Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick sanity check / look OK?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning. Going to drop the engine on the turbo car today, will make sure to take pictures of the engine that’s in there because I know this has been a point of significant

Does this look OK - will this work as pictured on a ‘75 2.0L set up?

Click to view attachment
barefoot
That exhaust system is stock 75-76 vintage, so it that's what you're after good to go.
Barefoot
Tdskip
Thanks @barefoot , first time putting on of these later ones on so better to ask now then after I've dropped everything (existing exhaust is wildly custom and won't work).
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2020, 10:34 AM) *
first time putting on of these later ones on so better to ask now then after I've dropped everything (existing exhaust is wildly custom and won't work).

In that case, do you have a muffler hanger that will work for the new setup?
You can't just have that boat anchor of an exhaust hang off the back like that without any support.

And do you have the correct stub pipes that mount to the heads?

idea.gif
rhodyguy
Do you have the rest of the parts for installation? As Andy mentioned, those dual muffler exhausts weigh a bunch. Plan on leaving the rear valance off unless you have one that you don't mind ruining.
rjames
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 17 2020, 10:55 AM) *

Do you have the rest of the parts for installation? As Andy mentioned, those dual muffler exhausts weigh a bunch. Plan on leaving the rear valance off unless you have one that you don't mind ruining.

When I briefly ran with a double-dual tip exhaust it fit under the stock valence. YMMV though.

Only lasted a few months before I got wise and backdated the whole system.
brant
Let me know if you need stub pipes
I found a second pair that n my junk last night
sixnotfour
I had that same version on my 73 daily driver.76-2.0. It was well..loud...probably due to age of driver and exhaust..or both....

76 2.0 FI , late model exhaust.
With 2 plugged no power loss , No droning, decent sounding.
3 plugged quiet and some top end power loss.

Everday to and from work 10 miles , I will plug 3 , needing to travel further ie; freeway etc, I will run 2 open 2 closed

If I want to feel racy and annoy everyone including myself 4 open. = that guy
Chi-town
I have a 75-76 hanger if you need it
mtndawg
Wow! That's a nice looking set of 1975 HE's.
Jett
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Jan 17 2020, 03:53 PM) *

Wow! That's a nice looking set of 1975 HE's.

Agreed... I need a pair for our stock 75 2.0
Tdskip
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 17 2020, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2020, 10:34 AM) *
first time putting on of these later ones on so better to ask now then after I've dropped everything (existing exhaust is wildly custom and won't work).

In that case, do you have a muffler hanger that will work for the new setup?
You can't just have that boat anchor of an exhaust hang off the back like that without any support.

And do you have the correct stub pipes that mount to the heads?

idea.gif

@SirAndy - the engine has matching (correct for the year) stub pipes, or at least it looks like it to my eyes.

I have a muffler hanger from a later 2.0L car so I think I am OK here, but need to get everything in place later today to know for sure.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jan 17 2020, 05:49 PM) *

I have a 75-76 hanger if you need it

@Chi-town - thanks, may need to run over for that if I have the wrong one on hand.

I did just open a package from Pelican only to find I ordered the wrong exhaust to muffler gaskets. headbang.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 17 2020, 01:55 PM) *

@rhodyguy - huh, wasn't thinking it was going to cause an issue with the valance.

Guys - should I just try to quickly track down a stock or closer to stock muffler?
Tdskip
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 17 2020, 04:56 PM) *

I had that same version on my 74 daily driver.76-2.0. It was well..loud...probably due to age of driver and exhaust..or both....

76 2.0 FI , late model exhaust.
With 2 plugged no power loss , No droning, decent sounding.
3 plugged quiet and some top end power loss.

Everday to and from work 10 miles , I will plug 3 , needing to travel further ie; freeway etc, I will run 2 open 2 closed

If I want to feel racy and annoy everyone including myself 4 open. = that guy

Thanks @sixnotfour - this muffler was given to me and I was planning on just using it to get the car back on the road. I've heard, ha, other people caution that it is pretty loud. Never occurred to me to simply plug one or more of the tips - clever.
Tdskip
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 17 2020, 03:54 PM) *

Let me know if you need stub pipes
I found a second pair that n my junk last night

Thanks @brant , think I am OK but very helpful of you to offer up.
Jett
I have a Bursch exhaust from local member, and although it appeared unused it had a bit of shelf scratching so we painted. That said, we ended up finding a stock muffler, and not installing the Bursch unit.

Shipping might be expensive, but you can have the muffler with gaskets and new exhaust nuts for $200 + shipping (actual cost).

http://www.burschexhaust.com/75-76-914-1-8...et-Muffler.html

If you are interested, I’ll take some pics
Tdskip
Thanks Jett. As it turns out a local 914 world guy reached out to me yesterday afternoon and I literally just picked up a more stock set up that I will be installing instead of the one I pictured.

Thank you for the post however, hopefully someone else can make good use of it.
Jett
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 18 2020, 12:05 PM) *

Thanks Jett. As it turns out a local 914 world guy reached out to me yesterday afternoon and I literally just picked up a more stock set up that I will be installing instead of the one I pictured.

good deal smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 18 2020, 03:05 PM) *

So did you get early stock HE's? or SSI's?

T1 and 4 any time I've tried a 4-1-2 system it's loud as fuch, on my bus it was so bad I capped one of the tips off.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
heat exchangers are backwards

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 17 2020, 09:40 AM) *

Good morning. Going to drop the engine on the turbo car today, will make sure to take pictures of the engine that’s in there because I know this has been a point of significant

Does this look OK - will this work as pictured on a ‘75 2.0L set up?

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 18 2020, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jan 18 2020, 03:05 PM) *

So did you get early stock HE's? or SSI's?

T1 and 4 any time I've tried a 4-1-2 system it's loud as fuch, on my bus it was so bad I capped one of the tips off.

Hi Mark - going with a stock ‘75 set up for now. Just need to get it back on the road so I can push some other projects forward. I’m thinking this car will likely be the one that gets the 3.2l later this year so trying to keep the spend down for now.

Thanks for asking!

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com - thanks, figured that out when I was test fitting everything on the bench. Got them on, I think anyway, the right way now. Thanks for the eyes on them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.