Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Disc Brake Backing Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
I was talking to a long time Porsche builder (all kinds from 356 to 928 to 997) and he says that he never uses the backing plates. He throws them away.

As I will be installing new aluminum 911S calipers soon on the front of my car, what are your thoughts on these?

My car is a hot rod street build, no rules, so.......... confused24.gif
mepstein
I don’t use them and it’s not like your cars see water.
ndfrigi
good to know also since my project don’t have those anymore. No need for me to find those now. Thanks Larmo for asking this here!
Mark Henry
They're for rocks and sand, cars driven on gravel roads and places that spread sand/salt. If that's not you don't worry about it.
Here they spread so much coarse sand (almost gravel) last winter I almost wish I had them.
914_teener
They are there kind of like a safety guard for your calipers and rotors.

I'd run em.

porschetub
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 12 2019, 12:09 PM) *

They are there kind of like a safety guard for your calipers and rotors.

I'd run em.

agree.gif couldn't do without them on my sh#tty gravel entrance road,think they may help with cooling also,maybe Eric will chime in from PMB ?.
worn
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 11 2019, 12:51 PM) *

I was talking to a long time Porsche builder (all kinds from 356 to 928 to 997) and he says that he never uses the backing plates. He throws them away.

As I will be installing new aluminum 911S calipers soon on the front of my car, what are your thoughts on these?

My car is a hot rod street build, no rules, so.......... confused24.gif

I cut up the original backing plates to run the alu 911s calipers. Will look for photos.
80’s old school
I ditched mine fronr and rear.

On another “canyon carver” I built, I ditched them as well.
914_teener
QUOTE(80’s old school @ Jun 11 2019, 08:51 PM) *

I ditched mine fronr and rear.

On another “canyon carver” I built, I ditched them as well.

I ran over enough rocks at the WCR last weekend.

They are there and designed to protect your brake lines and moving caliper parts from road debris.

Let me know when you are up there so I can stay home.

Just sayin with my Krusty response.
colingreene
I have S calipers and the backing plates. However I have M calipers in the rear but no backing plates.
burton73
Super early S caliper with backings. Note the color. For those that do know my car the 30th 6 at PMB. So, if Eric put them on my car that should tell you something.

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment
burton73
Rear on 41 with 914-6 V calpers spaced

Bob BClick to view attachment
Andyrew
Our cars have difficulty generating enough heat to warm up track pads... I keep them on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.