Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a big issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
Noticed the engine bracket is bent. Not to worry, the engine will probably be dropped to replace and remove the oil cooler. Good times.... hissyfit.gif
URY914
Not a biggie. Mine was bent one time.
RolinkHaus
Forgot the pic

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Bolt not bracket, and yes replace it.
914Sixer
Get one of Bruce Stone's HD brackets and not worry about it again.
RolinkHaus
914Sixer,

Where can I get them?
Mikey914
The "mount" is not bent. just the bolt. If you run over a speed bump that has some height you will do this again. Jack it up. unbolt and go to your local hardware store. should be about $3 give or take.
I do have some of Bruce's kits but really it's only one bolt. put the bling on it when you drop and clean.
sixnotfour
engine mounts probably separated too..
RolinkHaus
Are these mounts interchangeable with my set up?

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 8 2019, 03:16 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Pictured mount you show here would be for the 1970-72 model years, as the Outboard - Located style. These attach at the engine bar Left and Right ends, and then the engine is attached (solid) directly to the center of this bar.. 1973-up style is what you are running; with solid mounted Outboard...and the different style neoprene/ studded mounts (center of bar) that are shown in prev post. The latter is required in your model year...and a new bolt ¡
Olympic 914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 7 2019, 08:49 PM) *

Not to dis Bruce's products but it is not a bad idea to have a weak link there. If you hit something its better to have the bolt bend or the U bracket bend. you can easily hammer the U bracket back into shape or replace the bolt. you don't want to strengthen the bracket and have the motor mount welded to the body bend instead.

JMHO

Don't be surprised if the bolts break off. just apply some heat and drive the piece out.
RolinkHaus
Good point. I think I’m just going replace the factory parts.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Oct 8 2019, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 7 2019, 08:49 PM) *

Not to dis Bruce's products but it is not a bad idea to have a weak link there. If you hit something its better to have the bolt bend or the U bracket bend. you can easily hammer the U bracket back into shape or replace the bolt. you don't want to strengthen the bracket and have the motor mount welded to the body bend instead.

JMHO

Don't be surprised if the bolts break off. just apply some heat and drive the piece out.

My brackets are only a few thousand thicker than original. The bolts will still bend when hit.
Mist if those brackets are bent from lifting the car from the engine bar.
That's why I remade them.
bdstone914
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 7 2019, 04:08 PM) *

Noticed the engine bracket is bent. Not to worry, the engine will probably be dropped to replace and remove the oil cooler. Good times.... hissyfit.gif

Both the bolt and bracket are probably bent. When you replace them insert the bolt from the bottom. When the car bottoms out it prevents the threads from damage making removal difficult.
Bruce
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the bolt is upside down
davep
Bruce & George are correct, the head of the bolt should be at the bottom. The channel bracket will be bent; I've not see a used one in nearly 50 years that wasn't. May as well use new ones like Bruce sells; that kit looks well thought out. Make sure the holes in the bar are clean and well greased; I've seen many bolts seized in the bars. I would grease and cap the exposed threads when done.
Literati914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 8 2019, 06:12 AM) *

QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 8 2019, 03:16 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Pictured mount you show here would be for the 1970-72 model years, as the Outboard - Located style. These attach at the engine bar Left and Right ends, and then the engine is attached (solid) directly to the center of this bar..

Does anyone have a picture of these installed ? I keep reading these go on the ends on early cars but have never seen it.. and now I've got a '72 I'm messing with. TIA.
sixnotfour
After 50 yrs ,,it really matters which transmission you have,, early tail shift(lower pic)... later side shift(upper pic)..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.