Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Austin TX car scene?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
Heading to Austin, TX this next week to see the USGP F1. Is there a Cars & Coffee of some kind over the weekend? Is there a local group of 914s in the area that get together? Any other recommended "must go to" in Austin? First time there.

@admin

If this should be in "the sandbox" please move. It is not really 914 content. Sorry.
bzettner
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 27 2019, 04:39 PM) *

Heading to Austin, TX this next week to see the USGP F1. Is there a Cars & Coffee of some kind over the weekend? Is there a local group of 914s in the area that get together? Any other recommended "must go to" in Austin? First time there.

@admin

If this should be in "the sandbox" please move. It is not really 914 content. Sorry.

Sorry about Austin traffic in advance...it's the WORST! Hopefully you're renting a car because driving a manual in Austin is absolute clutch abuse. If you like music/bars, 6th street is the place. Careful where you park. It's not the laid back locale of 30 years ago...oh yeah, the city council recently made it legal for the homeless to set up camp in any public place, watch your step. I'm sure some local 914 guys can direct you around the madness to meet your expectations, but I just avoid Austin nowadays. Have fun race watching!
Maltese Falcon
Not from the Austin area, but when we travelled there to our engine builder...really liked Rudy's Barbeque chowtime.gif
Their sign even says " Worst bbq in Texas" which is 100% wrong !
Several locations too
ClayPerrine
I hope you got your hotel reservations about 6 months ago, otherwise you won't find a place to sleep within 100 miles of Austin on the F1 Weekend.

We are regulars at COTA, so we know the area well. It's a bit of a drive, but go to Marble Falls and eat at the Blue Bonnet Cafe. The food is excellent, and the Pie is to die for. Don't leave without getting some.

I would also suggest checking out Salt Lick Barbecue. Really good food there.

Or if you are homesick, go to downtown Austin. It is getting to be just like LA with all the migrants from there.

But most of all, enjoy the race. F1 is an unbelievable circus.
drem914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 28 2019, 05:48 AM) *

I hope you got your hotel reservations about 6 months ago, otherwise you won't find a place to sleep within 100 miles of Austin on the F1 Weekend.

We are regulars at COTA, so we know the area well. It's a bit of a drive, but go to Marble Falls and eat at the Blue Bonnet Cafe. The food is excellent, and the Pie is to die for. Don't leave without getting some.

Or if you are homesick, go to downtown Austin. It is getting to be just like LA with all the migrants from there.

Thanks all for the info. Yep staying outside of town. Got our rooms months ago at a reasonable rate, not the gouging one they are currently charging. Have tickets for all three days. I have heard about the city council moves recently. Same reason we stay away from downtown LA unless we HAVE to go there for a concert or meeting.
theleschyouknow
second the salt lick suggestion
if youre staying nearer round rock they've got a location there too now -never been to rr but its hard to beat the driftwood location for atmosphere
if you're in the mood for dive bar with a great sunset go to dry creek saloon out on mt bonnel road -the last jukebox in austin still playing 45s
beerchug.gif
cjl
drem914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 28 2019, 05:48 AM) *

@ClayPerrine
Are there any local car hangouts or other events during the F1 week/weekend that we should check out?
Going to give Salt Lick a try. We are out near I35 and Parmer Road for the long weekend.
aharder
Great Breakfast place is Cafe Java. It's close to where your staying.
It's on Metric Blvd off of Palmer.
Rand
Austin is FULL of custom car shops!!! It's crazy. I don't know the 914 crowd there, but dang the custom car builders are all over that area, including many of the most famous ones.
914forme
I'll be in town for work at Dell. Did not think about an F1 race that weekend. headbang.gif I fly out on Friday. headbang.gif

I vacationed in Monaco, days before that F1 race also. I never check the F1 schedule and seem to be in conflict with it all the time. Got to watch practice and Red Bull set pole.
a9146luvr
Grab a sandwich from Central Market on Lamar St to eat at the race. Nicest grocery store i've ever shopped at, no 914 parts but lots for the chef of the house! Salt Lick is OK, but for real Texas BBQ try the towns of Lockhart or Luling, best BBQ ever, open til it's gone (probably closed sunday). Have fun!
drem914
Shot of Lewis this last weekend at turn 5 from the grass

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.