Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The painter wasn't kidding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
I just got these pictures sent to me. The painter got the car on Monday and here's where it's at today (Wednesday).
It's not cut back yet but, that sure is a pretty color. Once the white interior is in there....... This is going to be SWEET!
ValcoOscar
smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
Wow nice Thanksgiving present
Tdskip
Wow - that looks great.
AZBanks
Can't wait to see it come together.
TravisNeff
Holy smokes! 3 day turnaround smilie_pokal.gif
Rusty
That's a great color... but did you take the pictures with a Minecraft camera? biggrin.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Rusty @ Nov 27 2019, 05:13 PM) *

That's a great color... but did you take the pictures with a Minecraft camera? biggrin.gif

Lol I saw that as well..
DickSteinkamp
Just beautiful! Especially with a white interior.
mmichalik
Yeah, they are pretty bad. The painter sent them over via a text but, I'm still pretty stoked about it. smile.gif
Nacho
love Blue cars! congrats looks great cheer.gif
horizontally-opposed
Holy smokes! I take it all the prep was long done?

Color looks GREAT!
dax1969
Very nice, blue is best biggrin.gif

Why is there no blue paint on the longs ? Just asking biggrin.gif

Good luck with putting the car back on the road !

gr
Dax
Cairo94507
That looks great. Congratulations. piratenanner.gif
tvdinnerbythepool
Nice!!!!
76-914
Looks great! I think I know that shop. Did they used to be in Escondido and moved to Valley Center around 2003? If so, they painted my Karmann Ghia. beerchug.gif
mmichalik
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 27 2019, 09:54 PM) *

Holy smokes! I take it all the prep was long done?

Color looks GREAT!

Yes, we spent weeks prep'ing it for paint. It was basically rolled in, the painter masked it up and shot it.
He'll cut it back and buff it out too.
mmichalik
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Nov 27 2019, 11:48 PM) *

Very nice, blue is best biggrin.gif

Why is there no blue paint on the longs ? Just asking biggrin.gif

Good luck with putting the car back on the road !

gr
Dax

I noticed that too. They're going to be cut it.
mmichalik
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 28 2019, 08:16 AM) *

Looks great! I think I know that shop. Did they used to be in Escondido and moved to Valley Center around 2003? If so, they painted my Karmann Ghia. beerchug.gif

It's possible, I'm not sure thought. I know they've been around for a long time. They are just pat Metcalf, on Washington now.
burton73
Looks sweet. How much did they charge you?

I love a blue car.

Bob B
gandalf_025
I told my painter I was in no hurry, use my car
as fill in work and I wouldn’t call and bother him.
Car stayed there for about a year which I was fine with
because it emptied a bay in my garage for the winter.
3 years later and it is still apart...
mmichalik
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 2 2019, 12:56 PM) *

Looks sweet. How much did they charge you?

I love a blue car.

Bob B

We did 100% of the body and paint prep work over the past 4 years so, it was literally rolled off of the trailer and the painter did his magic. Including cutting it back and buffing it out.
That being said, for labor and materials on the paint job, it will be right around $3500.00'ish.
I haven't picked it up yet, traveling on business this week so I have not received the final bill but that was the estimate.
mmichalik
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 2 2019, 03:23 PM) *

I told my painter I was in no hurry, use my car
as fill in work and I wouldn’t call and bother him.
Car stayed there for about a year which I was fine with
me because it emptied a bay in my garage for the winter.
3 years later and it is still apart...

I was worried about that as well but, I am fortunate enough to have a retired father who I pay to work on the car so, he's motivated to help me put it back together.
A total god send, that's for sure plus it's nice to work on a project with my dad.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Dec 3 2019, 08:58 AM) *

I was worried about that as well but, I am fortunate enough to have a retired father who I pay to work on the car so, he's motivated to help me put it back together.
A total god send, that's for sure plus it's nice to work on a project with my dad.

@mmichalik - that is a nice set up, send him down to OC once you are done!
porschetub
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 28 2019, 12:21 PM) *

I just got these pictures sent to me. The painter got the car on Monday and here's where it's at today (Wednesday).
It's not cut back yet but, that sure is a pretty color. Once the white interior is in there....... This is going to be SWEET!

You should go out and buy a lottery ticket as you are one lucky guy to find a painter like that,I think most painters hate the prep work if they don't have staff to do it for them so the work slows.
By the way that paint look fantastic beerchug.gif .
mmichalik
Due to my recent work schedule and business travel, I finally got her back today.
She's all nestled in the garage ready for the longs to be cut in and the reassembly to begin... Where to start is the biggest question right now. confused24.gif
DickSteinkamp
Beautiful!

What do you mean by "ready for the longs to be cut in"?
mmichalik
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Dec 18 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Beautiful!

The color cut in. When I used to paint cars, that was the term for painting areas like that.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Dec 18 2019, 08:21 PM) *

Beautiful!

The color cut in. When I used to paint cars, that was the term for painting areas like that.

OK...thanks. Is there a reason the painter didn't do them at the same time?
mmichalik
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Dec 18 2019, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Dec 18 2019, 08:21 PM) *

Beautiful!

OK...thanks. Is there a reason the painter didn't do them at the same time?

I wasn't sure if I was going to paint them body color or black but, I know that body color is stock so, I decided to go that way. I have extra paint from the engine bay that I can use so, it's a pretty simple task.
Tdskip
@mmichalik - where to start is anywhere, just get one thing done and then another etc, which of course you know.

Deciding on what noise insulation, where and how much is actually a consideration at this point.
mmichalik
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2019, 06:09 AM) *

@mmichalik - where to start is anywhere, just get one thing done and then another etc, which of course you know.

Deciding on what noise insulation, where and how much is actually a consideration at this point.

I saw your post about that. I'm going to dynamat the inside everywhere I can and put the 914Rubber.com back pad in the engine bay.
I don't want it to loose the growl that the '74 has but, I want my wife to be comfortable when we drive. smile.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Dec 19 2019, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2019, 06:09 AM) *

I saw your post about that. I'm going to dynamat the inside everywhere I can and put the 914Rubber.com back pad in the engine bay.
I don't want it to loose the growl that the '74 has but, I want my wife to be comfortable when we drive. smile.gif

Good plan.

Keep us posted and if you need an extra pair of hands don't be shy.

Happy Holidays!
mmichalik
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2019, 06:45 AM) *

Good plan.

Keep us posted and if you need an extra pair of hands don't be shy.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for the offer! Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.