Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear View Mirror placement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
I looked around, but was not able to find where you mount the rear view mirror on the windshield. Does anyone have the dimensions? Mainly from the top of the mirror patch to the bottom of the chrome around the top of the windshield.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Larmo63
Ruffino folds the visors down, eyeballs it, and sticks it on.

YMMV.
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 13 2019, 12:37 PM) *

YMMV.

Thanks for the response!!
I will probably do the same, but curious if the placement is documented somewhere.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is documented in the factory manual and in my tech tips 700 4 inches down from the windshield chrome to the top of the trapezoid mirror base

QUOTE(Steve @ May 13 2019, 12:42 PM) *

YMMV.

I will probably do the same, but curious if the placement is documented somewhere.

PanelBilly
I put mine off center, more toward the passenger. It gives me a bit more clear glass to see out of. Then again I don't have visors either. Even with them up, they block some of my view. If you study the windshield from the outside you notice the mirror is not centered, but I break so many rules with my car, why not this one too.

Make sure it's low enough on the windshield to give you a clear view out the back. Once I mounted one too high and that sucked
Mark Henry
How do you remove the base? and stick it on?
My car the base is about 4" but the wife's is less than 2-1/2".
ndfrigi
When I did mine, I lowered both left and right sunvisor and eyeball it to the center (ask someone to make a mark infront of the windshield for your guide when you do the final install) between the sunvisor (just to make sure the sunvisor will not hit the rearview mirror) and then while seated, check if the rearview has a clear view and the roll bar is not interferring. If you mount it too high, you will have to angle the mirror down to avoid the roll bar but the view is towards down and it will lessen the distance in viewing the car behind.

Steve
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 13 2019, 12:51 PM) *

it is documented in the factory manual and in my tech tips 700 4 inches down from the windshield chrome to the top of the trapezoid mirror base

QUOTE(Steve @ May 13 2019, 12:42 PM) *

YMMV.

Thanks Doc!!
I misplaced your book, so I just ordered another one.
porschetub
I marked the location on the outside of the screen with blue painters tape using the marks left behind on the inside,used a sharp blade to remove old clue on the inside and the mirror base and wiped contact areas with acetone.
I found the 944 stick on pad from Pelican worked a treat..still on there after 2 years.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 13 2019, 02:43 PM) *

How do you remove the base? and stick it on?
My car the base is about 4" but the wife's is less than 2-1/2".

I have been successful 3 time at this but it is risky. Heat will break down the glue. I use a Mapp gas torch that has instant start. I use a piece of sheet metal as a shield so I don't overheat the glass. I hold the torch parallel to the glass and heat the base in bursts making sure I don't get too much heat on the glass. I use a rotating motion on the mirror instead of pulling it.
Steve
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 14 2019, 02:23 PM) *

I marked the location on the outside of the screen with blue painters tape using the marks left behind on the inside,used a sharp blade to remove old clue on the inside and the mirror base and wiped contact areas with acetone.
I found the 944 stick on pad from Pelican worked a treat..still on there after 2 years.

Thanks for the tip!!
I will use blue tape this time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.