Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Waiting for AAA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Went for a quick spin. Stopped to get gas. Then no gears. Stick shift feels like nothing is connected to it. Cables underneath car look tight. Any clues while I wait for a tow... mad.gif
BeatNavy
Broken coupler bushing?

Sorry about it sad.gif Get a pic for the flatbed thread.
sixnotfour
weld broke on tube to spline shaft
GregAmy
"Cables"?
Coondog
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 04:17 PM) *

"Cables"?

Yeah sorry my bad shift rod.
Unobtanium-inc
At least you're smart enough to have AAA when driving a classic. I talked to a guy last week whose 911 broke down, the tow home was $400.
rhodyguy
Have a helper move the shift lever back and forth while you watch. If the rear rod moves, check the rear set screw first.
Coondog
Click to view attachment

Yeah I know don’t tow backwards....
In the garage, time to self educate then look at it tomorrow.

Thanks
GregAmy
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 7 2019, 08:19 PM) *
Yeah sorry my bad shift rod.

Nope, fine. Just wanted to ensure we're not talking about an alternate drivetrain install situation.

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 7 2019, 08:20 PM) *

At least you're smart enough to have AAA when driving a classic. I talked to a guy last week whose 911 broke down, the tow home was $400.

Hagerty insurance. Not only covers "agreed value" but also adds recovery.
Steve
I was bit by the coupler bushings. They hide under that boot and crystallize after 40 plus years.
I'm surprised PMS didn't install his firewall bearing, special shift rod and bronze trans bushing.
Coondog
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 7 2019, 05:03 PM) *

I was bit by the coupler bushings. They hide under that boot and crystallize after 40 plus years.
I'm surprised PMS didn't install his firewall bearing, special shift rod and bronze trans bushing.

I know they installed there shift rod, I need to look further into what other parts were replaced.
Gatornapper
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 7 2019, 08:03 PM) *

"Bit"???? while my car is/was in incredible shape with an original 60k miles on it - IT HAD NO COUPLER BUSHINGS! I mean, not even debris left. 3rd to 4th was impossible.

Shifts great now - another 914 owner of a restored '72 (with new bushings) says he wishes his shifted like mine......

GN
Steve
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Nov 7 2019, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 7 2019, 08:03 PM) *

"Bit"???? while my car is/was in incredible shape with an original 60k miles on it - IT HAD NO COUPLER BUSHINGS! I mean, not even debris left. 3rd to 4th was impossible.

Shifts great now - another 914 owner of a restored '72 (with new bushings) says he wishes his shifted like mine......

GN

That’s exactly what happened to mine. I was at WCC 2009 at willow springs. I lost a couple of gears and instead of towing it home, I drove 2 hours back home and was down to one or two gears when I got home. Should have towed it home. I had AAA long distance tow too.
Spoke
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 7 2019, 07:20 PM) *

I have that one beat. 2 years ago my 930 crapped out in Pittsburgh after the Historic Grand Prix car show. Had it towed back to Allentown. $1000. It was the only day it rained for the 3 weeks I was in the 'burgh with the car. I used a whole roll of packing tape closing up the vents and seals of the engine hood.

At issue was a split turbo hose and the green wire of death coming off of the distributor was shorting out.

Ironically the wrecker broke down on the PA Turnpike with....wait for it....a blown turbo hose. After sitting on the side of the Turnpike for 3 hours, his office mate showed up with a replacement hose and we made it back to my place. He knocked $100 off the bill for the breakdown.
Tdskip
What about the threaded pin that holds the coupler to the shift rod ?
Coondog
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 7 2019, 07:54 PM) *

Thats my gut feeling, shifter feels like it’s not connected to anything.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 05:00 PM) *

That’s why I moved away from Hagerty, took over 4 hrs to get a tow when my 930 broke, gal asked me if I had AAA cause it would be quicker as Hagerty didn’t contract with as many sources as AAA. Finally got her home, raised my rates a few months later...
jim_hoyland
Good to hear you got it home...bummer sad.gif
I have Hagery too; but, wasn't aware there is a towing provision; what are he limits for he tow ?
maxwelj
there is a rolled pin in a lever at the back of the transmission, at least on my tail shifter. I sheared one and had that issue.
Tdskip
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Nov 8 2019, 01:17 AM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 7 2019, 05:00 PM) *

That’s why I moved away from Hagerty, took over 4 hrs to get a tow when my 930 broke, gal asked me if I had AAA cause it would be quicker as Hagerty didn’t contract with as many sources as AAA. Finally got her home, raised my rates a few months later...

I think of the Hagerty towing as a safety blanket rather than primary option.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 7 2019, 11:33 PM) *

I’ve got $5 on that being the issue. Hope so, better than most other explanations.
Steve
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 8 2019, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 7 2019, 11:33 PM) *

I’ve got $5 on that being the issue. Hope so, better than most other explanations.

That does sound like the problem, but that should never happen, unless someone used the same screw over again and didn’t use locktite.
Mikey914
I’d bet that’s it.
Mark
Coondog
Rear cone screw was just setting in the plastic cover. COSTCO quick jack made it easy.
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Hence the saying "you're screwed"...

Glad is was a minor thing.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 7 2019, 10:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 7 2019, 07:20 PM) *

I have that one beat. 2 years ago my 930 crapped out in Pittsburgh after the Historic Grand Prix car show. Had it towed back to Allentown. $1000. It was the only day it rained for the 3 weeks I was in the 'burgh with the car. I used a whole roll of packing tape closing up the vents and seals of the engine hood.

At issue was a split turbo hose and the green wire of death coming off of the distributor was shorting out.

Ironically the wrecker broke down on the PA Turnpike with....wait for it....a blown turbo hose. After sitting on the side of the Turnpike for 3 hours, his office mate showed up with a replacement hose and we made it back to my place. He knocked $100 off the bill for the breakdown.

OK I’ll bite. Why Tape the whale tail vents?
Tdskip
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 8 2019, 05:21 PM) *

Rear cone screw was just setting in the plastic cover. COSTCO quick jack made it easy.
Click to view attachment

@Coondog - so you are back and driving?
sb914
Make sure you use a new cone screw or it will back out again.
GregAmy
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 9 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Those are re-usable threads; just use Blue Loc-Tite on it. I clean the threads and use this on all the set screws and they won't back out.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-826034-Quick...s/dp/B01B79EL3O

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 9 2019, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 9 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Those are re-usable threads; just use Blue Loc-Tite on it. I clean the threads and use this on all the set screws and they won't back out.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-826034-Quick...s/dp/B01B79EL3O

IPB Image

agree.gif they sell blue loctite everywhere. It’s all you need.
I think they had a small piece of nylon on the threads that served the same purpose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.