Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift coupler bushing failure- what’s the best replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
DRPHIL914
I have been driving the 914 this week to work , perfect weather and better gas mileage than truck, anyway sudden loss of all gears but 2&3, had just left neighborhood so put car back in garage and last night I found that the shifter coupling bushing was completely gone, all the parts still inside the dirt boot cover, and of course this is a bushing I overlooked last time the motor and trans were out of the car!
It may be the original one . At first I thought I had a cone screw back out but on further inspection found this to be the culprit.

So I see that there are 3-4 variations of these from bronze to stock to poly.

I am wondering if it’s worth spending the extra $25 for the brass ones? Seems there are not any available that I can get over night to get car back on road before next weekend which is a bummer. So any money have suggestion are appreciate, also do we use any lube on installation.

Phil

This brass one looks pretty good how do the work?
76-914
They're awesome. You won't regret buying them. And you'll notice the difference immediately. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
BE Careful when buying bushings. There are TWO types. One is an OVAL and the other is ROUND. Do not get the oval one. I prefer the bronze.
DRPHIL914
Thanks for the info guys I think I will spring for the bronze ones from Pelican/Stoddards if no one here has a set they want to sell
ndfrigi
Dr. Phil, since you will be replacing the coupler bushing, you might want to replace or add the improved firewall bushing like this.

Click to view attachment

edited:
@DrPhil914 this one I installed for a friend and member here also.

Click to view attachment
Robson51
[quote name='ndfrigi' date='Jan 10 2020, 09:50 AM' post='2776224']
Dr. Phil, since you will be replacing the coupler bushing, you might want to replace or add the improved firewall bushing like this.

Click to view attachment

Who makes this one?

Rob

DRPHIL914
Is that one Chris Foley’s or Rixx914parts?
GregAmy
Tangerine Racing (Chris Foley). Installs in minutes.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/transmission.htm

If you really want a nice shifter, get his whole kit, which replaces that goofy plastic thing with a full U-joint. I have it on the race car and it's choice.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/shiftlinkage.htm
euro911
agree.gif

I installed one of Chris' spherical bushings on my '75 (the 'BB') and it really improved the shifting (along with bronze coupler bushings and a bronze shift console bushing).

Click to view attachment

Due to special circumstances, I had to modify the bushing's housing a tad to inset it into the firewall, as I was unable to engage all gears, and didn't want to go through the process to move the motor and trans rearward.

YMMV ... in normal instances, you should be able to bolt (or rivet) it to your firewall without modifications ... especially on a late model's firewall.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
When it comes to replacing the knuckle bushing. You could do brass, but remember thr OEM ones were nylon and they lasted 40 yrs +.
The major investment on this part is the time it takes to do it. You shouldn't have to re do thes eagain in your lifetime.
$6.98 a set + shipping (reg mail is cheap),
But while you have the rod out, replace the bushing at the back as well as the cup.

We also have all the other bushings and bellows if you need them.
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/s...uckle-bushing-1
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 10 2020, 08:46 PM) *

When it comes to replacing the knuckle bushing. You could do brass, but remember thr OEM ones were nylon and they lasted 40 yrs +.
The major investment on this part is the time it takes to do it. You shouldn't have to re do thes eagain in your lifetime.
$6.98 a set + shipping (reg mail is cheap),
But while you have the rod out, replace the bushing at the back as well as the cup.

We also have all the other bushings and bellows if you need them.
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/s...uckle-bushing-1

@Mikey914
Thanks for the tips. I actually replaced all shift bushings, including in front tunnel and the firewall 18 months ago, and the bellows etc too. This sucker I didn’t do because it looked fine, it was all nice and tight, but of course being it was 45 years old I should have anyway. AND when ordered the other stuff back then I am sure I also bought this bushing , had it in my tool box or with other bushings- it’s odd shaped and I have to admit it was there in one of my tool bags or somewhere in the car and of course we moved last year and everything got reorganized, tonight I went thru 3 bins of parts and didn’t find them. Last time I saw them I was going thru stuff to bring and sell at Okteenerfest, and I didn’t know what they were until I saw the images online of them , I feel like an idiot. Well learn something new every day. No big rush but I will probably work on some other stuff tomorrow. Will get at this once new parts are in, order will go in soon.
IronHillRestorations
I have a few sets of NOS Stoddard bushings for 914s (round hole). Let me know if you want a set
Dominic
I had this issue a few back, NONE of the normal suppliers have the correct bushing, most are selling you the URO parts version or something similar made in China...NONE of them fit! Way too much play / slop. Get an NOS original bushing or one of the custom bushings that a few small vendors sell that are made to fit TIGHT. I think one of the vendors on the 914 World makes custom bushings...I forgot where I got it from. Just wanted to warn others and save some frustration.
914forme
I would use a steering shaft U-joint, and figure out the spline on the shift rod. Tangerine's kit makes a huge difference.

I don't even want to know what I have invested in the ability to shift gears with out feeling like I am rowing a boat.
Mikey914
I actually designed mine specifically cor the application. Yes there is a problem with some that the hole for the pin is way to big. Mine is slightly elliptical, but not as exaggerated as the one you speak of. It allows for the pin to stretch the material slightly during installation. My arguement is if you are making an improvement, replace with a steering knuckle.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-7606...jRoCykEQAvD_BwE
Summit has them for about $45.
The question is how far fro. Stock you really want to go?
If you can easily(relative to the other option) replace a stock failed bushing for under $10, that you will probably not have to replace in you lifetime,.
Or
Put in something that will call attention to itself as a non factory modification. Some may value this, some may pay to swap it back.

I'm not planning to sell my car but I kind of look at my choice that way.

Brass or oil bronze is the next choice, but your looking at an "upgrade" that really only will cost more, as you will not recoup the cost in your lifetime.

That's my logic when I made these. It's a simple process to make in oil bronze.
If I'm wrong in my assumptions and enough folks want them, you know me, I'll make them.

dry.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 11 2020, 02:57 PM) *

I would use a steering shaft U-joint, and figure out the spline on the shift rod. Tangerine's kit makes a huge difference.

I don't even want to know what I have invested in the ability to shift gears with out feeling like I am rowing a boat.

The original JWest kit used two U-joints. With a Rennshifter, it feels like a bolt action rifle.
euro911
ahhhh ... A German Mauser? ar15.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 12 2020, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 11 2020, 02:57 PM) *

The original JWest kit used two U-joints. With a Rennshifter, it feels like a bolt action rifle.

So my question then regarding using a steering knuckle, is I’d you use a stock porsch 914 knuckle? And I have 2 newly zinc plated from BD Stone, does the alignment matter.

No cost just- is it plug and play.

Phil
Mikey914
Post up a pic.
I think you have the steering knuckle, as I know he plated them. The knuckle used should be on the shaft as the pin hold it on the knuckle. The aluminum will not plate (unless you add copper), so I'm wondering what ya got.

Mikey914
And these easily pres in with a bench vice
mepstein
Jwest used a splined stub that once welded onto the shift rod, fits into the steering u joint. It does require a bit of cutting and welding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.