Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911S strut assemblies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
framos914
Need help. My 75 2.0 has worn strut inserts, PO replaced front struts with what I believed were 1977 911S Koni struts part #911 341 079 16 stamped on it. Bought inserts Koni 86-1942. Problem is they bottom out before going in far enough to secure them with the round nut.
Could I have 72-74 911S struts? Did they have the same part number? And are those inserts (86-1638) just a little shorter to seat further down. The 1942s seem to be just about 12mm too long, body of the 1942 is 374mm long.

Tried getting info from a few places including Koni but no luck.
Thanks
mepstein
Off the top of my head, it sounds like you are trying to put inserts made for 3 1/2" struts into a 3" strut. The later strut bodies are taller than the earlier ones.
framos914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 14 2019, 08:47 PM) *

Off the top of my head, it sounds like you are trying to put inserts made for 3 1/2" struts into a 3" strut. The later strut bodies are taller than the earlier ones.

The struts are 3.5 inch, It also has the 911S aluminum calipers not the M calipers which I believe are the 3 inch.Even though the the receipt in the POs documents say 1977 suspension, it could be wrong. These components were installed on this car way back in 1980.
infraredcalvin
it appears you have even earlier struts for 914-6/ 911 and 912, 68-72?

There is a superseded part number you get when searching which may be what’s fouling up your search.
Larmo63
Pictures might help us here, too.......?
framos914
I'll try to get pictures tomorrow if the mechanic at the shop doesn't sort it out. Getting the 86-1638 Konis tomorrow but cant find those dimensions to see if the're a bit shorter.
porschetub
I ordered replacements for what I knew were MY for my alloy crossbar,turned out I was right as the struts are the same era (911 SC) honestly had no idea.
Took a gamble really cause the OP also told me my gearbox was ok headbang.gif headbang.gif .
Part numbers change but those better than me have spoken,I will say I have been bitten before on wrong numbers.
914Sixer
I have a set of Koni 86-1942 and I have test fitted them in stock 73-on Boge Struts. You have to use the Boge nut but they fit. I have a set of 86-1647 which are made different but fit the same.

One on right is the 1942 and left one is 1647. BOTH are the same length. 14 1/2 inces or 37 cm.
sixnotfour
real Koni Struts.. require a unique shock insert ...call paragon products Koni 86-1638

https://www.paragon-products.com/Koni-Strut...8-p/86-1638.htm
framos914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 15 2019, 07:56 AM) *

real Koni Struts.. require a unique shock insert ...call paragon products Koni 86-1638

https://www.paragon-products.com/Koni-Strut...8-p/86-1638.htm

Thanks
Spoke with Jason at Paragon, he is 100% sure there is something at the bottom of the strut keeping the insert from dropping all the way down. The mechanic disagrees so I'll follow Jason's advice, pick up the car and take it apart myself.
mepstein
If it’s just one strut insert that won’t go down then I’m betting on a bent strut. If it’s both sides then I got nothing.
sixnotfour
real Koni Strut housing /Spindles are special
framos914
Click to view attachment
Passenger side strut
framos914
Click to view attachment
framos914
Click to view attachment
Old insert
framos914
Click to view attachment
New 861942 insert
914Sixer
I have never seen that type of Koni insert. The numbers I am seeing says it is 75-up strut. Made week 34 1974. Wondering about spacer in bottom of tube.?
infraredcalvin
Something has to account for that tab at the bottom of the original insert.
framos914
The tab has two sides, I think on the original the shaft gets pushed down manually and catches on something to make ride adjustments. Next I'll take the strut completely out to have a good look in the housing and make there's nothing inside the housing
sixnotfour
your missing some pieces,,ie still in tube..
framos914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Thanks for that picture, might be that round piece at left is still in the tube. Any Ideas on how to get it out? Hope to avoid removing the whole strut assy.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(framos914 @ May 16 2019, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Thanks for that picture, might be that round piece at left is still in the tube. Any Ideas on how to get it out? Hope to avoid removing the whole strut assy.

magnet and thump strut with plastic hammer
framos914
Click to view attachment
Thanks again, that was it! Got those inserts in. Used a magnet and brought it right out. The mechanic should have tried the magnet.
Last question, intructions show 50ml of oil in housing. What is the best oil to use? Picure on instructions shows what looks looks like a snowflake.
sixnotfour
Question: Some friends told me I ought to put some type of coolant in my strut housing before I install the insert. What are they talking about?

Answer: It's a good idea, particularly if the car is tracked, to put a the strut tube prior to installing the insert. You can use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze or hydraulic oil. Many inserts that you remove prior to installing your Koni's, will leave hydraulic oil in the tube. You can use this oil or the antifreeze mix. You'll want the coolant level to be about 2/3 of the way up the insert. It won't take much fluid because the insert will displace most of it. Use the dipstick method to check the level of the fluid. A paper towel can be used to soak up excess if needed. Never run straight water in the tube as if may freeze and collapse your insert.
sixnotfour
Question: What a rip, my 911 has original Koni struts and many places are telling me the only thing I can install are hydraulic, standard adjustable Koni inserts. Seems strange that I have the wiz bang original Koni strut and I can't even use Koni's externally adjustable gas insert.

Answer: This used to be true. We were able to modify the gas insert to fit original Koni struts (at extra cost) but recently Koni made everyone's life much easier. A change in the design of the insert will now allow you to utilize the externally adjustable gas insert in your original Koni strut. You do have to use the correct production date insert though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.