Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB Visor rebuild service Still $110 with your cores
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
Looking at another run of visors to recover $110 a set in vinyl naked or with flap and pocket, but need 12 sets to do this. Many happy customers, and better than $300+ for a decent set of visors.

Who's interested?

You will need to send in a stripped core (we can strip for $25 more), and we will recover. Shipping is not included in the cost.

-Mark
Chi-town
Can I trade in a few sets of cores for a set? laugh.gif
Big Len
Kinda wish you would offer this at the end of the driving season. Would make a nice Christmas offer.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 6 2019, 03:42 PM) *

Can I trade in a few sets of cores for a set? laugh.gif

Yes, I will basically sell cores to those that need them. The core charge has been $35 a set stripped (so you can make sure the ends are good). Easier to ship that way too.

Just let me know how many cores you will be sending.

-Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 6 2019, 04:02 PM) *

Kinda wish you would offer this at the end of the driving season. Would make a nice Christmas offer.

True, but this is a slower time of year so easier for us to accommodate. It also looks like cores may be an option too. These trade out pretty easily. There will also be a special for those that join that will be worth your while. Just an option that can save you some more money if you wish.

So you can wait til Xmas if you want santa_smiley.gif
914_7T3
Can you do set or two for me in German Vinyl if I supply the materials? I would love for it to match my dash vinyl and top of the door cards. wub.gif

Please, pretty please!

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
I can try. really depends on how the material rolls over the corners. I don't think it will be a problem, but will not know until we try.

So Yes I can, but if the material co-operates. We have chosen the material we use as it's durable UV stable and wears well, it also will allow some stretch without showing. .
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 6 2019, 04:48 PM) *

I can try. really depends on how the material rolls over the corners. I don't think it will be a problem, but will not know until we try.

So Yes I can, but if the material co-operates. We have chosen the material we use as it's durable UV stable and wears well, it also will allow some stretch without showing. .

I can decide later, but regardless please include me for a set.
Minerva's 914
Very interested BUT i would need them back before Okteenerfest next month. What are the chances?

KMA.gif
bbrock
Well if @914_7T3 is jumping in, I'd better also. Put me down for a set. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 6 2019, 07:58 PM) *

If you're going to take care of Jeffrey, I'd like mine done in Corinthian Leather. lol-2.gif

Actually for his car it would be a shame to not use the exact German Vinyl . . . and he's the man that can find it!

Click to view attachment

On a more serious note, I'd love to have much of my interior done in Leather or a mix of Leather and Alcantera faux suede for those "sensitive" seating surfaces. Not really looking forward to sitting on hot black vinyl again in my lifetime.

Curious if you've considered either material as a possibility. I'm probably in the minority here on this one though.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Aug 6 2019, 05:08 PM) *

Very interested BUT i would need them back before Okteenerfest next month. What are the chances?

KMA.gif

Depends on how quickly this comes together and how quickly you send in cores. We do them in order received.

I'd say it's possible.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 6 2019, 05:23 PM) *

If you're going to take care of Jeffrey, I'd like mine done in Corinthian Leather. lol-2.gif

Actually for his car it would be a shame to not use the exact German Vinyl . . . and he's the man that can find it!

Click to view attachment

On a more serious note, I'd love to have much of my interior done in Leather or a mix of Leather and Alcantera faux suede for those "sensitive" seating surfaces. Not really looking forward to sitting on hot black vinyl again in my lifetime.

Curious if you've considered either material as a possibility. I'm probably in the minority here on this one though.

You provide, I'll give it a shot. These are somewhat technical to sew.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 6 2019, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Aug 6 2019, 05:08 PM) *

KMA.gif

Depends on how quickly this comes together and how quickly you send in cores. We do them in order received.

I'd say it's possible.

Okay, I'm in let me know when it's happening and I can overnight them to you. Hopefully will be first in line. If it comes together this week that would give use right at 1 month to make it happen. If it doesn't happen before Okteenerfest then I'm still in but will wait until after the event to send them in.

THANKS!

Keep me informed
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 6 2019, 09:07 PM) *

Hmm. . . . you're a good sport. Let me do some digging to see if I can find some leather that would be appropriate for visors. How big a swath do you need? Obviously big enough to cover both sides of both visors but we also need to allow for some scrap I'm sure.
Steve
I'm game for flap and a pocket. I also have a bunch of cores.
FlacaProductions
These are nice - if you're on the fence, do it.
bigkensteele
Hey Mark,
Do you use the same vinyl that is used on the rest of your black repro stuff? In other words, will it match my seats, my backpad, my console and my doorcards?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 6 2019, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 6 2019, 09:07 PM) *

Hmm. . . . you're a good sport. Let me do some digging to see if I can find some leather that would be appropriate for visors. How big a swath do you need? Obviously big enough to cover both sides of both visors but we also need to allow for some scrap I'm sure.

I need enough to cover both sides and make the flap, so off a roll 20" should enough.
Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 6 2019, 07:40 PM) *

Hey Mark,
Do you use the same vinyl that is used on the rest of your black repro stuff? In other words, will it match my seats, my backpad, my console and my doorcards?

The grain is identical, but it is different. You can't tell even if you put next to another piece.

Mark
bbrock
Can't quite tell from the pic. Is the mirror included or do we pop our own in there? Doesn't matter to me as long as a mirror winds up under the flap.
Mikey914
Mirror is included as it has to be sewn in. That's part of the tricky part, these are not as easy as you would think.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 6 2019, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 6 2019, 05:23 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@bbrock @Superhawk996 @Mikey914 Just to be clear, its the vinyl that is used for the dash, center console and tops of the door cards and not as heavy as the heat sealed originals. I will bring a sample of the Originals to the interior shop to see if they have something similar.

If all else fails, Corinthian can work too! Smiles, Everybody Smiles!

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996

av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 6 2019, 08:02 PM) *

My fault. Mark and I we’re talking on the phone and I mentioned someone on Facebook was looking and he said Group Buy!
Dion
Interested, tell me what i need to do to my crunchy originals :-(
Ship when, where, etc,etc etc.

Thanks Mark
Gint
I'm interested also Mark. Can you tell us what stripped core looks like? Never taken one apart...
doug_b_928
I’m in. I need the same info as others about preparing the cores.
mepstein
All you do to prep the core is slit the vinyl open and peel it off the frame. Remove any little bits of foam that is stuck to the metal frame. It takes about 5 minutes. Sandwich the frame in between a couple layers of cardboard when you ship and write your name on the cardboard.
Dion
Thanks Mark.
Mikey914
Looks like we are about 10 at this point and may pick up a straggler or two.

So we prefer to have the cores cut open and gutted. All we need is the wire cores. We then clean up the substructure and build the new ones.

The only issue we have ever had with cores are the screw clamps. This is why we ask you to strip them down. Occasionally, the metal is pulled through from over tightening.

We will rebuild your cores and return to you.

Also, ONLY for those that participate in the rebuild we will offer the new visor clips. These are the new ones we make that are polished stainless steel. You will notice that when you remove these the pins will be rusty where they pivot on the pin. This is because the factory ones were plated steel and the scratch the chrome off to review the steel underneath. Of course they will rust. Mine will not.

They are also made without the hollow the factory ones have as it actually creates a weak spot if we did them that way, so we spent the extra .02 in material and solved that issue.

They are $59 a set with this GB. This is a substantial savings biggrin.gif

Steve
Let us know when it's a go and we can send in our cores.
Mikey914
Will open this up this week. More to follow soon.
FL000
I am in if you can supply a set of cores for me as well.

beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
I'm off work tomorrow recovering from surgery. I'll talk to local car upholstery shop and see if I can come up with a good sized leather remnant on the cheap. Would love to have you do the work!
jsaum
Can you post pictures of what the stripped down cores should look like?
Rob-O
I’m in.
mxkinn01
I’m in for a set as well.
Thanks Mike
Mikey914
QUOTE(jsaum @ Aug 12 2019, 07:25 PM) *

Can you post pictures of what the stripped down cores should look like?

Yes I will shortly
jsaum
Ok I'm in for a set. Please post pictures so I know what I'm cutting into when I strip the visors. Is there anything that will cause them to not be useable?
dlee6204
I’m in for a set
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(jsaum @ Aug 14 2019, 09:13 AM) *

Ok I'm in for a set. Please post pictures so I know what I'm cutting into when I strip the visors. Is there anything that will cause them to not be useable?

I did mine a few months back and sent them in for the 914 Rubber versions.

You can't hurt them when you strip em - just take a blade and go around the outside - you'll see how there is a frame and (what used to be) some foam inside.

Just be careful of the mirror edges - they're sharp.
Mikey914
Yes you cant really hurt these. The only thing that becomes an issue if the screw clips. The little black tabs that hold the screws and allow them to compress and hold the visor up. Don't loose them. They are on there pretty good, so not super easy to have that happen. Also check the area the screw goes through, it is possible to over tighten so it will not grab. You can see the metal will have pulled through. Not as common as you would think, but have seen it.

You don't need to clean the metal up we will do that as many require it.

The GB will be posted up by Monday and I'll PM all that have signed up here we are prepping the internal material and cutting mirrors now.
orthobiz
I am in also!

Paul
Luke M
I'm in for a set..
Gint
I'm definitely in for one set. And perhaps two if I can find some more cores. Which shouldn't be too hard.
Mikey914
Yes we should be able to provide some, as we hope to be able to trade for a few sets.
John90290
I'm in. mine are toast...literally burnt toast.
Superhawk996
I’m in if you are really game for trying leather i picked up a really big remnant today.

@mikey914
jfort
I'd like to do this, too. Over the winter when the car is in storage? Mail in existing ones, which aren't too bad, and get back your new ones?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.