Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle angle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
partwerks
From my trans to my wheels, my axles go uphill at a 10 degree slope. Is that too much?

They angle forward a bit also, but it don't appear to be that much.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
That rear end must be sitting very low. Badly gagged springs?
914Sixer
Looks like aftermarket springs with spacer blocks.
partwerks
So maybe need new springs?
bdstone914
@partwerks

So maybe need new springs?

Hard to say. How does the car sit ? Cant see that much. What kind of shocks? They might be Bilstein with adjustable perches. If so adjust them upward. I dont see spacer blocks. Can you take a good picture with the flash on to show the spring?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 9 2019, 03:56 AM) *

Looks like aftermarket springs with spacer blocks.

Check to see if there's another notch to push the perch up another inch....
Andyrew
Can we see some pics of your trans mount and the spacer block on the trans side?

The v8 conversions move the trans back 1.5" and your forward to back looks good. The angle from the squat could be because the bolts arent tight enough and therefore the transmission is hanging down or the back is simply too low. which judging from the angle of the trailing arm is not the case.

Lets see a profile of the car as it sits.
SirAndy
Actually looks like the transmission is much lower with that conversion.
The problem is that with an angle like that at rest, it's only going to get worse under load.

I'd be worried about the CVs falling apart if you put some serious power through them.
unsure.gif

Andyrew
Ya I think the trans is falling off the hangers. Pretty common on the V8 conversions.

Most conversions put the trans in the stock location just moved back.
partwerks
Maintenace guy at work, and I made a new trans mount on the back to replace the one the mechanic made that was too weak, and one side broke.
I think he reused the old Subie WRX engine bar. The adapter plate I had made at kitcarchassis.com.

Hopefully pictures will help.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Your transmission should be a good 2" higher in the chassis, there's plenty of room above.
popcorn[1].gif

SirAndy
Also, why are your adjustable shocks all the way up?

How short are those springs? They better be tiny ...
unsure.gif

partwerks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2019, 03:32 PM) *

unsure.gif

Probably cuz when ya pay someone to work on it, I would expect them to know more about it than me, but from lots of things I seen. That wasn't always the case.

Are they suppose to be in a different position.
SirAndy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 9 2019, 04:36 PM) *

unsure.gif

Probably cuz when ya pay someone to work on it, I would expect them to know more about it than me, but from lots of things I seen. That wasn't always the case.

Those springs look waaaay too short, which is why the threaded collar is located on top of the highest groove and then the spring perch is on top of the collar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the part of the collar where the perch sits right now is actually above the shock body and thus has limited support.

Hopefully that's just the angle of the picture though ...
blink.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2019, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 9 2019, 04:36 PM) *

unsure.gif

Those springs look waaaay too short, which is why the threaded collar is located on top of the highest groove and then the spring perch is on top of the collar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the part of the collar where the perch sits right now is actually above the shock body and thus has limited support.

Hopefully that's just the angle of the picture though ...
blink.gif

Click to view attachment
BIGKAT_83
Its going to be real low when those rear mounts pull thru. They need the factory washer on the top side of the bolt.
partwerks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 9 2019, 05:22 PM) *

Its going to be real low when those rear mounts pull thru. They need the factory washer on the top side of the bolt.

I just have smaller flat washers on the upper trans mounts, and so are you saying that I need washers with a bigger outside diameter so that it doesn't sag?
BIGKAT_83
This is what you need on the top of mount.
Click to view attachment

This won't do any thing for your "sag" the way it is now if the rubber broke your whole engine and transaxle would fall out.

Fix this before you drive the car
partwerks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 9 2019, 06:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Do I need the round one also, or just the rectangular one on top?
partwerks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2019, 03:29 PM) *

Your transmission should be a good 2" higher in the chassis, there's plenty of room above.
popcorn[1].gif

Would there be some kind of adjustment to allow the trans to be moved up higher, or how does that work with it being attached to the adapter plate. I had it made at kitcarchassis.com
Andyrew
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 9 2019, 07:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It's one piece.
euro911
This is what it should look like

IPB Image
partwerks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2019, 03:29 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Not sure how to do that with it being tied into the adapter plate?
euro911
I just noticed you're not running a 901 trans ... I see your dilemma now
partwerks
I wonder if the adapter plate could be made with an offset, so it could come up higher?
Andyrew
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 12 2019, 05:05 AM) *

I wonder if the adapter plate could be made with an offset, so it could come up higher?

Input shaft on the trans can't move in relation to the position of the engine, so no.

The steel plate mounting the trans to the trans mounts could be bent to raise the back of the trans...

How low is your car? Raising up the rear would be the easiest option.
euro911
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 8 2019, 04:21 PM) *
From my trans to my wheels, my axles go uphill at a 10 degree slope. Is that too much?

Click to view attachment

Something else just came to mind idea.gif ... I'm wondering if you'll need to shorten the axles once you raise the trans upward confused24.gif

What happens when you lift the car? ... is there any binding on the axles when the trailing arms move downward?

popcorn[1].gif
partwerks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 12 2019, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 8 2019, 04:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Something else just came to mind idea.gif ... I'm wondering if you'll need to shorten the axles once you raise the trans upward confused24.gif

What happens when you lift the car? ... is there any binding on the axles when the trailing arms move downward?

popcorn[1].gif

I haven't checked, but custom axles were made for it.
I have a Craig Davies remote WP, and wonder if the engine could still be moved ahead a tweek, then maybe could raise it up some? Right now the back is about a thumb's width at the back of the engine bay, towards the top from hitting. I would imagine if I was able to move the trans up, to some degree, I would have to take some off the length of the axles.
euro911
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 12 2019, 05:05 AM) *
Possibly.

Hard to tell how much 'wiggle room' you've got from the pic angles we're seeing. How much room is there between the sides of the trans in relation to the mounting points?

Also, measure the clearance above the trans to determine how much it can move up.

See if something like this will work for you. Modify the existing bracket to lower the mounting points on each side of the trans while leaving enough clearance that the top of the trans doesn't hit the trunk floor.

Click to view attachment
partwerks
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks like at the top of that adapter plate, there would be at least 1 1/2"-1 3/4" it could go up yet. Just eyeballing it.

Got my top plates in for the mounts, but no difference than before, other than won't pull through.

partwerks
These shocks and springs are at least 13 years old. I don't know how long before that, the previous owner had them, and so maybe it is time to change them out?
Andyrew
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 13 2019, 06:34 PM) *

These shocks and springs are at least 13 years old. I don't know how long before that, the previous owner had them, and so maybe it is time to change them out?

Can we get a pic of the side of the car to see how low you are?
partwerks
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 13 2019, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 13 2019, 06:34 PM) *

Can we get a pic of the side of the car to see how low you are?

I will make a note of that for Saturday.
Andyrew
It's low but I've seen lower. I say modify transmission mount.
Krieger
I love that color!
76-914
You can pick up another 2" if you delete the Porsche factory donut hanger at the trans and use the Subaru OEM trans support.

Click to view attachment
partwerks
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 16 2019, 06:20 AM) *

I love that color!

Thanks.
It was originally Green, but the previous owner had it black. This one replaced the 3.6 conversion I had stolen back in 2006, and so I had it painted a color I like.
partwerks
Will putting on new springs help with the angle on the axles?
Andyrew
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 23 2019, 04:43 AM) *

Will putting on new springs help with the angle on the axles?

Yes but it would raise your rear ride height.

How long have you had it setup like this? Have you ever blown an axle? It might be a case of don't fix what's not broken.... Sure it can be improved but at what cost...
euro911
The stance (ride height) of your car looks fine. I'd look into the original thought of raising the transaxle up a couple inches.
partwerks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 23 2019, 11:56 AM) *

The stance (ride height) of your car looks fine. I'd look into the original thought of raising the transaxle up a couple inches.

The back is 1" lower than the front, and that was measuring to the bottom of the fender lip.

There is room above the trans, but the top/back part of the engine is close to the back of the engine bay, or where the front of the trunk area would be. I think I might have a bit more room to move the engine ahead, and then I would probably have more clearance to move everything up together.

I was told: It is a little low. Those are Bilstein and they seldom go bad. New springs may be in order.

euro911
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 10 2019, 06:53 PM) *
IPB Image
It's one piece.

I think I have some spare ones you can have ... let me look for them. They don't look as bright and shiny as that one though rolleyes.gif

Also, not sure how long your springs are, but someone posted a couple pairs of 10" in the classifieds recently (good price too $45./pr shipped) ... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340742
partwerks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 23 2019, 07:15 PM) *

IPB Image
It's one piece.

I think I have some spare ones you can have ... let me look for them. They don't look as bright and shiny as that one though rolleyes.gif

Also, not sure how long your springs are, but someone posted a couple pairs of 10" in the classifieds recently (good price too $45./pr shipped) ... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340742

It looks like you are near the end of adjustment. New springs with around 180# may be required if the car is too low in the rear. The front torsion bars may have been adjusted to match the rear ride height. When you are finished, the front should never be higher than rear.
partwerks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 23 2019, 07:15 PM) *

IPB Image
It's one piece.

I'm not sure how heavy of springs I would need for an LS3 engine, but 265lbs sounds awful heavy. I just drive it on the street, not race.

Also, when replacing the springs, does that have anything to do with the alignment on the trailing arms?
euro911
Certain things need to be identified. Is it an aluminum or cast iron block? Difference is about 100 lbs right there. Regardless, a complete LS3 is probably almost double of a stock Type-4 motor. I believe most guys with V8 conversions install higher weight springs, but I'll let them chime in on that.

The height of coil over springs is the most important issue. You have the capability to adjust the height with the set-up you have on there now.

You shouldn't need to adjust the trailing arms, but you might want to check the toe and camber anyway - and have aligned as needed.

Let me know if you want the trans mount plates ... it will entice me to put some diligence into looking for them laugh.gif
euro911
Can you shorten the upright sections of the trans mount to gain a couple inches of upward movement?
partwerks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 25 2019, 05:51 PM) *

Can you shorten the upright sections of the trans mount to gain a couple inches of upward movement?

Can't go any further forward, or up. Belt pulley is close, and so is the top/back part of that black, whatever it's called, is about 3/8" from the back part of the engine bay.
I think Renegade used the LS6 he says in the video. 400 horse. Maybe I need to go down to a six instead of this 8 for more room??

Renegade Hybrids told me:
Unfortunately the adaptation and everything is completely different from the 5 speed to the 6 speed. The 6 speed transmission can be adapted to the LS3 but requires a completely new setup.
Everything that mounts the LS engine into the chassis should remain the same its just that adaptation to the transmission that needs to change, the transmission mounting, axles, ect.
partwerks
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 25 2019, 05:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Are you saying to cut the flat bars loose on top of the main bracket, and jack the trans up higher, and then reweld the flat bars?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.