Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Thread Fredriks GT build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GTSandberg
I am starting this thread "in medias res" with the car as it is today.
Then I will post a confusing mix of past and present, showing the project updates and process. Promise to nerd out on the details. welder.gif .

Click to view attachment

mb911
Will be watching.
Retroracer
Ditto. Keep the posts coming!

- Tony
Cairo94507
Love the build threads. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Great looking with the Minilites/Fuchs mix! And it looks like there's been a lot of metal work done. I'd love to see details on all that, if you have it.
Keep the posts coming and best of luck with your build. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
GTSandberg
Ok, so the hell hole, turns out it was not rust free.. Hælveteshøl it would be called in Norwegian btw.
It seemed to be solid, but some closer investigation revealed sloppy previous rust repairs. (x2)

Click to view attachment
Not one, but two layers of new metal without removing the original disaster area.

After removing the old crap I started fabricating the new parts. It is not really very complex geometry, and only two areas needed "special tooling".

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the bottom of the hole, and the flange towards the side.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the shelf.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I would not call it hell, but more like tedious and annoying-hole.
Dion
Fantastic work. Obviously not your first rodeo.
I’m tuned in. I’ll have to consult with my Norwegian Elghund to
interpret for me. beerchug.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(GTSandberg @ Aug 26 2019, 08:55 AM) *

That's about the cleanest looking HH repair I've seen, great job! Did you put a drain hole down towards the bottom of it, as stock?

GTSandberg
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 26 2019, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(GTSandberg @ Aug 26 2019, 08:55 AM) *

That's about the cleanest looking HH repair I've seen, great job! Did you put a drain hole down towards the bottom of it, as stock?

Thank you! Also a good point, The drain hole is in place, important to make it the lowest point, as indicated by the two red lines. As seen in the picture small parts tend to gather in the HH, neat.

Click to view attachment
GTSandberg
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 26 2019, 02:50 PM) *

Fantastic work. Obviously not your first rodeo.
I’m tuned in. I’ll have to consult with my Norwegian Elghund to
interpret for me. beerchug.gif

Thank you, say hello to the Elghund! bye1.gif
mepstein
welcome.png
Cairo94507
Beautiful repair. beerchug.gif
GTSandberg
Appreciate all feedback smile.gif

Here are two pictures of the car before I started cutting in it. Quite complete, but not pretty. Solid but a bit rough..

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
GTSandberg
The front fenders has been a lot of work, 914s are not very common in Norway and spare parts are not easy to come by. There were some previous rust repairs that needed to be redone.

Click to view attachment

The gap between the fender and the part infront of the windshield was welded together, and was not straight. Here I am making the two parts to weld in.

Click to view attachment

There was also something odd with the door gap..

Click to view attachment

In progress..

Click to view attachment

Welded in place, and doing some body soldering with lead

Click to view attachment

More or less finished, how many layers of paint can you see? biggrin.gif

GTSandberg
Here is a good example of doing things the hard way.. The goal is to modify the sheet metal structure around the jack mounts to make room for the GT-oil lines. To do this modification I would recomend the following. Buy the replacement sheet metal part, cut and weld. I choose to make a stamping tool screwy.gif

Click to view attachment
One of the failed attemts and the male tool.

Click to view attachment
One of the almost good parts after some work, and the female tool.

Click to view attachment
Welding in the fabricated part.

Click to view attachment
Test fitting my brand new paper oil lines.
bbrock
I'm just catching up on your build thread. Loving your fabrication work! Keep 'em coming. aktion035.gif
76-914
agree.gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 5 2019, 02:24 PM) *

I'm just catching up on your build thread. Loving your fabrication work! Keep 'em coming. aktion035.gif

Thanks! I will keep posting type.gif
Your build thread has been a true inspiration to me btw!
defianty
Nice work, look forward to seeing more.
mb911
Just a note as I have had made and sold 38 sets of GT hard lines the indent really is not required.. I had no issues fitting mine personally ..
GTSandberg
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 5 2019, 08:15 PM) *

Just a note as I have had made and sold 38 sets of GT hard lines the indent really is not required.. I had no issues fitting mine personally ..

Haha, that just makes the time spent on this even more worthwhile lol-2.gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 5 2019, 07:20 PM) *

Nice work, look forward to seeing more.

I may say exactly the same, just saw your own build thread, wow!
GTSandberg
The GT oil system is of course a challenge.

Click to view attachment
These are 3 vital components that are really difficult to come by/expensive

Luckily this is old school technology and possible to reverse engineer and replicate. At least the thermostate and oil pressure relief valve. Casting the oil filter bracket is a bit trickier, and most of them are magnesium also..

Click to view attachment
Thermostate housing 3D-model

Click to view attachment
OPR-valve 3D model (cast part)

Click to view attachment
3D-model of opr-assembly

Click to view attachment
Plugs (is it called that..?) for sand casting (I have a guy who is going to do the metal casting).

Work in progress, very exciting
jd74914
QUOTE(GTSandberg @ Sep 6 2019, 09:11 AM) *

Plugs (is it called that..?) for sand casting (I have a guy who is going to do the metal casting).

That's awesome!! Very cool. Did you oversize them to allow for casting shrinkage? In the past I've had a number of parts sand cast and have had to oversize between 1.5-3% for different magnesium and aluminum alloys.

They are called plugs. smile.gif
Mueller
Impressive amount of sheet metal, and casting your own parts takes it up a notch for sure.
tygaboy
Stamping dies! aktion035.gif Really impressive fabrication. Keep up the fabulous work.
bbrock
What???!!! shocked[1].gif Truly next level! pray.gif
raynekat
QUOTE(GTSandberg @ Sep 6 2019, 07:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Cool project.
This just happens to be on Ebay right now.
Not affiliated.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
you can get the thermo, with ear repo. germany and the preschona valve, germany and usa(armando) but you probably already knew that.. nice to have the capability to make these..

slap.gif popcorn[1].gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 6 2019, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(GTSandberg @ Sep 6 2019, 09:11 AM) *

That's awesome!! Very cool. Did you oversize them to allow for casting shrinkage? In the past I've had a number of parts sand cast and have had to oversize between 1.5-3% for different magnesium and aluminum alloys.

They are called plugs. smile.gif

Thank you for the feedback!
I have compensated 1,1% in the model + a layer of filler.
GTSandberg
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 6 2019, 03:45 PM) *

Impressive amount of sheet metal, and casting your own parts takes it up a notch for sure.

Thank you, good to hear Im not the only one who finds fabrication inspiring smile.gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 6 2019, 03:50 PM) *

Stamping dies! aktion035.gif Really impressive fabrication. Keep up the fabulous work.

Not the most sucessful/effiecient project with the dies, but I really enjoy the process of making things myself in the garage. welder.gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 6 2019, 03:59 PM) *

What???!!! shocked[1].gif Truly next level! pray.gif

Thank you biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 6 2019, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(GTSandberg @ Sep 6 2019, 07:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Cool project.
This just happens to be on Ebay right now.
Not affiliated.

Click to view attachment

Thermostat is "missing" the mounting ear, but the bracket looks really nice. Seems to be a good price (but still a quite a lot of money).
GTSandberg
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 6 2019, 09:56 PM) *

you can get the thermo, with ear repo. germany and the preschona valve, germany and usa(armando) but you probably already knew that.. nice to have the capability to make these..

slap.gif popcorn[1].gif

I have seen the preschona reproduction, but not the thermostat..
GTSandberg
And then, some pictures of the brake set up. Not home made this, except the spacer inside the rear discs.

Click to view attachment
Standard 914 and the 914/6 GT

Click to view attachment
Spacer

Click to view attachment
rear assembly

Click to view attachment
Front setup (under construction..)

Click to view attachment
911 caliper and paper version of the spacer biggrin.gif
GTSandberg
I bought the project in 2012 (I think..) and most of the time from then to 2016, when I really started working on it again, has been used to ponder about color. The car is originally signal orange, a really cool color. However.. living in the worlds most sparsely populated country , there are not many 914 gt's around, and one of them is signal orange. I can guarantee this car and my car will meet on some cars and coffee in the future. So what else.
The car has been repainted ridiculosly many times and not much of the original paint is saveable, so I consider it a blank canvas.

Click to view attachment
I have never managed to figure out how many layers of paint there are.

Click to view attachment
I fell in love with the Sunoco/Duval livery, so I am quite sure it is going to be like this.

Click to view attachment
Even the cat seems to agree

Click to view attachment
I guess I am fully committed as it has been granted a spot in the living room as well cheer.gif
mepstein
Sunoco/Duval livery - great choice.
I fduval is his son and 914world member.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...44&hl=Duval
GTSandberg
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 11 2019, 02:04 PM) *

Sunoco/Duval livery - great choice.
I fduval is his son and 914world member.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...44&hl=Duval

Interesting read in the link! I have had some contakt with Francois about the yellow color some time ago, very nice and helpful guy!
He thought the yellow was the yellow in the Sunoco logo. I have found some info about this online, and Sunoco had a RAL code in a document (RAL 1018)
This did not look right at all, to much green I think.

Click to view attachment
I painted the inside of the door to see, In my mind the part laying on top has a more similar color..

I have from other sources found other color codes that look better, more red in the yellow. I will try them out.
These are things that may have changed over time I suppose (new versions of the logo)..
defianty
Looks like this is going to be a great build. I've almost finished mine and am already missing the research stage of the project, great fun.
GTSandberg
I have been busy with non Porsche activities last couple of weeks dry.gif , but made some progress on a crucial part of the oil system.
In late august I bought the oil filter bracket (69-71 911S) from a very nice and helpful forum member. The part was corroded quite badly as many of them are, and I got it for a fair price. It was of course a bit of a gamble, fixing magnesium parts is not guaranteed success.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
The surface threatment wears away when the oil filter are tightened, and the magnesium corrodes heavily.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I removed the paint and ground away the corroded areas, it goes surprisingly deep.

Click to view attachment
Material added (two hours of TIG welding by an extremely talented friend).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
After machining, the result was very nice! Only thing to do now is surface treatment.
rick 918-S
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif beerchug.gif
914forme
That is some nice work right there - welding mag is not the easiest task in the world. And when it goes wrong it goes wrong in a big way.

You have understated your friends skills. Hope you take him large amounts of what ever his favorite substance is beer3.gif

GTSandberg
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 4 2019, 12:55 PM) *

That is some nice work right there - welding mag is not the easiest task in the world. And when it goes wrong it goes wrong in a big way.

You have understated your friends skills. Hope you take him large amounts of what ever his favorite substance is beer3.gif

He is definitely the most crucial peace in the puzzle of fixing this part, and his garage is still standing pray.gif
Norskpole
Very impressive! pray.gif
GTSandberg
QUOTE(Norskpole @ Oct 5 2019, 01:37 AM) *

Very impressive! pray.gif

Thank you for all the help John! beerchug.gif
GTSandberg
Finished some details around the oil cooler setup.

Fabricated the protective grille and reinforcement in the trunk floor.

Click to view attachment
Test monting before mesh and paint.

Click to view attachment
Reinforcement.

Click to view attachment
Welded in place

Click to view attachment
Boxing, this stiffens it up!

Click to view attachment
Paint almost dry popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
Final test mounting and scratching paint..
Cairo94507
Nice work and I love the grill. beerchug.gif
gereed75
This project displays some great cradtmanship!!

What mesh did you use and where did you source it?

Very cool
GTSandberg
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 23 2019, 02:00 PM) *

Nice work and I love the grill. beerchug.gif

Thank you, appreciate the feedback!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.