Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben Nichols
Hi

I am looking to fit an oil pressure gauge using the existing sender. I can find 52mm VDO gauges which I am happy with, I will have to make a new centre console board to fit it.

Question is do I need 0-5 bar or 0-10?

Cheers

Ben
914forme
Ben confused24.gif depends on the scale of the gauge. VDO makes different senders for different gauges, but most of the time they overlap to a degree from the metric bar line and the US PSI version it is the same sending unit. The difference comes in the scales and ohm ranges to make the scale.

They are listed by the scale, and ohm range so you can match it to the gauge.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
0-80 is the appropriate oil pressure sender. We make the console sized gauge to match the clock voltmeter and oil temp gauge, and it is cheap (38 bucks!)

QUOTE(Ben Nichols @ Apr 19 2019, 08:05 AM) *

Hi

I am looking to fit an oil pressure gauge using the existing sender. I can find 52mm VDO gauges which I am happy with, I will have to make a new centre console board to fit it.

Cheers

Ben
ctc911ctc
George,

I purchased one of these gages, can you spec the corresponding 0-80 pressure sending unit?

Thank you!
CTC911CTC
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 19 2019, 09:38 AM) *

0-80 is the appropriate oil pressure sender. We make the console sized gauge to match the clock voltmeter and oil temp gauge, and it is cheap (38 bucks!)

QUOTE(Ben Nichols @ Apr 19 2019, 08:05 AM) *

Hi

Cheers

Ben

Dave_Darling
The existing sender is just a switch; it either shorts its wire to ground or it has no connection. You need a sender to run a gauge; make it and the gauge match each other.

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 19 2019, 10:59 PM) *

The existing sender is just a switch; it either shorts its wire to ground or it has no connection. You need a sender to run a gauge; make it and the gauge match each other.

--DD

Agree, the 5 bar sender is for a 5 bar gauge, they have to match. Even if it pins the gauge cold it will run in a normal range hot.
5 bar is about 72psi and is more than enough.
yeahmag
Just a heads up that you will benefit greatly from a boost/buck controller:

https://www.amazon.com/DC-DC-converter-9-14...eway&sr=8-7

The gauges are only accurate at ~14V and don't compensate for voltage fluctuations. Mine would show 0 PSI with the headlights on! All my gauges are powered off a similar boost converter now.
Ben Nichols
So, guys. Some very kind chap here in the UK has given me a VDO oil pressure gauge (up to 80 psi) its slightly smaller than the other three centre gauges I have, which I can deal with.

Thing is I have no idea what sender to put with it.... there is a label on the side of the housing which looks original with what I assume is a part number reading 1 221 002 042A and 1650 just beneath.

Does anyone have any idea what sender I need to get for a 2L?

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.