Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade Instructions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Dunc
I purchased a Renegade repowered 914. I am considering installing a crate engine, and I would appreciate it if anybody has the manual or the instructions published by Renegade. Thanks.
jimkelly
dunc, please start a thread in GARAGE and keep it VERY updated with photos and words smile.gif

please post a bunch of pics of the car and interior, but mostly a bunch of engine bay from top and bottom.

depending on engine you use and engine in there already, you may or may not be able to use everything you already have, something to due with older or newer than 1986.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/SBC/SBC.html

i'd email renegade, they are pretty decent guys and may send you some literature/instructions if you tell them your story.

also in my signature below, i have links to a few chevy builds.
DickSteinkamp
Renegade makes kits to repower the 914 with the traditional SBC, the LS motors, and Subaru. Which is yours?

Is your car running and driving and you just want to replace the motor?

I recently finished putting a SBC in my 914 using Renegade parts. If I can help, let me know. I'm in Bellingham.
Jett
QUOTE(Dunc @ Oct 19 2019, 08:33 PM) *

I purchased a Renegade repowered 914. I am considering installing a crate engine, and I would appreciate it if anybody has the manual or the instructions published by Renegade. Thanks.

Btw. We just replaced our new LS2 crate motor and ProCharger (and billet pulleys) with a new LS7... we liked the LS2 but unfortunately there was not enough space for the plumbing and we wanted over 500 HP. The motor is in Puyallup at CHC concepts. If we don’t sell the motor we will be forced to buy an old 48 Chevy truck to put it in smile.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 20 2019, 07:39 AM) *

depending on engine you use and engine in there already, you may or may not be able to use everything you already have, something to due with older or newer than 1986.

Good point. The 86 and newer SBCs had many changes relative to the early ones. One piece crank seal, roller lifters, valve cover hold down bolts through the middle of the valve cover, intake manifold center bolts at a different angle than the others, etc.

But the biggest change for our purposes is that the later SBCs were externally balanced and had a unique flywheel to crank bolt pattern. They require a different KEP flywheel than the early SBCs.

Dunc
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 20 2019, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 20 2019, 07:39 AM) *

Good point. The 86 and newer SBCs had many changes relative to the early ones. One piece crank seal, roller lifters, valve cover hold down bolts through the middle of the valve cover, intake manifold center bolts at a different angle than the others, etc.

But the biggest change for our purposes is that the later SBCs were externally balanced and had a unique flywheel to crank bolt pattern. They require a different KEP flywheel than the early SBCs.

All you guys. Thanks for the info. Dick, based on your comments, I am fairly sure that I have a pre 86 sbc. But to be sure, I will find the part # on the block. My problem will be that the crate motors are probably all post 86. The problem I encountered with Renegade was that they wanted to charge for the instructions, thus my initial post. BTW, the car is located in Kennewick, WA. Not too far from Bellingham. You probably know the car because I bought it from a guy in Port Townshend. Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted.

Dunc.
Gearup
Removed.
Gearup
Removed
DickSteinkamp
Plenty of the 85 and older crate motors available direct from GM (new)

GM Small Block Crate Motors

Or from Jegs or Summit as rebuilt motors

You can also have yours rebuilt by a local rebuilder. They can all do SBCs.

The pre 85 SBCs are probably still the most popular engines in swaps of all types

What is it you need instructions for? Maybe we can help.

When I bought the basic kit from Renegade, there were no instructions provided and their phone help sucked. The crew here was far more help than Renegade.

To tell what you have, look at the valve covers. If they have 4 hold down bolts around the perimeter, it is a pre 85 motor...

IPB Image

If they have 4 bolts down the middle of the valve cover it is an 86 or newer...

IPB Image
Dunc
Based on the valve covers, mine is definitely pre 86. The block is a p.o.s 283. Crank is 327. So the motor is a sucky 307. Heads are refurbished. I have a 901 xmssn, which I plan to upgrade with heavier duty axles. I figure the xmssn will be good for 330hp with the heavier axles. So the plan is to just get a crate motor. My concern all along has been about any mods that must be done to the replacement engine before installing it.

I will stay in contact. Thanks again for the help.

Dunc
jimkelly
the main mods of front wheel well cuts for air flow flow and two holes in front truck for the coolant lines. lengthen engine bay shift rod, acceleration cable and linkage to carb, radiator install.

a pos 307 will move you car along just fine, the limiting factor for highway driving is the trans gearing, 3500 rpm at 7-0 mph plus minus, thus guys use porsche boxster s transaxles for strength too.

i say get it together with what you have and you can always upgrade down the road.

see my thread for a primer.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=142240
Dunc
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 25 2019, 02:07 PM) *

the main mods of front wheel well cuts for air flow flow and two holes in front truck for the coolant lines. lengthen engine bay shift rod, acceleration cable and linkage to carb, radiator install.

a pos 307 will move you car along just fine, the limiting factor for highway driving is the trans gearing, 3500 rpm at 7-0 mph plus minus, thus guys use porsche boxster s transaxles for strength too.

i say get it together with what you have and you can always upgrade down the road.

see my thread for a primer.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=142240

Thanks for the tips. I will keep you posted, and will send some pics.
Gearup
I have a rebuilt 283 with tons of goodies in it. Estimating 320 ish HP. I have been repeatedly told the 283 is an excellent engine for an SBC swap. Higher revving, less torque. I just bought an LS1 and Boxster S trans. Do you have need of any Renegade kit parts. I have the full kit an Kaboodle plus the engine if you do.
Dunc
QUOTE(Gearup @ Oct 26 2019, 10:12 AM) *

I have a rebuilt 283 with tons of goodies in it. Estimating 320 ish HP. I have been repeatedly told the 283 is an excellent engine for an SBC swap. Higher revving, less torque. I just bought an LS1 and Boxster S trans. Do you have need of any Renegade kit parts. I have the full kit an Kaboodle plus the engine if you do.

Hi Gearup,

Thanks for the post.

What is your price for the motor? How long since it ran? and what's its location.

Dunc

Dunc

Forgot to ask:

What renegade parts do you have?
jimkelly
gearup's offer looks worth looking into

i found these pics but the stuff is a bit outdated i think ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr3Gwyl_FcE
DickSteinkamp
I'm still somewhat unsure as to what you need.

Do you currently have a running/driving car that has had a SBC V8 conversion using Renegade parts and you just want to remove the 307 and replace it with a 350?

or...???

jimkelly
dick here is a quote on another thread from dunc. seems he has a non or poorly running 307.

"Based on the valve covers, mine is definitely pre 86. The block is a p.o.s 283. Crank is 327. So the motor is a sucky 307. Heads are refurbished. I have a 901 xmssn, which I plan to upgrade with heavier duty axles. I figure the xmssn will be good for 330hp with the heavier axles. So the plan is to just get a crate motor. My concern all along has been about any mods that must be done to the replacement engine before installing it. I will stay in contact. Thanks again for the help. Dunc "
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 27 2019, 11:49 AM) *

dick here is a quote on another thread from dunc. seems he has a non or poorly running 307.

"Based on the valve covers, mine is definitely pre 86. The block is a p.o.s 283. Crank is 327. So the motor is a sucky 307. Heads are refurbished. I have a 901 xmssn, which I plan to upgrade with heavier duty axles. I figure the xmssn will be good for 330hp with the heavier axles. So the plan is to just get a crate motor. My concern all along has been about any mods that must be done to the replacement engine before installing it. I will stay in contact. Thanks again for the help. Dunc "

Yea, I saw that Jim. I couldn't tell if he just didn't like any 307s (and 283s apparently) for some reason or if his was in need of replacement. ALL 307s have the 283 bore and the 327 stroke.

I was also unsure of why he needed the Renegade instructions if it was just a 1/1 exchange of one SBC for another.

If that's all it is...a 350 to replace a 307....should be pretty simple.
Dunc
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 27 2019, 12:10 PM) *

Yea, I saw that Jim. I couldn't tell if he just didn't like any 307s (and 283s apparently) for some reason or if his was in need of replacement. ALL 307s have the 283 bore and the 327 stroke.

I was also unsure of why he needed the Renegade instructions if it was just a 1/1 exchange of one SBC for another.

Actually that sums up the situation. The 307 doesn't have enough grunt. It runs ok, but I think that a 327 or 350 is the better alternative. I haven't heard anybody say that any mods to the engine are necessary, so I assume it is a straight swap out. By the way, I never heard a $ amount for the 283. Did I miss something?

With that said, this conversation seems more in line with the Garage Forum, so as any more questions occur, I will start a thread on that forum.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Dunc @ Oct 27 2019, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 27 2019, 12:10 PM) *

Actually that sums up the situation. The 307 doesn't have enough grunt. It runs ok, but I think that a 327 or 350 is the better alternative. I haven't heard anybody say that any mods to the engine are necessary, so I assume it is a straight swap out. By the way, I never heard a $ amount for the 283. Did I miss something?

With that said, this conversation seems more in line with the Garage Forum, so as any more questions occur, I will start a thread on that forum.

Thanks, Dunc.

Gearup
QUOTE(Dunc @ Oct 26 2019, 08:37 PM) *

Hi Gearup,

Thanks for the post.

What is your price for the motor? How long since it ran? and what's its location.

Dunc

Sorry Dunc. Didn’t mean to ignore you. Been slammed. I literally have everything. I am going to use the cooling system and that’s about it. I have the full renegade SBC kit with mounting for AC as well (I have the compressor new in box from them as well) Plus I have:

Rebuilt 901 with aluminum billet intermediate plate by Brad Mayeur (Never Installed)
Renegade Heavy duty axles (Red) (New in box)
Renegade Heavy Duty Clutch (Full assembly)
Coolant filler neck (not in SBC kit) Renegade

It’s crazy what great parts I have accumulated over the past years.

I also have:

Flipped 915 with low miles and comes with everything needed to mount into your car along with items needed for the engine. Plug and play.

Heavy Duty axles for this as well.
Heavy Duty Chevy Clutch
Heavy duty starter
Trans Mount bracket and mounts
Engine Mounts
Etc etc etc...
Oh and a Patrick Motorsport cable shifter. This 915 was installed and run less than a 1000 miles.

Oh and..... I have 914 5 lug converted front struts and rotors set up for BMW calipers which I have...

The real question is I need to spend some time thinking about pricing.

The 283 is a Fresh rebuild. My mechanic owned a home shop and he did every trick he knew to the heads. Kieth Black Pistons, gapless rings, roller rockers, etc. He was thinking he could get 320 ish HP out of it with normal gas.

Oh and a 914 Rennshifter Used...

I better stop because I will just keep remembering stuff. Biggest question is what do you need?

Brett
Dunc
Holy Mackeral!!! Thanks for your response.

So, think about pricing for:
1. the motor
2. heavy duty axles for the 901
3. struts and BMW calipers.

Dunc.

Dunc
QUOTE(Gearup @ Oct 26 2019, 09:12 AM) *

I messaged you.

Dunc
drdamiansmith
Do you have pricing for the flipped 915 transmission and the heavy duty axles?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.