Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why hasn't anybody made.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I was wondering why nobody has produced a stainless heat exchanger "kit" for 914's? I don't mean stainless heat exchangers like the ones that pop up now and then that were made in the past. I mean a kit that would use a separate upper and lower plate that would be held together with "cheese head" screws like the other heater system tin for 914's. Since it seems like a lot of the stock non-stainless metal ones are rusting away it would make it so anybody could cut off their old metal, bolt-on the new stainless halves and be set for life. I'm sure the pipes occasionally rust away but I've seen very few that had messed up exhaust pipes. Seems like it's usually the outers that are wasting away.

I'm also curious who made the stainless ones, how long ago and for how long? I'm sure the initial cost of tooling wouldn't be cheap but it seems like with all the messed-up ones floating around somebody could sell tons of them. They'd be a lot cheaper to ship than a complete heat exchanger as well.

@Mikey914 ? Maybe?
Mikey914
Actually, yes we have been on this for some time. The tooling is a little spendy, I'd look for these to be available end of January. I prefer to have the poo arts in the final stage before we open up the GB.
Yes, and if all goes as plamned these will be quite reasonable.

But this wasn't the big announcement. biggrin.gif
But it is of that caliber.
914bub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 7 2019, 06:43 PM) *

Actually, yes we have been on this for some time. The tooling is a little spendy, I'd look for these to be available end of January. I prefer to have the poo arts in the final stage before we open up the GB.
Yes, and if all goes as plamned these will be quite reasonable.

But this wasn't the big announcement. biggrin.gif
But it is of that caliber.

Cool! I didn't know you were working on those. Anybody have a history on the complete stainless heat exchangers?
mepstein
Well you can get brand new four cylinder stainless steel heat exchangers. The price isn't 914 cheap but pretty reasonable for a product that fits and functions as designed by Porsche and should last another 50 years. Plus there are always used ones available for cheap.
Mikey914
The idea is that we can make a retrofit, that if yours are good, would be a simple procedure to replace. It also puts us one step closer to making a complete unit. You know me. If I can make it we can drive the costs down. Everyone wins. biggrin.gif
914bub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 7 2019, 07:38 PM) *

The idea is that we can make a retrofit, that if yours are good, would be a simple procedure to replace. It also puts us one step closer to making a complete unit. You know me. If I can make it we can drive the costs down. Everyone wins. biggrin.gif

I'm super looking forward to them! I didn't know you could still buy new ones but I bet they're super spendy.
Tbrown4x4
I would be first in line for these. I drive all year and have rusted out 2 or 3 sets of shells. My defroster really struggles to keep up with the freezing rain when the HE's are leaking.

I'm a little wary of the SS HE's and their ability to seal well against the copper crush gasket in the heads. They seem thin compared to the wider surface of the stock casting. In my little world a perfect HE would be the stock mild steel tubing, wrapped in SS shells for durability.
mb911
If Mark can't do them I can.. It sounds like he is already in it so I will stay out of this pool for now.. We are actually looking at making completely new heat exchangers/headers for the 4cyl guys.. We have the 6 cylinder version nailed..
TargaToy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 8 2019, 06:55 AM) *

We are actually looking at making completely new heat exchangers/headers for the 4cyl guys..

This sounds promising.
Mikey914
Thanks Ben,
Did get your PM and we will be stocking his exhaust also.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
at one time the clamshells were made in japan and by someone in northern europe. However what happened is that every one was leery about putting clamshells around the pipes that could have holes in them by now and pass exhaust gasses into the cockpit, killing people. Hence because of sue happy, everyone discontinued them

QUOTE(914bub @ Nov 7 2019, 07:29 PM) *

I was wondering why nobody has produced a stainless heat exchanger "kit" for 914's? I don't mean stainless heat exchangers like the ones that pop up now and then that were made in the past. I mean a kit that would use a separate upper and lower plate that would be held together with "cheese head" screws like the other heater system tin for 914's. Since it seems like a lot of the stock non-stainless metal ones are rusting away it would make it so anybody could cut off their old metal, bolt-on the new stainless halves and be set for life. I'm sure the pipes occasionally rust away but I've seen very few that had messed up exhaust pipes. Seems like it's usually the outers that are wasting away.

I'm also curious who made the stainless ones, how long ago and for how long? I'm sure the initial cost of tooling wouldn't be cheap but it seems like with all the messed-up ones floating around somebody could sell tons of them. They'd be a lot cheaper to ship than a complete heat exchanger as well.

@Mikey914 ? Maybe?

SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 09:26 AM) *

at one time the clamshells were made in japan and by someone in northern europe. However what happened is that every one was leery about putting clamshells around the pipes that could have holes in them by now and pass exhaust gasses into the cockpit, killing people. Hence because of sue happy, everyone discontinued them

agree.gif

I can see liability being an issue, any product like that better come with some extra large fine-print to ensure the manufacturer and/or reseller isn't sued out of existence if someone was to put them on rusted out pipes and subsequently dies from the carbon monoxide in the cabin.
unsure.gif

mb911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 8 2019, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 09:26 AM) *

agree.gif

I can see liability being an issue, any product like that better come with some extra large fine-print to ensure the manufacturer and/or reseller isn't sued out of existence if someone was to put them on rusted out pipes and subsequently dies from the carbon monoxide in the cabin.
unsure.gif

That's a great point..
Mikey914
SSF was making them before they go bought my Adan’s (I think) .
Anyhow, yes liability is an issue. But that is one of the reasons we do testing, and sometimes you see the 3rd or 4th generation of product by the time the GB is even announced.
sixnotfour
SSI, they are for sale online through multiple sources $1500-$1800..did they get the 2.0 tooling when JP dansk bought em ???
https://www.newparts.com/product/ssi-heat-e...BCABEgLoB_D_BwE
Mikey914
I think so.
Good news is we can made for much less and there are some improvements to be made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.