Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Transporter Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mdelwiche
I am looking for recommendations to ship my teener from VA to AZ where it has been is storage for the past five years for a decent price. I’ve looked online and reviews are all over the place so it is really hard to determine who is reputable. I know you get what you pay for, but I am a working on a budget to work otherwise I’d just get one of the bigger names to do it. TIA!Click to view attachment
Minerva's 914
Following!

Just bought a 997 that I need shipped to me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have had good luck with uship.com. You can put it up for bid and then check the shippers feedback rating. Also if you know someone with an account with central dispatch, their rates are very very good
Blue6
That’s a nice looking car. Search here for other threads re; shipping. Lots of horror stories.
mepstein
There’s a 911 at the shop right now that was shipped through uship and received about $30k in damage. I’ve used them to ship my low cost project cars but I wouldn’t use them for anything valued at more than a couple grand.
FlacaProductions
I used Uship without issue - Tampa to Cincinnati area. Do your research and follow your gut. You get what you pay for.
brcacti
At end of June or start of July I had one shipped from CO to AZ. It had oil drippings on the trunk and trans fluid on the front trunk, had to work on it, got 99.5% out..............LUCKY.
I would strongly suggest you have it covered in plastic, all the top during transport.
michael7810
Get a co-driver and drive it out.
iankarr
Whoever you use, definitely make sure it's an enclosed carrier. Especially this time of year.
Morph914
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Dec 30 2019, 10:30 PM) *

Get a co-driver and drive it out.

agree.gif This is the best way if possible to get your car from point A to point B without being damaged. After much research and finding someone that could speak intelligently, I went with a middle priced company. What I found out was that most are just middle men and they broker the job out. This is a very seedy and cut throat business.
My car was delivered with about 1K worth of damage to the rear end.
If you hire a hauler, save up and pay more for a reputable company on the front end, and hopefully you will not have to pay on the back end.

Good Luck,
John
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 30 2019, 04:07 PM) *

we have had good luck with uship.com. You can put it up for bid and then check the shippers feedback rating. Also if you know someone with an account with central dispatch, their rates are very very good

Be very very careful with U-Ship, it's the wild west of shipping. We had a guy one time who didn't want to use my carrier, he saved $100 on U-Ship. The "trucker" who showed up was some dude in a converted motor home full of someone's furniture, he unloaded the furniture, loaded the Porsche, and then re-loaded the furniture, on top of the car.

Also be wary of the big website's, most are just brokers, who will hold your deposit for 6 weeks hoping to find someone to pick it up as cheap as possible.

Cheapest from VA to AZ would be about $700-800 on an unknown open carrier, don't get cheap, go with one of the regular people like Intercity or Reliable, yes you will pay double but it won't get damaged, because if it gets damaged with one of the horror show carriers there is no insurance, ask me how I know. And you can't sue a PO BOX or 20 LLC's.
bretth
Fly out and drive it home with a small uhaul truck and car trailer. Probably 2000 to 2500 bucks to do it yourself plus air fare, hotels, and food. I need to do this cross country again soon and i know it will be taken good care of this way.
stevend914
Reliable Carriers is the way to go, reliablecarriers.com. Not cheap though. But I've also used uship. My last car was shipped through AutoStar Transport with no issues. autostartransport.com
Superhawk996
Reliable and Pilot are the major carriers of the auto industry. They regularly ship one off prototypes and show cars that are not easily replaced.

Not cheap but they are worth it and know what they are doing.

Unobtanium-inc
Another U-Ship nightmare. Had a guy pick up a 911 recently, said he normally does ATV's. We loaded the 911, and he asked where to hook it, etc. He then said he would probably have to take the car on and off 5-6 times picking up and dropping off ATV's. He also mentioned the trailer belonged to his cousin (FL Tag) and the truck was his uncle's (Oregon tag) so if there was a problem, whose insurance would you be dealing with, the cousin, the uncle, the driver? It's not worth the risk.
brcacti
Hello, as mentioned I moved one in start of July from CO to AZ. I looked up who moved it and it was UZtrans. I picked them because they are based where the car was bought from which I thought may be priced right and felt comfortable they just go very local to pick it up. I would strongly suggest everyone moving a car to have plastic covering the whole top of the car because of the cars on top dripping down various fluids on your precious 914. Some one mentioned to pick it up on a full trailer with your own truck, after thinking about it that is probably MOST safe. I don't have a truck to do that.
Minerva's 914
Okay, I've been following this tread and doing a ton of research and I discovered that as a Drivers Club Member with Hagerty I qualify for a special rate with Reliable so I clicked thru the Hagerty website to Reliable and requested a quote. Turns out they came back less than $100 more than anybody else and I know that the car will be protected and delivered safely.

I'm going with the tried and proved.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Jan 2 2020, 10:28 PM) *

Okay, I've been following this tread and doing a ton of research and I discovered that as a Drivers Club Member with Hagerty I qualify for a special rate with Reliable so I clicked thru the Hagerty website to Reliable and requested a quote. Turns out they came back less than $100 more than anybody else and I know that the car will be protected and delivered safely.

I'm going with the tried and proved.

Wow. This is good to know. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.