Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Engine to replace carb'd 2056
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
ptravnic
My 73 orange 914 was recently restored by Brad Mayeur in Peoria, IL (I'm located in Chicago) where the only thing that wasn't replaced/reconditioned was the 2056cc engine that I rebuilt myself. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a terrible engine rebuilder post-2-1117899824.gif and have a couple of busted pistons and an expensive paperweight now on my hands. Hence, I will be procuring a replacement. Something like what Jake/McMark collaborated on years ago would likely do the trick.

Who's got lines on a 2056 (or maybe even a 2270) that can be as close to plug and play as possible? Note, Brad will be doing the swapping but I'm looking to source a suitable replacement engine.

Thanks in advance!

-pt

JOEPROPER
there was a Raby engine for sale here a few days ago. From Oregon I think...
@9144me2enjoy
I think that was the seller, but may not be spelled correctly.
ptravnic
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jan 6 2020, 11:19 AM) *

there was a Raby engine for sale here a few days ago. From Oregon I think...
@9144me2enjoy
I think that was the seller, but may not be spelled correctly.

Thanks - that seller PM'd me a few mins ago. Much appreciated!

-pt
ptravnic
icon_bump.gif

still in the market for the elusive replacement engine...
gman3850
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2342043

needs to be put together but looks like a decent price
9144me2enjoy
I saw this engine on CL out of Portland. This is a engine builder. No affiliation. His posted email address is f5d23b7d82333800a7983d925fd84222@sale.craigslist.org
Tdskip
Why not ring one of the builders here or Vince?
9144me2enjoy
That would make a whole lot more sense! agree.gif
Al Meredith
I've built 2056 engines for myself and for others for years and would be happy to do one for you . The freight may not make it practical. When you install a cam it is necessary to perform cam geometry and that is costly. Most of the engines I build come to $5000 +/- Al .
KevinW
I saw this add on Samba. No affiliation
JOEPROPER
You're not that far from Original Customs. I'd look him up if I were you.
ptravnic
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Feb 6 2020, 08:45 PM) *

You're not that far from Original Customs. I'd look him up if I were you.

Have tried reaching Mark and haven't had much success. I'm guessing he's busy with other things but only a guess.

-pt
rbzymek
I would also suggest a SCAT 2056 long block ($3536) like I purchased last year. I requested 8.5 CR, WEB 73 cam, 40x38 valves on which I re-used my L-Jet FI from the old 1.8. I put on over 1000 miles and it runs great. It also sounds good with a Triad muffler. Next up is a larger (50mm) throttle body from a 2.1 Vanagon.
913B
QUOTE(rbzymek @ Feb 8 2020, 09:14 PM) *

I would also suggest a SCAT 2056 long block ($3536) like I purchased last year. I requested 8.5 CR, WEB 73 cam, 40x38 valves on which I re-used my L-Jet FI from the old 1.8. I put on over 1000 miles and it runs great. It also sounds good with a Triad muffler. Next up is a larger (50mm) throttle body from a 2.1 Vanagon.

That's a good price. There site says assembled "yes" but sold as a kit? I couldn't find their warranty if any? Any regrets about your purchase.

Thanks
rbzymek
No, it's an assembled long block, not a kit. The Summit Racing site shows a 2056 SCAT long block kit for about $200 cheaper but I would prefer that someone else perform the work and keep it from leaking. I looked at my invoice and it actually has 42x38 valves. The warranty is one year and no core is requested. I had a major overheat on the 1.8L so the long block route was the best way to get back on the road quickly. I was disappointed that they could not advise whether to vent or plug the heads. (914word reseach: plug to keep oil from collecting in the valve covers)

It runs fine and so far no regrets.
IronHillRestorations
My luck with used engines has been hit and miss.
rbzymek
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 9 2020, 09:16 AM) *

My luck with used engines has been hit and miss.

Perry,
Can you elaborate on what you consider a used engine? There are no new cases, only P's & C's, rods and newly cast heads. Not sure about new cranks.

Do you mean "used" as in not rebuilt?
Regards,
Ray
Tdskip
I’d assume “used” equals someone else’s engine that has not been fully rebuilt.
yostcorners
Hello PT. I have a complete drivetrain for a 1975 2.0. Please message me for full description if you are interested. Thanks, Jon. (404 838 7444).Click to view attachment
Tdskip
@yostcorners

As with other post forum policy here is prices are required.
yostcorners
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 13 2020, 10:56 AM) *

@yostcorners

This drivetrain came out of a restoration project. It has less than 100 miles on it. It has been in storage for approx. 10 years. The owner drove it to my shop in 2016, and it last ran in Feb. 2019. It is totally complete: side-shift trans., complete exhaust system, fuel injection, sheet metal, engine and trans. mounts, shift linkage etc....... $6000 OBO.
yostcorners
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 13 2020, 10:56 AM) *

@yostcorners

This drivetrain came out of a restoration project. It has less than 100 miles on it. It has been in storage for approx. 10 years. The owner drove it to my shop in 2016, and it last ran in Feb. 2019. It is totally complete: side-shift trans., complete exhaust system, fuel injection, sheet metal, engine and trans. mounts, shift linkage etc....... $6000 OBO.
ptravnic
Thanks for reaching out @yostcorners .

I think the set up that you have seems solid. Unfortunately though I have a Tangerine racing exhaust with minimal use and a recently rebuilt transmission so I wouldn't need about half of what you already have. It probably makes the most sense to keep all of what you have together rather than split it up.
yostcorners
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Feb 14 2020, 12:18 PM) *

Thanks for reaching out @yostcorners .

I think the set up that you have seems solid. Unfortunately though I have a Tangerine racing exhaust with minimal use and a recently rebuilt transmission so I wouldn't need about half of what you already have. It probably makes the most sense to keep all of what you have together rather than split it up.

Thanks
jagalyn
QUOTE(yostcorners @ Feb 13 2020, 09:12 AM) *

What is 'Turn Key' worth... Kind of a plug and play option.
ptravnic
Update - ordered a fresh 2056 from Scat. Going to revert back to FI. Should get delivered to Brad Mayer in ~4-5 weeks.

Fingers crossed this is the year that I put on lots of miles and get lots of use out of it. driving.gif

-pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.