Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Petepat
Hi folks.
I’m new to the forum and new to 914’s which I really like the look of but have actually never driven one! I’m looking to buy but don’t know really know what I should be looking out for? Any words of wisdom from you guys would be very much appreciated. I’m in Sarasota, Florida
Coondog
Buy the best running rust free one you can afford. 73-74 2.0 are the most desirable.
Superhawk996
welcome.png

Drive one 1st then decide. Not everyones cup of tea. Evaulate your skills. If you can't do your own maintenace, these cars can eat you alive.

Other than that - they are great cars but I'm biased. beerchug.gif
JOEPROPER
+1 on buying the best one you can afford. Will save you $ in the long run. welcome.png
Krieger
welcome.png
iankarr
welcome.png
...and to the addiction. You'll find great people in this community who are generous and happy to help. Aside from buying the best car you can afford, and having someone knowledgeable with 914s do a pre-purchase inspection (PPI), I'd check the classifieds section here for cars first. Or put a "WTB" up. Best to buy in the family.

If you're curious about working on these cars, there's a link to a bunch of videos in my signature. Enjoy!
Mark Henry
I'll go one further and say get a small loan if you have to. A sorted car that you can drive now will be way cheaper than any project car that you can't drive for ages. If ever, there's many cases of projects started, stalled and then in the end given away for pennies.

There's one of those cases on page one of the garage right now.
porschetub
agree.gif with all of the above,when I bought mine as a restored roller I had already decided I was past rust cutting,welding,sanding and painting ,fitting the "6" and getting it driving was really enjoyable as I had all the parts to do so with the exception of most of the oil lines.
My last full resto was on a euro Golf mk2 GTI ,did it pretty much full time over 4 months,this is the last full resto I will do.
If you have the skills buy a well sorted daily driver and do a rolling resto,if you have only basic skills buy a really nice car that someone else has spent a fortune on.
Try to organize a test drive of one ,these cars aren't for everybody,good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.