tells me this is the result of people
Driving their van way too aggressively.

My driving style is extremely light on the controls
But i dont wanna chance a trans failure so i may avoid the odyssey

Thoughts ?
thelogo

Charlie

The 06 ford ranger fits 1 xl crate and 1 med crate almost between the wheel wells . and still has a free space for about 3 more dogs to travel with a camper shell.

But the odyssey would appear to hold 2 xl crates
And have space for 3 dogs to be behind the driver area.
Total of 5 dogs and in air con

And that would really offer me the ultimate flexability
And let me make a bunch of $ wub.gif
thelogo
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d...6881707359.html

Please advise

What do you think of the price ?
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 7 2019, 06:41 AM) *

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d...6881707359.html

Please advise

What do you think of the price ?

If it's a real ad, I think it will be sold long before you get to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.