Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wilco conversion "convertible"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Wilco conversion

Not my car etc but interesting....

Wonder how effective any bracing would actually be?

Click to view attachment
wes
I’ve often wondered if the convertible mod wouldn’t tend to be somewhat a problem with the handling stiffness wise.
JOEPROPER
Ruined a nice car barf.gif
Steve
And no roll over protection. The windshield was not designed to handle the weight of the car.
buck toenges
Makes the car "look" longer.
don-6
I like the windshield rake, and the body lines. It reminds me of my very first sports car, a 1973 FIAT 850 Sport Spider.
I would not do this conversion to a 914, but since it's done, it would be cool to drive.
I would add a role hoop behind the seats for safety and to help stiffen the car.
914_7T3
If you had never seen an original Targa version, this Cabrio is actually pretty nice looking. IMHO
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 19 2019, 12:35 PM) *

And no roll over protection. The windshield was not designed to handle the weight of the car.

It's just like my Ghia vert so a different experience driving with nothing but a windshield
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 19 2019, 12:35 PM) *

It's just like my Ghia vert so a different experience driving with nothing but a windshield
bdstone914
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Apr 19 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Ruined a nice car barf.gif

agree.gif
And seats with no headrest. Stupid way to ruin a car.
Gatornapper
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 19 2019, 04:50 PM) *

If you had never seen an original Targa version, this Cabrio is actually pretty nice looking. IMHO

Actually I find it stunningly beautiful. A predecessor to the Boxster.

Just too dangerous to drive. But actually a nice roll bar wouldn't hurt the looks at all.

Jus' sayin'...........

GN

bbrock
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 20 2019, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 19 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Actually I find it stunningly beautiful. A predecessor to the Boxster.

Just too dangerous to drive. But actually a nice roll bar wouldn't hurt the looks at all.

Jus' sayin'...........

GN

agree.gif Looks like a nice car for someone with a death wish.
Spoke
I think this car looks a lot better than the notchy roof line of the standard 914. When folks say the 914 is ugly I think the ugliness of the standard 914 stems from the notch-back roof. Take the stock roll-over hoop off and it looks really sleek.

Although for this conversion I think it would be best to integrate a tubular roll-over hoop for safety. Also need to add seats with head restraints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.