Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail panel trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Does anyone remember who it was that restored the aluminum trim? I would love to have my sail panel trim redone rather then spending 200 each new
mepstein
I think it was Panel Billy that had his done.
Jett
We’ve used King of Trim
ConeDodger
Pro tip: Have all your trim done at the same time. After straightening and polishing, the last step is anodizing. If it’s all done at the same time, it will all look the same. Different batch on a different day will get you a different finish.
(Thanks @Harvey Weidman)
mb911
I wonder what average cost is for this service?
dcheek
You can get them new from these guys:

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsc...b52-131i-101097

Dave
PanelBilly
It was expensive and i ended up buying new ones after the fact.
UROpartsman
Coincidentally Rob-O just mentioned sail panel trim on another thread.
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 6 2019, 08:41 PM) *
Porsche has these (repops) in stock. I bought some from Sierra Madre. Passenger side fit well, drivers side fit terrible. I tried a couple before I gave up and got a refund. The drivers side all have an incorrect curve. It causes the ends (the ones that usually have a screw hole) to sit at an angle instead of a straight line that runs from the mesh engine grill caps.

It might be a bit early to mention it, but we've been developing our own sail panel trim. Probably won't have them available for another six months to a year, but we're on round #2 of prototypes and are making good progress. They're very difficult items to get right and it's taking a long time, but they'll be worth the effort.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
how about al reed in california?

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 5 2019, 07:49 PM) *

Does anyone remember who it was that restored the aluminum trim? I would love to have my sail panel trim redone rather then spending 200 each new

dr914@autoatlanta.com
excellent! Please keep up the good work, we need more quality parts for the 914s.

Please keep in mind when you remake the parts, that the new rear roll bar chrome Porsche is selling does not fit worth a flip compared to the old originals, so you may want to consider copying an old one rather than new Porsche stock

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Nov 8 2019, 10:34 AM) *

Coincidentally Rob-O just mentioned sail panel trim on another thread.
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 6 2019, 08:41 PM) *
Porsche has these (repops) in stock. I bought some from Sierra Madre. Passenger side fit well, drivers side fit terrible. I tried a couple before I gave up and got a refund. The drivers side all have an incorrect curve. It causes the ends (the ones that usually have a screw hole) to sit at an angle instead of a straight line that runs from the mesh engine grill caps.

It might be a bit early to mention it, but we're currently developing these two trim pieces. Probably won't have them available for another six months to a year, but we are on round #2 of prototypes and are making good progress. They're very difficult items to get right, and it's taking a long time. But they'll be worth the effort.

mb911
Just got a quote for 150 each piece to restore.. Guess I will look for black Friday deals..
UROpartsman
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 09:36 AM) *
Please keep in mind when you remake the parts, that the new rear roll bar chrome Porsche is selling does not fit worth a flip compared to the old originals, so you may want to consider copying an old one rather than new Porsche stock.

Noted, thanks!
gms
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Nov 8 2019, 11:34 AM) *

It might be a bit early to mention it, but we've been developing our own sail panel trim. Probably won't have them available for another six months to a year, but we're on round #2 of prototypes and are making good progress. They're very difficult items to get right and it's taking a long time, but they'll be worth the effort.

That is great! I was pleased with the last batch of URO stuff I received.
The rear targa bar trim piece is very nice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.