Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Stuck Locked - Top Inside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi all,

So - not sure why it did this the other day, but I went to lock the trunk and the button got stuck pushed in and horizontal - locked. I was able to get the key out - but it was stuck.

I've seen the 'go through the targa cap' procedure - **but my top is in the trunk.**

I thought if I drilled the lock out that might help - so i did. The button popped back out - but - it's still locked.

I'm a little worried here - ideas? confused24.gif

Thanks!!

Mike
76-914
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ May 20 2019, 10:28 AM) *

Hi all,

So - not sure why it did this the other day, but I went to lock the trunk and the button got stuck pushed in and horizontal - locked. I was able to get the key out - but it was stuck.

I've seen the 'go through the targa cap' procedure - **but my top is in the trunk.**

I thought if I drilled the lock out that might help - so i did. The button popped back out - but - it's still locked.

Thanks!!

Mike

Remove the hinges via the engine compartment. beerchug.gif
CoronaMike
Will the whole lid lift off if I do that?
mepstein
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ May 20 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Will the whole lid lift off if I do that?

yes
CoronaMike
ok - thanks guys! Looks like I have a lunch time project. smile.gif
rhodyguy
Did you try spraying lubricant in the key slot? How worn is your key? I thought going thru the firewall holes was to remove the latching assem from the rear facia. Don't see how the lid will lift off when it's still secured at the back. The hinge arms are under a lot of pressure from the torsion springs. The top being in the trunk poses a problem. If the front top latches are in the holes, how are you going to push push the white cups in to the trunk?
CoronaMike
Well, I wasn't going to do the plastic cup method *because the top is in there. But I do share your concerns with the torsion springs. :/
76-914
You can insert a 1x4 into the saddle part of the hinge. Then back out the bolts. beerchug.gif

a scrap 1x4

Click to view attachment

then do this

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
I would drill out the lock cyl before I'd jump all of those hoops. Decent ones are avail. Rekey. Easier to replace than a rear deck.

The button is stuck in? Did you try gently pushing down on the radius of the lid center?
Chi-town
Go to harbor freight, buy a small pick set. Use the 90 degree pick in the key hole to pull the button back out.

Use the key to turn the lock and then push back in to open the trunk.
sb914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 20 2019, 07:05 PM) *

Go to harbor freight, buy a small pick set. Use the 90 degree pick in the key hole to pull the button back out.

Use the key to turn the lock and then push back in to open the trunk.

He drilled out the lock already! Don’t think the key will be going back in.
worn
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ May 20 2019, 09:28 AM) *

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Mike

If you can find another 914 it will help you understand what is going on and what you need to do. I was locked out of my blood pressure meds 1000 miles from home last year. Luckily my top was above the seats instead of being in the trunk. Usually the problem is a broken off die cast pin. Helps if you can see one with the trunk open. Good luck!
CoronaMike
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 20 2019, 03:59 PM) *

You can insert a 1x4 into the saddle part of the hinge. Then back out the bolts. beerchug.gif

a scrap 1x4

Awesome - thanks for taking the time with the pictures - i appreciate it!

**Actually - hey, you're in temecula... be there in an hour. wink.gif lol
CoronaMike

Mike
[/quote]
If you can find another 914 it will help you understand what is going on and what you need to do. I was locked out of my blood pressure meds 1000 miles from home last year. Luckily my top was above the seats instead of being in the trunk. Usually the problem is a broken off die cast pin. Helps if you can see one with the trunk open. Good luck!
[/quote]

Hi Worn - Yeah, I read your post before I asked the group. You're lucky your top wasn't in.

I think I'm going to have to try the lid removal. :/
CoronaMike
Ok - so I took of the top bolt on both sides (pic 1). It kinda made a popping sound and the lid kind of popped up in the back on both sides (pic 2) - but it's still solidly not moving. Do I need to take out the bottom bolts too? (pic 3).

Also - do I need to take out the torsion bars too?

thanks!

Pic 1:
Click to view attachment

Pic 2:
Click to view attachment

Pic 3:
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Fun fact, those torsion rods are under incredible pressure with the lid closed. Lots of Pressure even with the lid raised. I think you're stuck until you release the latch. What ever it takes without doing further damage.
CoronaMike
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 21 2019, 05:19 PM) *

Fun fact, those torsion rods are under incredible pressure with the lid closed. Lots of Pressure even with the lid raised. I think you're stuck until you release the latch. What ever it takes without doing further damage.

I read somewhere that someone drilled a small hole under the lock in back and pushed some sort of rod in there to unlatch it.

I might be getting desperate here.
CoronaMike
**update**

Ok - I got it open. I kinda wish I woulda just done this first. If you drill a little hole coming up from where the top of the license plate is - and if you finagle around in there with a long screwdriver long enough - it will pop open.

The harder part was then getting the bolts back in the hinges in the engine compartment.

But I'm just glad it's done. Next stop - finding a new lock button. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Nice save. Spring for new rollers. Put the rods off of the rollers with a 10mm? DEEP, short ones tend to slip off, socket on the rods and an extension as a lever. Clean and lightly lube the roller posts. Should take 10-15 minutes.
FL000
This thread just saved me some time and money! Got home from WCR and couldn't open rear trunk blink.gif . Luggage blocked the bolts by lock cylinder to try and gain access from inside (V8 distributor cutout or targa cups). Inconspicuous hole above license as you did got the job done. Now I have an alternate access to boot if it happens again.

beerchug.gif

Josh
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ May 21 2019, 07:19 PM) *

**update**

Ok - I got it open. I kinda wish I woulda just done this first. If you drill a little hole coming up from where the top of the license plate is - and if you finagle around in there with a long screwdriver long enough - it will pop open.

Click to view attachment

Would you shoot a wider angle pic so the relative position can be seen better; very nice mod for emergency access.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.