Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI - PM Scam Alert
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
SCAM ALERT

Posting this for the world's general knowledge and so no one else is as stupid as I was. I had posted a WTB for some rear late calipers on the classifieds and received a PM from a member saying:

Check out Chris in PA via Hollychris1972 @ gmail.com,he has a set of cores, late rear calipers he wants to part with.

Like the idiot that I am, I did not even notice the username of the sender was "Im_a_scammer_2". Let's attribute that to the fact that I was viewing on my phone and distracted at the time.

Long story short, I email "Chris", exchange a few texts with 707-861-0828 about the condition of the item, send a venmo for $120 and never hear back. After a bit, I got a funny feeling and decided to search his email address which is all over other forums as a known scammer.

So, now not only am I out my money, but I also feel like a huge idiot. Posting this as a big FYI for the forum so that no one else falls victim to the same trap that I did. It's very sad to me that this is what today's world has come down to...
914_7T3
This scam first surfaced in late November on the World. Sorry they got you. Everybody be careful out there.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341951
914werke
If he PM'ed you then he is a registered user? UID?
mountainroads
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jan 13 2020, 07:57 PM) *

SCAM ALERT

Posting this for the world's general knowledge and so no one else is as stupid as I was. I had posted a WTB for some rear late calipers on the classifieds and received a PM from a member saying:

Check out Chris in PA via Hollychris1972 @ gmail.com,he has a set of cores, late rear calipers he wants to part with.

Like the idiot that I am, I did not even notice the username of the sender was "Im_a_scammer_2". Let's attribute that to the fact that I was viewing on my phone and distracted at the time.

Long story short, I email "Chris", exchange a few texts with 707-861-0828 about the condition of the item, send a venmo for $120 and never hear back. After a bit, I got a funny feeling and decided to search his email address which is all over other forums as a known scammer.

So, now not only am I out my money, but I also feel like a huge idiot. Posting this as a big FYI for the forum so that no one else falls victim to the same trap that I did. It's very sad to me that this is what today's world has come down to...

Sorry this happened to you. It's easy to get lulled into trust based on perceived camaraderie. Been bit a couple of times myself (dead tachometer, incomplete workshop manuals). Thankfully nothing major.

Thanks for being willing to admit you were duped so the rest of us could be warned.

- MR
aggiezig
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 13 2020, 10:26 PM) *

If he PM'ed you then he is a registered user? UID?

Not sure what his UID was before - it looks like the mods may have changed it because it now reads "Im_a_scammer_2". Hopefully, the account has been blocked / shutdown. But, the damage is done and I've learned my lesson!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jan 13 2020, 07:57 PM) *

SCAM ALERT

I'm not familiar with Venmo, is there no recourse if you don't get what was promised?
aggiezig
Unfortunately, not. It's not like paypal which offers seller protection. Essentially it's a peer to peer payment network. There's not even a way I've found to report the user. From what I've read online from other's experiences - my money is long gone.

Oh well, it could have been a lot worse. I have a CPA friend that fell for an email scam a few years back when spoofing was "new" and she wired thousands of dollars to someone as a supposed employee advance. She ended up fighting with her insurance company for years and they only eventually covered a little over half.
Mikey914
Sorry to hear it. But at least you didn't buy a set of Fuchs.

Not great, but could have been much worse.
914forme
I am bummed because I sent my last set of -4 rears to PMB as cores for Eric, other wise I would have offered them up to ease the pain a bit.

Not sure what Eric charges for -4 cores, but PMB might be your option to get you back to where you need to be.

Bummer, but thank you for letting us all know it does help the community as a whole.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I am sorry, it is amazing how the internet has brought out all of the GD thieves!
Mikey914
The thieves were there before, just easier when not face to face.
Unfortunately, the bad actors get much of the focus. For the most part they are the minority. We may have to play wack a mole as they keep popping back up, but as a community we can educate each other and make it more difficult for them to scam us.

You definitely did a community service by letting us know. The internet also is a huge deal there too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.