Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally bought my own 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911GT2
So, I've been a member here since 2011. I've been interested in 914's for longer than that. But to be honest my focus was always in the 356, 912 and 911.

After I sold my 944S2 I went on the hunt for a good 912. Which I did find, and bought... so I thought. We had a gentleman's agreement. Shook the guys hand and planned to pick the car up a week later. Day on forehand the owner started to act weird. Long story short, I didn't buy the 912.

Actually after numerous 'failures' in buying an air-cooled Porsche I got fed up with the entire Porsche scene. I had cash burning in my pocket and so I bought a VW bug instead. And another one. And a 69 westy camper...
One of the bugs ended out as a buggy project the other got sold.

So after just recently selling my buggy I finally bit the bullet and bought my first 914. cheer.gif Finally! The '69 westy stays in the fleet though. That's for weekends with the family.
Click to view attachment

So I bought a '74 1.8. I know the 2.0's are more desirable but for me it's not about the resell value it's about the driving experience. And on paper at least I think the 15 BHP difference for me is not where's it at. And besides, the 2.0 in good state just wasn't within budget.

That brings me to my plans. I'm trying to make it a focussed weekend driver. So I'm planning on new/ better shocks, maybe bigger sway bars, sticky tires, upgraded discs all without losing the stock look.

It's going to take some time the find the proper parts... but since the car is still currently in L.A. at a dealer and I'm located in The Netherlands I still have some time on my hands.
Spoke
welcome.png

Looks like a beautiful car. Good luck with it.

About the 1.8L <> 2.0L difference, those 15HP do make a difference although the 1.8L is still a fun car.
Coondog
Bought from Beverly Hills Car Club !!! Hope you did your homework...... popcorn[1].gif
stevegm
Congratulations! I really like the saddle interiors.
911GT2
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 13 2020, 03:23 AM) *

Bought from Beverly Hills Car Club !!! Hope you did your homework...... popcorn[1].gif

Well I'm buying from abroad. So I must go on what I can find online. They seemed ok. They did help me getting all the information on the car, and I've got a feeling they presented the car in a fair way. I won't know for sure until I see the car live. But for the costs of flying over there inspecting and flying back there can still be some issues an I still come out on top.

914's in europe are more scarce and usually in the same or worse condition only thing is the price is a lot higher.

Also private sellers are a bit more reluctant to help with overseas shipping.

Until now they didn't put a foot wrong though. So for me it has been a pleasant experience.
mepstein
welcome.png
dax1969
Welcome !

I am located in Belgium and you should have put a "want to buy" add in the classified section. Plenty good guys here but you need to take your time.

I really hope your new car is presented correct by the BHCC cause they have a bad reputation (see also the thread and the pictures of the green one !). Hope they have sent you pics of the hellhole and the longs.

if you need advise on shipping/importing just let me know

fyi : I have a 74 out of Florida on the way to Belgium. I only buy fm longtime, reputable 914 world members. I learned the hard way by buying sight unseen fm ebay years ago.

Good luck

Tot wederhoren en zeker lid worden van de 914 club holland

groeten

Dax

jrblackbox
Sweet looking teener!
911GT2
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes maybe I made a mistake buying from BHCC, I won't know until I get the car. Like I said it was represented to me on a reasonable matter. Far better then any seller so far. So I made a choice based upon that.

I can't change that now. If it's really bad, that a life lesson learned. And they always come at a price. Right now, I'm hoping for the best though.
dax1969
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 13 2020, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes maybe I made a mistake buying from BHCC, I won't know until I get the car. Like I said it was represented to me on a reasonable matter. Far better then any seller so far. So I made a choice based upon that.

I can't change that now. If it's really bad, that a life lesson learned. And they always come at a price. Right now, I'm hoping for the best though.

Relax and indeed wait until the car arrives. I didn't say you made a mistake... if it all feels right for you then you should not worry. I guess you know how to work on cars so keeping this one on the road is a good thing ! If you want we can stay in contact cause finding parts for these cars is sometimes a bit challenging in Europe. Most of the good stuff is in the USA but importing can be expensive (bloody customs and taxes).

Keep us posted and once again, welcome here... you can learn a lot from this platform. Mindblowing knowledge here !

bye
Dax

Big Len
She's a beauty. Best of luck !!
Chris H.
As long as it's not rusty you'll be fine. Looks almost exactly like the car I had in college. '74 Sunflower Yellow 1.8 with carbs and a matching cam. Still my favorite of all my 914s.
Steve
If you have all the pictures, post them here for honest feedback. Lots of threads on BHCC, but I don't remember seeing one on this car. Naturally people post the crappy one's for entertainment.
Mueller
Congrats, nice looking car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
What a car! Perfect color perfect wheels and I LOVE the limited edition spoiler

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 13 2020, 03:16 AM) *

So, I've been a member here since 2011. I've been interested in 914's for longer than that. But to be honest my focus was always in the 356, 912 and 911.

After I sold my 944S2 I went on the hunt for a good 912. Which I did find, and bought... so I thought. We had a gentleman's agreement. Shook the guys hand and planned to pick the car up a week later. Day on forehand the owner started to act weird. Long story short, I didn't buy the 912.

Actually after numerous 'failures' in buying an air-cooled Porsche I got fed up with the entire Porsche scene. I had cash burning in my pocket and so I bought a VW bug instead. And another one. And a 69 westy camper...
One of the bugs ended out as a buggy project the other got sold.

So after just recently selling my buggy I finally bit the bullet and bought my first 914. cheer.gif Finally! The '69 westy stays in the fleet though. That's for weekends with the family.
Click to view attachment

So I bought a '74 1.8. I know the 2.0's are more desirable but for me it's not about the resell value it's about the driving experience. And on paper at least I think the 15 BHP difference for me is not where's it at. And besides, the 2.0 in good state just wasn't within budget.

That brings me to my plans. I'm trying to make it a focussed weekend driver. So I'm planning on new/ better shocks, maybe bigger sway bars, sticky tires, upgraded discs all without losing the stock look.

It's going to take some time the find the proper parts... but since the car is still currently in L.A. at a dealer and I'm located in The Netherlands I still have some time on my hands.

kroelofsen
welcome.png
Nice color... I have a 1.8 and currently restoring it... Have fun!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hey don't worry they can all be fixed when needed. Great color and year. Now the madness begins as you begin to modify and make it your own.
AZBanks
Congratulations and welcome to the madness.
76-914
welcome.png
911GT2
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 13 2020, 07:09 AM) *

If you have all the pictures, post them here for honest feedback. Lots of threads on BHCC, but I don't remember seeing one on this car. Naturally people post the crappy one's for entertainment.

Most can be found here: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1974-po...914-c-10551.htm
Coondog
Lots of rust my friend, good luck.
dt4
beige / brown interior - nice
I imported a car last year also but in my case I bought from a member of the club so had the easiest experience possible.

well done for finding the car, do you have more pictures, especially of the interior?

DRPHIL914
hey I just wanted to say that this isn't too bad from what we can see, I don't see under the rockers or full hell hole pictures but it could be way worse! I had way more floor pan and long rust than that and my hell hole was solid. But I still spent about $15,000 all told on all the rust repair, body work and repaint etc. but I only pain $2500 for my car. This will be a nice car and if you can and it runs, as long as brakes are good and body is safe, then drive it and enjoy it for a bit and then get working on some other stuff. Just realize it will be a project. Have fun, enjoy it, you have some people in your area that can direct you to trustworthy body and mechanics. Welcome and keep posting pictures etc of your project once you get the car let us know!!

welcome.png
911GT2
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 13 2020, 10:26 AM) *

hey I just wanted to say that this isn't too bad from what we can see, I don't see under the rockers or full hell hole pictures but it could be way worse! I had way more floor pan and long rust than that and my hell hole was solid. But I still spent about $15,000 all told on all the rust repair, body work and repaint etc. but I only pain $2500 for my car. This will be a nice car and if you can and it runs, as long as brakes are good and body is safe, then drive it and enjoy it for a bit and then get working on some other stuff. Just realize it will be a project. Have fun, enjoy it, you have some people in your area that can direct you to trustworthy body and mechanics. Welcome and keep posting pictures etc of your project once you get the car let us know!!

welcome.png

That is exactly my plan.

I buy these cars to enjoy and drive them. My Westy is a driver to.

Not perfect, but good enough to have fun. And in time some repairs come. That's within expectations.

This is the westy.
Click to view attachment
914forme
I'm going to say enjoy the car. You are going into it with the right attitude, congratulations.

Since you are shipping and if you could, have someone do a post purchase inspection, and get all the parts you might need placed in all the open spaces that car has before going in the container to be shipped over.
PanelBilly
Hello from the Pacific Northwest
Spoke
Nice Westy. What kind of wheels are on it?
914forme
ATS cookie cutters
jagalyn
Best wishes with your new car... enjoy.
bkrantz
Just keep thinking positive. Anything is repairable with enough enthusiasm (and time and money).
Porschef
Just curious, did you consider asking for a PPI here? Many folks are willing to help out.

Hope all works out well for you.
911GT2
QUOTE(Porschef @ Feb 15 2020, 10:33 AM) *

Just curious, did you consider asking for a PPI here? Many folks are willing to help out.

Hope all works out well for you.

Sadly I have not. I couldn't have imagined someone would do that.

I'm amazed at the 914 spirit.

Well buying the 914 is water under the bridge, can't change that now. Let's hope for the best. If not, my mother always told me, "it's only money and that can be replaced".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.